Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Costco or Sam's for Singles Who Live Alone

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
    [...]We don't buy Costco gas as they stopped accepting major credit cards except for American Express and they don't do cash sales. We've since cut up all our cards. Has it changed?[...]
    Really? No cash sales? Only AmEx? What about personal checks? I've never purchased gas at Costco 'cuz I'm not willing to wait in those lines PLUS I have this personal goal to try to get thru my lifetime without ever pumping my own gas!!! Silly, I know, but a goal nonetheless! So far, so good thanx to Lex Brodie's!

As a single tutu I love the frozen food section at Costco. I don't think that helps you, Scriv, as I think you love to cook.

Comment

We don't buy Costco gas as they stopped accepting major credit cards except for American Express and they don't do cash sales. We've since cut up all our cards. Has it changed?
      Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Really? No cash sales? Only AmEx? What about personal checks? I've never purchased gas at Costco 'cuz I'm not willing to wait in those lines PLUS I have this personal goal to try to get thru my lifetime without ever pumping my own gas!!! Silly, I know, but a goal nonetheless! So far, so good thanx to Lex Brodie's!

As a single tutu I love the frozen food section at Costco. I don't think that helps you, Scriv, as I think you love to cook.

my american savings visa debit card is accepted. i think all debit cards are accepted. they just don't take cash and of the credit cards, they only take amex.

you should also know that anytime you use your debit card at the gas station and they ask only that you punch in your zip code, they hold more than the actual value of the gas you buy for several days, as described in this story from a couple years ago where a couple bought $25 worth of gas but the station held $75 for three days, causing the couple's bank account to go in the red. however, if you're using a pump that requires your PIN, as costco gas does, the transaction is processed immediately in the exact amount you spent instead of a larger sum being held for several days.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

We don't buy Costco gas as they stopped accepting major credit cards except for American Express and they don't do cash sales. We've since cut up all our cards. Has it changed?

They still only accept AE but a member can now buy prepaid cash cards to use at the pump.

Comment

First the Costco cons:

Most of the meats can be found on sale at the Supermarket (such as Star, which is close to Scriv's house) at an equal or sometimes cheaper per-pound price. The only thing Costco can't be beat are some of the produce items like the romaine, which is a killer deal. But is a single person going go through FOUR heads of Romaine lettuce before they spoil? I doubt it.

Things like pasta and canned goods can also be found on sale sometimes CHEAPER than Costco. Especially with Walgreens now in town, grocery stores are having to be even more competitive. Same for frozen foods, as well as for toilet paper and paper towels. On sale at the local grocery store is often the same (+ or - just a tad), price-per-unit.

I find Sam's Club is more geared towards businesses, offering more bulk items (like for vending machines), and even less "singles" friendly. Still, both have the same pros and cons for the single person.

Sometimes it's frustrating shopping in there, as you're constantly calculating prices, and to much chagrin, sometimes Costco's price ends up higher than Walmart or Long's (when on sale)!

Another frustration is the temptation of impulse shopping, and Costco has this strategy down to a science. I swear, it never fails I walk out of there having spent $40 more than I expected to, walking out with something(s) I originally hadn't planned on buying. But damned this wrist watch is cool!

If you're a family of 4 or more, these places make shopping easy, but a single person can get frustrated.

Costco Pros:

The quality of their meats are better than most supermarkets, save for Safeway. Foodland's meats are pretty good, but not as good as Costco's. Not sure about Star. Don Quijote's meat department (at least the Kaheka location) is horrible. But here again, you're single, so buying a tray of four rib eye steaks isn't going to be on your shopping list, unless you're hosting a party. Even there, the rib eyes, price-per-pound is the same, if not sometimes HIGHER than the supermarket. But still, it's a better, thicker cut. They also have the cheapest lamb racks in town. WAY WAY cheaper than the supermarkets. Chicken and pork can be a toss-up. Fish prices are pretty good, and there, the portions are reasonable (single-friendly). All the other meats are in bulk.

The things I'll hand Costco with unbeatable prices is their cheeses and their refrigerated deli section (dips, sausages, specialty foods, etc.). Great deals on some great quality stuff. And most of it is in manageable portions (except the sausages, but you can freeze that). That right there might be worth the price of admission.

Also, they rely on "Special Buys" for the most part. So they'll bring in a really nice rocker chair, patio set, tool set, car accessory, toy or other cool household item and sell it at a really low price.

Also, their car battery and tires are one of the cheapest in town (I know, I just bought both recently and shopped around). But how often are you going to change your tire and car battery? Probably once every so many years.

To finish my rant, I will say, especially Costco (you can tell I prefer there more) is a very pleasant place to shop. Well-stocked with very cool stuff, often not found at the supermarkets. And their checkouts, while sometimes can get long, are very fast and efficient. So is their customer service (finding stuff) and great return policy.

Plus, where else can you gawk at Football Field-sized wide screen TVs and a gourmet deli section filled with exotic cheeses and sausages all under one roof at really good prices. THAT to me is worth the membership, whether I'm single (I am) or have a wife and 6 kids in tow.

For me it's kinda' like my cellphone: I don't really NEED it, but I wouldn't wanna' be without it, practicality not withstanding.

