This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Kernaghan

If any of you like country music, the best of the best is Lee Kernaghan. If you ever get to Australia, Lee is the King of Country but he's not well known here in the US. He's country music's best kept secret. He's awesome.

I run a fan site for him at http://groups.msn.com/LeeKernaghanFans and the membership is continuing to grow. The site has been up and running for several years.

Lee's music is available from several on-line sources but I generally find my music on eBay.au.

You can check out his website at www.leekernaghan.com.

I find that country music and traditional Hawaiian have a lot of similarities. After country music started to suck really bad, I found Hawaiian music. Stuck with it for 20 years ... and then found Lee's music four years ago and have never looked back. Now I mostly listen to his music because it's as nahenahe as it gets and releases the stresses of the day listening to his gorgeous, rich voice.

Lee Kernaghan

My review of Lee Kernaghan's "Spirit of the Bush" from the Planet Country Italy site (www.planetcountry.com). I love this guy. He's the best I've ever heard in country music. It doesn't matter if you like country music or not, Lee is phenomenal. You can get the CD on eBay.

Lee Kernaghan - Spirit of the Bush (cd/DVD)
    Valutazione utente: / 5 stars
    Scritto da Marguerite Van Ness
    Lee Kernaghan has done it again on his 9th album with another brilliant collection of 17 amazing songs. He is destined to win another uteload of Golden Guitars for this stellar album. Some of his older songs culled from other albums that reflect the spirit of the bush that he is so passionate about are also included. Lee’s voice is so pure and clean from using analog sound instead of digital technology to get that warmer quality he likes, and he even used older equipment to achieve the desired sound. His voice is soft and as smooth as silk and there isn’t that raspy quality heard on “The New Bush”. The only drawback is the lyrics are not included in the insert. Several of the songs were included on “Electric Rodeo 2” and the lyrics were not included on that CD either. There are also not enough photos of Lee in the insert.All the proceeds and artist royalties from the title song are being donated to Aussie Helpers, an organization that provides assistance to those people in the bush in need from the adverse drought conditions that have been devastating to their farms and depleted their income.There are seven new tracks on this CD, the title song, written by Lee, Colin Buchanan and Garth Porter and other songs that have special meaning to Lee that he did not write but are by writers who have inspired Lee. It’s a very different collection of material but when you have someone as gifted as Lee is vocally, every song is a winner. The CD also contains a Bonus DVD of five of Lee’s music videos: “The New Bush”, “Listen to the Radio”, “Love Shack”, “The Outback Club” and “Spirit of the Bush”.The new tracks include a catchy Cajun-flavored song, “Sassafras Gap” about good times down at the old swimming hole and other summer fun. It was originally recorded by Saltbush in 1977. John Shumann’s riveting Vietnam-era song “I Was Only Nineteen (A Walk in the Light Green) is not the usual Lee Kernaghan song about good times and the things that are positive. The arrangement is brilliant and quite emotional. Maybe a tad overproduced but nevertheless typical LK only proving his passion and versatility. The arrangement is brilliant and very creative.Stan Coster is one of Lee’s favorite songwriters and he has done a great job on “Three Rivers Hotel”, which was a Slim Dusty classic in 1977. “Spirit of the Bush” is what this whole album is all about. Lifting the spirits of the farmers. The title song was written after a free concert of the same name. Lee has been doing these free concerts across Australia to support the farmers. He is joined by Adam Brand and Steve Forde and a cast of up-and-coming artists in the chorus including sister Tania, the McClymonts, Aleyce Simmonds, the Sunny Cowgirls, Dianna Corcoran, Kirsty Lee Akers, Nick Kingswell, Jake Nickolai, the Davidson Bros. and Travis Collins.“Shelter” is one of the softer and gentler songs Lee has recorded that is a lovely anthem about the land that he loves. The arrangement is what you’d expect to hear from Sara Storer with the same mandolin work. This song shows the sensitive and sensual side of Lee. His voice is as beautiful as it’s ever been.And another diversion is the Peter Allen standard, “Tenterfield Saddler”. It’s not exactly a country song but Lee’s arrangement is beautiful. Lee’s sister Tania recorded the same song on the CD “Crossing the Tracks” a few years ago. It only shows how very versatile Lee is in handling any kind of song with perfection.The final new song is “Spirit of the Bush Reprise – My County”. Another poem with the same softness of “Shelter”. There is also an instrumental section.Lee has brought back some songs that echo the theme of the CD that he’d previously recorded: Diamantina Drover (from Electric Rodeo 2), Bare Essentials (from Hat Town), The Way It Is (from Electric Rodeo), Spirit of the High Country (from Electric Rodeo 2), Southern Son (from 1959), When Country Comes (from The New Bush), A Bushman Can’t Survive (from Rules of the Road), Mate (from Electric Rodeo 2), Cunnamulla Feller (from Rules of the Road) and Hat Town (from Hat Town). All great Lee Kernaghan songs that are nice to have in this collection.This CD also contains a bonus DVD of five of Lee’s music videos: The New Bush, Listen to the Radio, Love Shack (from The New Bush CD), The Outback Club performed live from Gympie Muster) and the title song, Spirit of the Bush.

