Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dog's bounty show suspended for racism

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
    Try making a conscious effort to walk and talk like a human being and make an effort NOT to use the language of a racist, even in private.
    That's a statement that is going to stay deep within me - thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
      Not really, a name's a name - not matter what light you put it in. And when I said that, I was trying to keep the post "light hearted" See the *big grin* next to the statement? And I get called all kinds of names by him as well.
      I understand you were trying to make a lighthearted statement, and that's fine.

But a name's not a name, not when you're comparing haole to the N-word. Haole is a cultural term that has evolved (devolved?) into a sometimes, but not always, derogatory term, but the N-word means centuries worth of hate and greed perpetuated by those in power.

My point is that nobody can truly know how horrible it feels to hear that word, unless you're black. I refuse myself to use the other form of the word, which is used as a term of endearment amongst many ethnic minorities in the U.S.

I'm not going to judge the context of what Dog was saying, since I wasn't in the phone conversation and I haven't spoken to Dog personally. I'm a big fan of his show myself. I'm just saying that "just saying" the N-word is far from harmless.
      ---
      Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        That's a statement that is going to stay deep within me - thank you.

It's a hard thing to make or break a habit, working on it is a 24/7 thing and not a matter of convince if you want it there or gone.

Being a human being ain't easy.

Comment

yep bottom line is that none of us here can judge him since we don't know exactly the context, except that it was used in anger towards a specific person. All we know is that in family matters he apparently can lose his cool. And of course we know he doesn't like his son's wife.

Comment

Turns out Dog's been dissing Native Americans, too, right here in Hawaii, at their national education convention last week:

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/pow...i-pow-wow.html

I haven't heard from anyone personally who witnessed this, but I'm sure they're out there. You can't make this stuff up.

I was there at the Powwow later in the evening, and did not see the Chapmans. They could have been there earlier, however.

Blaine
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
              Turns out Dog's been dissing Native Americans, too, right here in Hawaii, at their national education convention last week:

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/pow...i-pow-wow.html

I haven't heard from anyone personally who witnessed this, but I'm sure they're out there. You can't make this stuff up.

I was there at the Powwow later in the evening, and did not see the Chapmans. They could have been there earlier, however.

Blaine
              I'm sure a dancer or a family member has something...shoot just from my own experiences with drums and the pow wow circuit, a lot of drums or the kin of the sticks (the drummers) bring tape recorders or video cams to capture the moment.

Oh....and ~points to #9~ *snicker*

Here's some video of the Pow wow:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/860624...tribal_powwow/

And I agree with the commenter, Beth needed to cover up in that circle.
              Last edited by Peshkwe; November 1, 2007, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Words aren't neutral, but much depends on context and intent. Look at how the word "liberal" is now an epithet.

I'm working on something now in which people use the nigger-word constantly, but it's set in 1861 among some pretty rural people. What's interesting is how much I have to grit my teeth just to type it.

There is no "good" context for such a loaded word, but I think Dog's use of it says much about him. Yanking him off the air shifts the onus instead to the people who are trying to control what we hear and say.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Now that I think about it, it's the nature of Dog's career that he deals constantly with scumbags and ne'er-do-wells. By this point, he probably dislikes all ethnic groups, including his own.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

aloha.....please when discussing this topic ....do not actually use the word. in print it is just as offensive as when heard. do you really have to be told this?
                    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

I need to clarify my earlier post. I heard back from someone who told me it wasn't at NIEA Powwow last Friday, but at a Honolulu Powwow the week before.

E kala mai.

Blaine
                      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

The thing I don't get is that it's clear in Dog's own discussion with his son that Dog realizes the impact using that word would have and how many people would probably interpret his use of that word. He has been in the public eye so much (indeed, has sought to be in the public eye for a long time), it's not as if he didn't know that his behavior would be noticed. So. Why did he use it? It's not like he has Tourette's syndrome (as far as I know). In his conversation with his son, he articulated the reasons he disliked his son's girlfriend and if he as able to articulate his reasons that way, then again, why the use of the "n" word that makes him have to try to explain what he meant by his use of the word and try (however effectively or ineffectively) to distinguish it from the traditional use of the word? I wonder the same about the other "celebrities" who have been caught using racial or anti-homosexual slurs. They all presumably know enough to know that their use of those words would lead to adverse reactions. It's one thing if these people say, yes I said that, so what? I meant what I said. But the ones in the news are all, I didn't mean that. I don't know why I said that. I need soul searching, healing, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                          But the ones in the news are all, I didn't mean that. I don't know why I said that. I need soul searching, healing, etc.
                          Don't forget, "I have to apologize to <insert prominent black leader here>"
                          ---
                          Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                            You're right, no one is perfect but if you're gonna preach without hypocrisy don'cha think it'd help to do da walk to match the talk? How many uses of 'n' did he need to make the point that he thought the son's girlfriend was an opportunist waiting to strike?
                            Yeah, true. But people have to remember he's on a "reality" TV show. Things often get scripted - even his "preachy" messages. He may or may not be as religious as he portrays himself on his show (I don't know the guy in real life). Plus, judging by the language that gets beeped on the show, I chuckle at his "prayer sessions."
                            He did use the n-bomb an aweful lot, though, to make his point. You're right in that respect.

Originally posted by genepark View Post
                            I understand you were trying to make a lighthearted statement, and that's fine.

But a name's not a name, not when you're comparing haole to the N-word. Haole is a cultural term that has evolved (devolved?) into a sometimes, but not always, derogatory term, but the N-word means centuries worth of hate and greed perpetuated by those in power.
                            I disagree. I wasn't very clear, though. What I meant is a BAD name, is a bad name no matter what. My husband dislikes the term Haole because he's heard it used more derogatorily than not. As for the n-word - He grew up in San Diego and heard the word daily, non-derogatively (if there's really a non-derogative way of using it...) Meaning his (black) friends called each other this name without negative context or malice.

I like the show, too, but have never held the Dog to a higher standard just because he's on TV. I think people can say whatever they want if it's in the privacy of their own home. Dog or not. Good words or not.

Peace
                            So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

NATIONAL ENQUIRER WORLD EXCLUSIVE
                              DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER'S RACIST RANT -- CAUGHT ON TAPE!

Wonder how he views us local folk.?

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                                aloha.....please when discussing this topic ....do not actually use the word. in print it is just as offensive as when heard. do you really have to be told this?
                                The word should be used in the discussion. After all it is a word
                                according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.
                                If being used without malice don't be offended, be open to the discussion! To use (N-word) as a word in disussion is ridiculous

Main Entry: nig·ger
                                Function: noun
                                Etymology: alteration of earlier neger, from Middle French negre, from Spanish or Portuguese negro, from negro black, from Latin niger
                                Date: 1786
                                1usually offensive; see usage paragraph below : a black person
                                2usually offensive; see usage paragraph below : a member of any dark-skinned race
                                3: a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons <it's time for somebody to lead all of America's niggers…all the people who feel left out of the political process — Ron Dellums>
                                usage Nigger in senses 1 and 2 can be found in the works of such writers of the past as Joseph Conrad, Mark Twain, and Charles Dickens, but it now ranks as perhaps the most offensive and inflammatory racial slur in English. Its use by and among blacks is not always intended or taken as offensive, but, except in sense 3, it is otherwise a word expressive of racial hatred and bigotry.

Comment

Working...
                                X