And for you Scriv', you live so close to there, so yeah, I say go for it. Unless you're REALLY pinching pennies. What is $45 worth? You probably spend more than that a year on snacks and other consumables non-noteworthy.

Obviously as a single person, you're not gonna' buy perishable stuff there in bulk. We don't. But the other stuff you can and will, and THAT makes it worth it, IMO.

Nowadays, at least on Oahu, if you're not a Costco member (single or whatever), you're not with the "in crowd".
          Last edited by Pomai; November 4, 2007, 10:51 AM.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Oh, one thing I left out of that long rant was the FREE FOOD SAMPLES!

I've walked in there for lunch hungry a few times, and walked out just about full off the samples alone.

For a single guy? Common! That's gotta' be worth it! No need cook!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
              my american savings visa debit card is accepted. i think all debit cards are accepted. they just don't take cash and of the credit cards, they only take amex.

you should also know that anytime you use your debit card at the gas station and they ask only that you punch in your zip code, they hold more than the actual value of the gas you buy for several days, as described in this story from a couple years ago where a couple bought $25 worth of gas but the station held $75 for three days, causing the couple's bank account to go in the red. however, if you're using a pump that requires your PIN, as costco gas does, the transaction is processed immediately in the exact amount you spent instead of a larger sum being held for several days.

This has never happened to me. I purchase my gas with my Visa debit card all the time. I sometimes use my AmEx card, and if you have it, you can use a Costco cash card for this, too.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Maybe off topic, maybe not: When we see soda or beer on sale at Longs, we stear clear. It's usually flat. So, I find it less humbug to buy something like that from a big box than from Long's.

Here's something Costco has over Sam's, hand's down. Make a return at Costco, and they take it back, maybe one questioned asked: What's wrong with it? I've seen partial bottles of wine and plastic containers of bitten apples taken back. It astonishes me one can bite into several apples, put them back in the blister pack, and march into Costco and get a refund. I brought it up following someone who actually did that and the customer service clerk told me, "we want our members happy." Shee-it!

Take something back to Sam's and the cranky ladies size you up like you're a potential felon. Even if you took it out to the parking lot to try it on, brought back the receipt and left on the tags! Take something downstairs to Wal-Mart and it's hard to believe it's the same company. No need for a receipt (get a gift card back for an item not used, price tags attached), and they can even look up your transaction up to 90 days back. How does Sam's Club completely miss the mark on customer service when its sister company Wal-Mart has it perfected?
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                  This has never happened to me. I purchase my gas with my Visa debit card all the time. I sometimes use my AmEx card, and if you have it, you can use a Costco cash card for this, too.
                  when you buy gas with your debit card, are you always putting in your PIN or are you putting in your zip code? the next time you have to put in your zip code, check your account afterwards. hopefully, the gas stations have stopped the whole hold thing. i just found a story that appeared in the advertiser where one guy bought $25 worth of gas but $200 was held (didn't happen in hawaii, though--haven't seen any hawaii anecdotes). if i go to a non-costco gas station, i always use my credit card, just to be safe. i'm not so well off that unexpected holds wouldn't bother me or potentially cause financial trauma.

thanks for adding the costco cash card tip--i had forgotten about that.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Interesting, yes, Ericncyn! I usually put in my pin. I always keep a loaded cash card around, we mostly use it at what we call FM, the foodmaker, for pizza, hotdoggies, frozen yogurts and, kid's favorite: churos, out front! But that's a worthy gas option if you keep that much money in your balance. Amazing how much gas costs these days. A whole nuther subject!
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

for the record, eric and i went to fill up the truck a lil after 7 PM tonight and at each pair of pumps, there were only one or two cars beyond the ones that were already gassing up.

if we had made it to costco when it was open, we would have checked out their mattress pads. we heard the memory foam one (non-tempurpedic brand) was pretty good.

Comment

http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/sam-s...183042126.html

Battle of the Brands.

Comment

Still have both memberships, but I tend to do the food shopping from Sam's Club and I usually buy what I can physically carry since I have to walk home with what I purchased. Stuff that I buy on a going basis are cold cuts, cheese, grapes, carrots, granola bars, milk, soap and AA batteries. Also been buying various canned foods and Quaker Instant Oatmeal (the initial box I picked up in November is still going).

For Costco I tend to buy granola bars and batteries that I stash at my work place. Also found out that a certain type of replacement heads for my electric toothbrush are available from Costco but not Sam's Club.

Comment

What I have find strange is that Sam's Club will accept MasterCard credit card for payment, while Costco recently (like a year ago) switched to accepting Visa for the credit card payments.

I also notice that the selection of gift cards from other retailers is different between Sam's Club and Costco.

Comment

About 3 years ago I moved to the McCully area and maybe once a month or so I do a Sam's Club run taking the taxi back home. I will try to limit my take to one of those cardboard box bottoms that holds the fresh fruit or some other bulky item. So far this routine does work out for me.

For Costco I didn't renew or visit in 2020. Managed to renew my membership in early summer of 2021 and I decided to have some dinner at the food court. Come to find out that they no longer offer the combo pizza anymore, just the cheese or the pepperoni.

Comment

Working...
                              X