Comment

CD Review - The New Bush - Lee Kernaghan (Australia)

Lee Kernaghan - The New Bush
      Valutazione utente: / 5 stars
      Scritto da Marguerite Van Ness
      He’s a joy to listen to. LK’s presence is one of the most positive and uplifting ones in country music today. This is a CD easy to become addicted to. The more you listen, the more you love each cut and the more you appreciate Lee’s enormous talent. In 14 years, since “Boys from the Bush” was released, Lee has become an Australian country music icon and legend. Well deserved for the dedication, energy and quality he puts into each and every song, and the way he is dedicated to each and every fan. And true to form, every song is a winner. Lee has revolutionized Australian country music and raised the standard to a very high level. “The New Bush” theme examines a ‘quiet revolution’ of changes in the Australian bush. New technology and a rekindled spirit of those who live in this land of drought, hardship and isolation. Lee is a meticulous songwriter and master of his craft. In this CD, you hear a kindness and gentleness in his voice and beautiful lyrics in his ballads but a cheeky sense of humor in songs like “Love Shack”, a rocker about putting a mattress in the back of the truck and heading off without a care or a destination. Lee’s writing has matured and shifted gears since “Electric Rodeo”. While many of the songs have a more slickly produced Nashville element, the music is identifiably Kernaghan. After listening to this CD non-stop for days on end, you become addicted to Lee’s magic and he puts you on a natural high, to which his huge and extremely loyal fan base around the world can attest. Lee is a masterful lyricist, if not the best in all of country music today. “Where I Come From”, the first cut, is a rousing, high-energy song that looks past the gravel driveway and dirt road that leads into town and the feeling of coming home again to the family name that hangs on the gate of the family homestead. “Listen to the Radio” is an easy ballad that reminisces about a lost love and a breakup and listening to those old familiar songs on the radio while driving down the highway. It was inspired by Lee breaking up with an old girlfriend. The title song, “The New Bush”, is a rocker about the subtle changes occurring in the bush but also describes strong family ties. Daryl Braithwaite from the pop group Sherbert (same group with whom Lee’s producer Garth Porter played) does the harmonies. The toe-tapping melody will put a smile on your face. A third duet with Trisha Yearwood, “Diamantina Dream”, is a luscious and sensual ballad that aims to please. The Diamantina is a desert river that winds its way through Queensland. “Western World” is another great song with a lot of energy that compares the wide expanses of the western landscape with that of a woman … the rain, the wildflowers and the endless plains where lovers meet in each other’s western world beneath a starry summer sky. This song is becoming another favorite. “I’ll Remember You” is another beautiful love ballad inspired by the Elizabeth Barrett Browning sonnet “How do I Love Thee”. It’s somewhat autobiographical in nature and traces a long-time relationship. “Like Angels” has the same basic theme as “Electric Rodeo” that’s about the ups and downs in life … sometimes you win and sometimes you lose in chasing your dreams. Because Lee is a huge football fan, I think you can hear that in this song. “Little Men” is a sweet song about Lee’s two little boys, Rock and Jet (ages 3 and 5). They’re daddy’s little boys sharing in the workload wanting to be like their dad and working up a sweat doing the chores. The harmonies in this song are provided by Lee’s wife, Robby. This is a personal song for Lee. Any parent with small children will enjoy this sentimental ballad. You can hear the tenderness in his voice wanting to preserve the moment before the boys grow up. While there are some beautiful ballads, Lee also like to rock. “On the Beach” is a kick back and relax song with a reggae beat. Watching the girls on the beach and having a rum as the sun goes down. This song is a diversion from anything Lee has previously recorded. It only exemplifies his versatility.“Country Comes to Town” is about that legendary country crowd and hanging out on a weekend going into the city for a good time. “Living in Australia” is Lee’s celebration of the land he loves, the simple values and mateships. The highlight of this CD is “Close as a Whisper”, the last track. It’s more of an anthem than a song. It’s well worth the wait of listening to a variety of great songs to get to this very special last one. It’s a simple and repetitive folk tune with extremely powerful words that describe the ‘whisper’. The song starts softly and builds to a crescendo throughout the thought-provoking verses to the culmination of the Australian anthem of “Who’ll Come a Waltzing Matilda with Me”, which is the ‘gift’. This is one of the best songs Lee has ever written. It will put a tear in your eye. You can hear him well up with Aussie pride and that’s what this CD is all about. As usual, the mix between up tempo songs and ballads is perfect. And as Lee has stated, he wants to keep his Australian identity and culture in his songs and you can hear a lot more of his Aussie accent in this group of songs. It’s an amazingly wonderful CD that I highly recommend to every country fan. If you’re not familiar with Lee Kernaghan, this is a perfect CD for an introduction to one of the most exciting country entertainers today. If Lee were to release this CD in the United States, he’d not only win a lot of fans, but have a matching set of CMA awards to match all the Golden Guitars he’s won over the years … and he will undoubtedly win many more awards for this CD. It’s a brilliant and beautiful CD. Those of us who have been lucky enough to have found LK’s music cherish every song.

