X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dog's bounty show suspended for racism

Originally posted by mediababy67 View Post
    That Jesus scares me.

well, we can't have warm and fuzzy forgiving jesus all the time. sometimes we need wrathy-spooky-he's-always-watching-and-omg-i'd-rather-not-tick-him-off-jesus, too.

certain jesus pics are more disturbing to look at than dog chapman himself is.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Doesn't the Bible have something to say about taking delicious pleasure in someone else's misfortune?

I'm not a Dog fan. And to be sure, his "true" character is the focus of this controversy, versus the warm and fuzzy reformed ex-con cartoon character he plays on TV.

But frankly I think this whole flap is ridiculous. He is a cartoon character, on many levels, and that this is suddenly a big serious deal is goofy to me. It's like finding out that Carrot Top made fun of Scientologists. Who cares? Besides, as the saying goes, "Up close, no one looks good." I sincerely doubt all his many critics can say, with a clear conscience, that they've never said hateful things in the heat of the moment.

That he can go from stupid comments in a private phone call (captured and released via treachery within his family, for profit and with malicious intent) to being expected to grovel at the national trough of popular culture is sad. The only thing Americans like than larger-than-life heroes is seeing them squashed like bugs.

Comment

I feel that there's a "BIG" difference between someone promoting a racist agenda in public and a heated private discussion.

We have all said things while pissed off that we regret... be it racial based or otherwise.
        Hopefully the other person involved in the conversation forgave.
        I don't get so worked up over that.

Now on the otherhand...
        ANY racially based organization or individual that puts down another race in public is unacceptable to me. Be honest and realize how much of that is truly going on in Hawaii. Even though we all seem to peacably get along in the street.
        Of course the mainland too.

Hmmm...

Sorry folks, I actually didn't complete the task at hand.
        I don't watch "Dog", but also don't think he should have to pay so dearly for the comments made. IMO
        Last edited by Menehune Man; November 4, 2007, 04:36 PM. Reason: Add "Dog" response
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          Doesn't the Bible have something to say about taking delicious pleasure in someone else's misfortune?
          I don't know about the Bible, but the German language has a word for it: schadenfreude.

Comment

I think the reason people are freaking out is that Chapman was promoted as some sort of role model. He would go out and save humanity by reeling in the the bail jumpers and crack heads, while giving smokey sermons in the back of dark SUVs. For whatever reason, there were people who looked up to him. He made a career of supposedly "being a good guy."

Once he took on this A&E show, and began cultivating this "persona" he should have known that he would be held up to higher standards. It also appears he knew it, too.

That's just my theory.

Of course, he's more than free to say anything he wants. It's just that now his money fountain has dried up given that nobody (namely sponsors) wants anything to do with him.

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
              well, we can't have warm and fuzzy forgiving jesus all the time. sometimes we need wrathy-spooky-he's-always-watching-and-omg-i'd-rather-not-tick-him-off-jesus, too.

certain jesus pics are more disturbing to look at than dog chapman himself is.
              better watch out, ericncyn! your above post was #666.

Comment

Originally posted by mediababy67 View Post
                better watch out, ericncyn! your above post was #666.

not even! it's post #91! *sticks tongue at you*

besides, i don't buy that revelations/numbers crap. according to the biblical scholars i find credible (in other words, the biblical scholars who don't believe in a coming rapture, which, by the way, is never mentioned in the bible), (1) what is now the book of revelations is one book of many of its time that were apocalyptic (kinda how like chick lit is a popular type of literature now) and (2) such books were written as a "release" and response to the very oppressive rule of the romans, particularly nero, whose name, when translated into the numerology techniques from then, is triple six.

but it wouldn't take a numerologist to figure out that dog's show would have been canceled due to some self-afflicted trouble, sooner or later. maybe someday i'll be able to share with you a couple stories about hybrid films, the company that produces "dog the bounty hunter." i'll just say that the producers didn't exactly leave me with a favorable impression. neither did their lawyers. *smirk*
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                  Hopefully the other person involved in the conversation forgave.
                  Maybe you’re describing a conversation somewhat similar to the Chapmans, in a very broad sense. Because if I was Duane Chapman, it would probably take me years to forgive. His son Tucker sold him out and brought shame to the family. To me, that is worse then Duane’s use of the N-word in a private conversation.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    Maybe you’re describing a conversation somewhat similar to the Chapmans, in a very broad sense. Because if I was Duane Chapman, it would probably take me years to forgive. His son Tucker sold him out and brought shame to the family. To me, that is worse then Duane’s use of the N-word in a private conversation.
                    in my opinion, dog has no room to hold grudges against his son, if for no other reason than what he reaped is what he's sowing. if he had been a better parent/role model, it's likely that tucker never would have done what he did. i'm not saying that all sins of all sons are the fault of the fathers, but in this case, i think it applies.

flatly put: it's not surprising that a young man who sells his father out to a tabloid was raised by the kind of man who believes it's okay to use the n-word in the way dog did in the phone conversation, even if it's "just in private" and "in anger."

Comment

• Re: Dog's bounty show suspended for racism

The poster meant that was your 666th post on HT.

Comment

besides, i don't buy that revelations/numbers crap. according to the biblical scholars i find credible (in other words, the biblical scholars who don't believe in a coming rapture, which, by the way, is never mentioned in the bible), (1) what is now the book of revelations is one book of many of its time that were apocalyptic (kinda how like chick lit is a popular type of literature now) and (2) such books were written as a "release" and response to the very oppressive rule of the romans, particularly nero, whose name, when translated into the numerology techniques from then, is triple six.

but it wouldn't take a numerologist to figure out that dog's show would have been canceled due to some self-afflicted trouble, sooner or later. maybe someday i'll be able to share with you a couple stories about hybrid films, the company that produces "dog the bounty hunter." i'll just say that the producers didn't exactly leave me with a favorable impression. neither did their lawyers. *smirk*
                        Wow, what a "public" rant that was. And over a misunderstanding too.
                        If I counted right, you just put down 4 different groups of people, albeit not racially based distinctions.
                        Sheesh. I think your pedestal is cracking...
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                          Wow, what a "public" rant that was. And over a misunderstanding too.
                          If I counted right, you just put down 4 different groups of people, albeit not racially based distinctions.
                          Sheesh. I think your pedestal is cracking...

sheesh, shields down, scottie! ya shoulda known the so-called "rant" was facetious and involved no pedestal (tho i think you meant "soapbox," which was also not involved). i mean, i DID stick tongue at you, see --->?

as for the post number, how do you tell that?

Comment

as for the post number, how do you tell that?
                            I think he was referring to YOUR # of posts number...located in the right hand of the post:

That's for your last post. At the time you posted the "Jesus" post, it read 666
                            So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologize in advance if this has already been expressed.

I can't help but think that the gist of his conversation centered on his belief that there are black people.......and then there are ni**ers. Kind of like the whole white people / white trash thing. So while Dog may have no harsh feelings towards normal black people, he may have some animosity towards the more thuggish/ghetto types.
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                                [...]I can't help but think that the gist of his conversation centered on his belief that there are black people.......and then there are ni**ers. Kind of like the whole white people / white trash thing. So while Dog may have no harsh feelings towards normal black people, he may have some animosity towards the more thuggish/ghetto types.
                                Hmmm...you bring up an interesting point, LL. Would the show have been suspended had Dog been ranting about a white girlfriend and using the term "white trash" or even "f***ing haole" instead of the n-bomb? Or would those 2 terms be acceptable coming from someone caucasian even if spewed in anger?
                                Last edited by tutusue; November 5, 2007, 02:17 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X