Comment

Country Artist Lee Kernaghan Named Australian of the Year

Lee Kernaghan is the 2008 Australian of the Year
        Author: N/A
        Source: Australia.TO
        Date: February 1, 2008

Country music legend and a champion of rural Australia, Lee Kernaghan OAM, has been named Australian of the Year 2008 at a ceremony in front of Parliament House in Canberra.

Micro-finance entrepreneur David Bussau AM (NSW) was announced as Senior Australian of the Year 2008; 22 year old World MotoGP champion Casey Stoner (NSW) was announced as Young Australian of the Year 2008 and Jonathon Welch (VIC) of 'Choir Of Hard Knocks' fame was announced as Australia's Local Hero 2008.

The recipients were presented with their awards by the Prime Minister, The Hon Kevin Rudd MP, who acknowledged the achievements and contributions of all the award finalists.

"This year's award recipients are great examples of passion and commitment," said the Prime Minister.

"They are all proud Australians who have earned our respect and our admiration."

Mr Rudd paid tribute to Australian of the Year Lee Kernaghan for his dedication to helping others.

"Lee Kernaghan's music resonates with every Australian by connecting us all to the spirit of the bush, but more importantly he gives hope and pride to those on the land when they need inspiration most," said the Prime Minister.

"He has rolled up his sleeves to make a real difference for those in need in rural Australia.

"Lee is truly an Australian to make us all proud, you would have to travel a long way to find a better, more genuine bloke then Lee."

Forty-three year old Lee was recognised for his support of country communities across Australia and described the award as the proudest moment of his life.

"In all my dreams, I could never have imagined that I'd receive an award like this - it's been a huge surprise and, without doubt, it's the greatest honour I have ever been given in my entire life," said Lee.

"I don't think it's really totally sunk in yet, but it's a humbling experience because I know there is at least a list a mile long of more worthy recipients for the award than myself.

"But now that I have been given the honour, I also feel I have a responsibility to do my very best by my fellow Australians and that's what I am going to be doing."

A legend in Australian country music, the Queenslander's tally of Golden Guitar awards at the Australian Country Music Awards is 24, second only to the legendary Slim Dusty. While his music represents the very essence of the spirit and values of contemporary rural Australia, it is his personal commitment to supporting the people of the land which has made a real difference. In the past ten years, his 'Pass the Hat Around' tours have raised more than a million dollars for communities in need and his participation in the 'Spirit of the Bush' tours has brightened the lives of farming families doing it tough in the drought.

Lee said he aimed to use his time as Australian of the Year 2008 to bring focus to the plight of families on the land who are struggling against the drought and to also encourage people to support home-grown industries.

"Australia is just coming through the worst drought on record and there are families out there still experiencing extreme hardship," said Lee.

"What I'd like to do is look at ways that, individually and as a nation, we can assist those people - that we can support them and help them get back on their feet again.

"One way we can do that is to buy Australian made and Australian grown - we're securing Australian jobs and we're keeping Australia strong ."

http://www.australia.to/story/0,25197,23040466-662,00,00.html

Comment

He's Not Hawaiian but he sure is Sexy!!

He's not Hawaiian but Australian country and he's so drop-dead gorgeous I thought I'd post a few photos of my favorite Aussie hunk, Lee Kernaghan for the girls to drool over.

Lee was just named Australian of the Year and has won 27 Golden Guitar Awards and almost 30 Number 1 songs. If you haven't heard Lee's music and like country music, he's phenomenal.

Comment

Some articles on my favorite country artist - LEE KERNAGHAN

Here are a few articles and videos on my favorite country artist, Lee Kernaghan. If you like country music, Lee is unsurpassed by anyone. You can find his music on eBay.au. What a voice!!! Hope he gets a few more fans on this forum from checking out the videos and reading the articles. Lee stole my heart away the first time I listened to his music.

He's definitely a cutie, as you can see ...

Here's a video put together by a fan in Germany:

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x19/Pattypeppermint_album/?action=view&current=LeeFilm1.flv

And Lee's latest video, "Spirit of the Bush", that won him three Country Music of Australia awards back in January.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P95U9rOVLRw

And a video on the making of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXF14kuj7a0

And his video "Love Shack", that also went to #1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yz5nllC6Mg

One of Lee's TV interviews from Channel 10 after winning Australian of the Year. Love his accent and that big smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmMq4wTQjbo

Here's an older commercial Lee did for McDonalds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_kTFGay69k

ARTICLES ....

Singers Named for Torch Celebrations
            Source: Canberra Times
            06 April 2008

The 2008 Australian of the Year, Lee Kernaghan, and his wife Robyn will sing the Australian national anthem as part of the opening celebrations for the start of the Canberra leg of the Beijing Olympic torch relay on April 24.

Kernaghan was presented with the Australian of the Year Award from Prime Minister Kevin Rudd on January 25 this year.

He was recognised both for his success as a much-loved country musician and for his support of drought-affected farmers and communities.

As the Australian of the Year, Kernaghan will be one of the runners to carry the torch, as will former Australians of the Year Professor Fiona Wood and Professor Fiona Stanley, both from Western Australia, and last year's Young Australian of the Year, Tania Major.

Another runner will be the founder of the Choir of Hard Knocks, Jonathon Welch, the 2008 Local Hero in the Australian of the Year Awards.

Welch will perform the Australian national anthem at what is expected to be a spectacular closing event in Commonwealth Park mid-afternoon.

While his famous choir won't be in town for the big event, Welch will be accompanied on piano by the leader of Canberra's 500-strong community choir, Ken Teoh.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/news/l ... 17409.html

----------------------------------

Comment

Re: Some articles on my favorite country artist - LEE KERNAGHAN

Voice of the Bush
              Authors: NUI TE KOHA and JAMES WIGNEY
              Source: Sunday Herald Sun (Melbourne); Edition: 8 - IE, Section: IE, pg. 003
              Date: March 30, 2008

COUNTRY singer Lee Kernaghan's memory is getting almost as full as his bar. The Victorian-born musician, also the reigning Australian of the Year, has a special bar in his Gold Coast home to store his treasured Golden Guitar awards and it's starting to groan under their weight.

He added three more this year, taking his tally to 27, which is second only to Slim Dusty's 36, and with each award comes a special memory.

From the first Golden Guitar he won in 1993 for his breakthrough hit Boys From the Bush just after playing a show in Wollongong to "about 11 people", through the ones honouring successful albums Hat Town, Electric Rodeo and The New Bush, each records a chapter in his life and his long and successful career.

Most firmly in his mind is a vivid memory inextricably linked with his hit Spirit of the Bush, a collaboration with Adam Brand and Steve Forde, which in January nabbed single of the year, vocal collaboration of the year and video clip of the year at Australia's premier country music awards in Tamworth.

"Whenever I think about Sprit of the Bush, I think about a farmer from Horsham I met backstage after the Spirit of the Bush concert," he says.

"He told me his story of how he had battled on for years through the drought and how they had lost the farm and lost the family home and he was there with his wife and his two little kids.

"And the big fella looked me in the eye and gave me the strongest handshake you could get and said, 'I can't give up because my wife and my kids are depending on me'. I thought, 'This bloke IS the spirit of the bush'. So I think about him and everyone else who has gone through such heartbreaking times over the past seven years."

Kernaghan says he had a special feeling about the song even when he was writing it with Garth Porter (of Sherbet fame) and Colin Buchanan, likening it to writing a hymn.

Proceeds from the song help farming families hit by the drought and its title inspired a series of concerts last year to raise awareness of their plight and to lift the spirits in rural and regional Australia.

Kernaghan has been a fixture on the Australian country music scene for more than 15 years.

Despite the odd stint in Nashville, he has rejected the path followed by compatriot and contemporary Keith Urban, preferring to concentrate on the country he knows and loves. His success and longevity has made him a magnet and a font of knowledge for up-and-coming country artists, such as all-girl Grafton trio The McClymonts who toured with him last year.

Music has had to take a back seat since Kernaghan was named Australian of the Year in January, which he describes as the greatest honour of his life. He also wants to use his time in the spotlight to promote the causes dear to his heart.

"I am dedicating this year to just promote the buy Australian made and grown campaign," he says. "It's a tangible way that as individuals and as a community and a nation we can truly help farming families get back on their feet again after the drought and the floods."

Kernaghan, a father of two, hopes to find some time towards the end of the year to get back into the studio and turn his extraordinary experiences of late into some more of the autobiographical songs for which he has become famous.

"In one way it has probably helped as well," he says of his hectic schedule. "I have always found that just travelling around the country talking to people is where most of the inspiration for new material comes from anyway."

Kernaghan has also been selected as one of 80 people to carry the Olympic Torch through Canberra next month on its way to Beijing. But he is not expecting to rediscover any hidden athletic talents.

"As a kid it was my dream to play footy for Carlton," he says, laughing. "The musical life soon took over the footy dream, but I have put in a few hours on the treadmill in preparation for this."

Lee Kernaghan plays at the Stampede Festival at Eastern Park in Geelong on Saturday. Bookings: 1300 136 166.

Copyright 2008 / Sunday Herald Sun
              ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

From 2006 ...

The New Bush Man
                Author: Susan Javis
                Source: Country Music Capital News
                Date: Vol. 31, No. 6 - May, 2006

Ask Lee Kernaghan about the inspiration behind his brand new album, The New Bush, and his eyes light up.

The album title came from something I heard at a party in Sydney a couple of years back. Hamish Turner, the managing director of RM Williams, was talking about how the company's business had changed, and he mentioned that these days it was all focused on 'the new bush'," Lee said.

"It hit me like a ton of bricks”everything has changed in the bush and a whole new era has arrived. Thanks to technology, the bush is no longer isolated, there are a whole lot of new technologies”like e-sheep, high cell grazing and low-stress mustering”that are being used, and the new generation is going away, acquiring great skills and coming back to put them into practice.

"Basically, they're working smarter by taking the best of the old and merging it with the new, to create a world-class product."

And Lee admits that he's done the same thing with The New Bush.

"It's been four years since my last album, Electric Rodeo, and I reckon that's way too long. But at the same time, it's given me a chance to renew my energy, refocus on what's important in my music, and look at the big picture," he said.

Lee has had his finger on the pulse of the bush for well over a decade, turning out music that connected with both rural and urban country fans, and that changed the face of Australian country music forever by celebrating what it was to be a contemporary Australian 'boy from the bush'.

His various albums have explored many aspects of that, and The New Bush is no exception, with songs about loneliness and loss, love and family, and of course the ubiquitous ute.

The most striking thing about the album is that it captures all the energy and enthusiasm that marked Lee's first path-breaking album, The Outback Club, back in 1992.

"In a way, making this album was similar to making that one. We didn't labour excessively over it”which I think we did with Electric Rodeo”so it was a lot of fun to record. And I think that really shows," Lee said.

"I also wrote the songs differently”I started with the sounds and grooves I wanted, to establish the real feel of the album, then merged the song ideas with those. It means there's a real energy in the songs that comes through on the album."

Lee put an enormous effort into promoting Electric Rodeo, with extensive touring and a huge production show. He admits that it took a lot out of him, as did his venture into the hotel industry ”the Great Northern Hotel at Rockhampton, which he's turned into one of Australia's leading entertainment venues over the past few years.

At last year's 2005 Australian Hotel Association National Awards for Excellence, the hotel picked up the award for Best Entertainment Venue in Australia. Lee's justifiably proud of his achievements with the Great Northern, but says it's time for him to move on, and focus on creating and performing music again”because that, after all, is his passion.

Not surprisingly, after such a long break, Lee is very excited about The New Bush. He recently launched the album at this year's Urban Country Music Festival in Caboolture, north of Brisbane, and has an extensive Outback to the Beaches tour planned, the first leg of which kicks off in Orange on June 7.

For the next six months, it will take him to virtually every major rural centre and capital city in Australia, with new dates being added every day.

Lee will also perform at the Gympie Muster in August, where The New Bush is sure to be a huge hit with the people it's about”the new generation of Australia's boys (and girls) from the bush.

Lee jokes that the Outback to the Beaches tour was a bid to have his audiences wearing bikinis ”but the reality is that it encompasses Lee's total audience these days, which stretches from Bourke to Bondi.

"Country music's no longer just music for the bush”it's music that captures the real spirit of Australia, and what it means to be Australian and live the Aussie way of life," Lee said.

"I reckon the album has all that diversity and breadth, and I wanted the tour to offer the same thing."

Comment

Previous article continued ...

In honour of the tour”which was conceived well before the album had been completed”Lee's recorded a song called On The Beach, a calypso, saltwater country gem that captures the whole summertime vibe superbly. It s the closest to JIMMY BUFFETT he s ever likely to get.

He's also included his very first "suburban country" song on this album”the anthemic Livin' in Australia, a celebration of our laid-back, brick-veneer lifestyle that will resonate with Aussies from all walks of life.

But the album's first single, the title track The New Bush, is pure classic Lee Kernaghan”with a contemporary twist.

An incredibly catchy, appealing song with more than a few echoes of Boys From The Bush and The Outback Club, and some superb musicianship and arrangements, this song is a sure-fire number one hit for Lee.

The spirit of the song's summed up in the chorus:

The new bush is here, a turn of the page There's talk around town of better days You can see it in their eyes, as real as the sun A quiet revolution's begun, in the new bush.

"You can't help stand in awe at what our pioneers achieved, but now the new bush is being opened up in a whole new way," Lee said.

"It's the same resourceful resolve”but this time they're working with new tools, new techniques, new technology. And you get the feeling flint there that it's like the turn of the page”a new era. It's a really exciting time, and I love being able to write and sing about it."

Legendary Australian singer DARYL BRAITHWAITE joins Lee for a special guest vocal appearance on The New Bush.

"Daryl was keen to do a duet, and he came in on the last day of recording and just nailed it," Lee said.

Lee stresses that the roots of the bush still run deep, a theme addressed on the album's opening track, Where I Come From.

"As you get older, you learn that where you were born and grew up always stays a part of you," Lee said.

"This song was inspired by my own childhood, but also by that idea that where you come from is as much a part of you as where you are."

And the place country music fans are when Lee Kernaghan hits town is at his show. That wonderful vibe”captured years ago on Country Crowd”is revisited here on Country Comes To Town, a song about the anticipation and preparation involved in getting to a big country music concert. As Lee says, ''With a build-up like that, just one spark and you're in for some serious fireworks when country comes to town!"

Lee's diehard fans wouldn't let him release an album without a ute song, and this one is a corker. Titled Love Shack, it doesn't really need much explanation, but it's a funky, powerpacked song that's perfect for driving in top gear into the freedom of a weekend with someone you love.

But don't worry, Lee's aware there's more to love than a "love shack" and he's included several of his most inspirational and most beautifully crafted love songs on this album.

Diamantina Dream was recorded as a duet with TRISHA YEARWOOD - though the pair were on opposite sides of the Pacific at the time.

"I really wanted to do another song with Trisha, but when I phoned I discovered she was on her honeymoon after marrying GARTH BROOKS. She came into the studio the day she got back, and as always the result is just exquisite," Lee said.

Diamantina Dream is a beautiful, languid song that has echoes of Goondiwindi Moon, and is made even more special by Trisha's superb vocals.

Another song which merges Lee's love of Australia with the powerful emotions of romantic love is Western World. It's one of the simplest tracks on the album, yet one of the most appealing”it really encapsulates what good country music is all about.

But Lee's personal favourite is I'll Remember You, is a song inspired by the well known Elizabeth Barrett Browning poem How Do I Love Thee?

"It's a song about the power of love” something you tend to take for granted when you have it. Elizabeth died quite young in her husband's arms, and this song is a celebration of a love that spans decades, and that transcends ordinary life," Lee said.

He's also particularly fond of a song he wrote for his two boys, Jet and Rock. Titled Little Men, it's one of the finest songs Lee has ever written, and will grab at the heart-strings of every parent who hears it. A guest vocal appearance from Lee's talented wife Robby makes the song even more memorable.

Other great songs on The New Bush include Listen To The Radio, about the power of a song to bring back a rush of memories, and Like Angels, a song about the highs and lows of striving for success.

"Life's full of ups and downs, especially when you're chasing a dream. I've had to contend with all kinds of pressures since I started in this industry”both from inside and outside," Lee said.

"But that's all part of the journey”and as long as you can keep on believing, and understand how much you learn from the bad times, you're always ahead."

The New Bush concludes with a song about a song”the story of Waltzing Matilda.

Close as a Whisper (The Gift) is about the birth and journey of this remarkable song, a tale that's told gently and perceptively in a gentle and wonderful song that touches on our national history and what the song has meant to Australia over its lifetime.

"I wrote it with GARTH [PORTER] and Bucho [COLIN BUCHANAN], and I can tell you it gave us major goosebumps! It just seemed to come out by itself," Lee said.

Lee's just finished shooting a video for The New Bush, and is eagerly awaiting the start of his Outback to the Beaches tour.

"I've had plenty of time off now, and I'm really fired up to get out there and sing these songs. In a way, The New Bush is also marking the start of a new era for me, the turn of a page, and I can't wait!" he said.

--------------------------------

Comment

Lee Kernaghan named Australian of the Year
                    Source: Country Music Capital News
                    Date: Vol. 33, No. 2 - February, 2008

The boy from the bush, country music superstar LEE KERNAGHAN, is the 2008 Australian of the Year.

The singer was recognised for his work raising money tor drought affected families. The Victorian born, Queensland-based artist is the first musician to be Australian of the Year since YOTHU YINDI frontman MANDAWUY YUNIPINGU won the award in 1992.

Lee has won 27 Golden Guitar awards, second only to the late SLIM DUSTY, and his Pass Around the Hat country music tours have raised more than $ l million in the past 10 years.

The 43-year-old said he was surprised by the award but he would use his time to continue to campaign for the bush.

"In all my dreams, I could never have imagined that I'd receive an award like this," he said. "It's been a huge surprise and, without doubt, it's the greatest honour I have ever been given in my entire life."

He paid tribute to ordinary Australians who gave up their time to work in their communities and called on the nation to keep the "great Australian spirit glowing".

"I've been inspired by our farming families battling the biggest drought in 100 years. This year we can all tap into that great Australian spirit and keep it glowing.

Presenting Lee with the award, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said the singer's music inspired and gave hope to battling rural communizes.

"Lee Kernaghan's music resonates faith every Australian by connecting us all to the spirit of the bush, but more importan~lv he gives hope and pride to those on the land when they ~ need inspiration most. Or Rudd said.

Lee says the award - which he intends to put on the bar at home - would serve as a reminder to him to keep going pith his charity work and raising the profile of buying Australian.

"Every time I look at it, it will just be a reminder that I've got to get to it and give back to this great country that's given me so much," he said.

Comment

Re: Lee Kernaghan

I think we've had enough Lee Kernaghan for a lifetime.

Comment

Working...
                      X