"desperate housewives" slur against filipinos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "desperate housewives" slur against filipinos

Sadly, it's the truth for a lot of immigrant professionals. You should see how many NYC cabbies have MD's, JD's, and PE's.

It's the people who don't understand the "joke" on the show that should be ashamed.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

In undergrad, people would talk about Panama and Grenada (I think) as places to go to med school if you didn't get in in the USA.

It is a common conclusion that they are easier to get into.

Would there be equal outcry if they had substituted Grenada or Panama?

Fact is there are differences between the training of health care professionals in the US versus the Philippines and I don’t recall Manila being the center of medical research or achievement. That’s not a racist remark. Its just a fact.

The Philippines does have some of the world’s nicest people, the best looking women and definitely the best prisoner dancers. Now is that all racist?

Comment

some stuff from the net about healthcare workers in the US originally from the PI:

USAToday story on PI doctor & his choices to become a nurse in US

piece from workpermit.com illustrating why it's attractive for PI MD to decredential & be a US nurse

standards for foreign MDs wanting to work as US MDs...direct quote from American Medical Association president included.

I'll paste an except from that last link here:

The American Medical Association, through its president, Dr. Ronald M. Davis, sent a strongly-worded protest letter to Stephen McPherson, president, ABC Entertainment Network in Burbank, California, calling the slur "insensitive and appalling," and demanding for "an apology to our physician membership and to the Filipino physician community."

Dr. Davis stated that "over 25% of the US physician population are international medical graduates who had to pass numerous tests and clinical assessments before entering graduate medical residency training in the United States," and that "to suggest that a particular segment of the physician population is somehow less qualified than other physicians because of where he/she went to medical school is offensive, unfair and discriminatory."

The anesthesiologist of former president Ronald Reagan, when he had colorectal surgery, and when he had prostate surgery, was a Filipino. Former president Bill Clinton also had a Filipina physician when he had his knee surgery.

All one has to do to gauge the competence and performance of the Filipino physicians in the United States is to ask Nancy Reagan, Hilary Clinton, all those millions of patients of the Filipino physicians, and their American colleagues, who refer them patients. The inspiring testimonial and expression of support from the two distinguished and giant organizations of physicians in the United States, the American Medical Association and the American College of Surgeons, are a strong testament to the American institution’s high regard and respect for the Filipino physicians who are graduates "of some med school in the Philippines."
        seriously, anyone who wants to make blanket statements about the inferiority of physician training in the PI versus in the US, or about the inferiority of filipino physicians who learned their trade in the US and now practice as MDs in the US can lick my dirty ass for what such statements are worth. you simply cannot work as an MD in the US without passing certain standards, whether you were trained at a US med school or elsewhere.

i work daily, not only with MDs originally from the PI, but from MDs from china, india, and other nations. i'm privy to info about any MDs who have "gone bad" by acting disrespectfully or by practicing below standard. four years of doing what i do for my organization has shown me that foreign-trained MDs who pass credentialling in the US are just as good as the MDs who went to US schools.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
          The Philippines does have some of the world’s nicest people, the best looking women and definitely the best prisoner dancers. Now is that all racist?
          "Prisoner dancers"???
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
            "Prisoner dancers"???
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnk7lh9M3o

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
              seriously, anyone ...... can lick my dirty ass for what such statements are worth.
              Really? Link? How about we at least exchange photos first, then coffee? Are you height weight proportional? Or may get right down to business?
              Last edited by kamuelakea; November 6, 2007, 04:41 PM.

Comment

my dirty ass
                ericcyn,

I read your links. They leave out the big WHY. THat is WHY these Filipino M.D.s can't come to the U.S. and become an M.D. You said you work with many foreign born M.D.s and they are good? So how could those Chinese, Indians etc. come to the U.S. and become M.Ds while the Filipinos have to become nurses? I don't know the answer, I'm just asking.

The arguement in your links was that they make way more as a U.S. nurse than they do as a Philippine Doctor. Okay, so wouldn't they make even more as a U.S. Doctor? Don't Doctors get paid more than Nurses in general?

The line in the show was not an attack on "FILIPINOS". It was a line that alluded to an education recieved in the Philippines (one could substitute Grenada or Panama). It’s the same kind of attitude like "oh, you went public school" from the Iolani or Punahou crowd.

Comment

ericcyn,

I read your links. They leave out the big WHY. THat is WHY these Filipino M.D.s can't come to the U.S. and become an M.D. You said you work with many foreign born M.D.s and they are good? So how could those Chinese, Indians etc. come to the U.S. and become M.Ds while the Filipinos have to become nurses? I don't know the answer, I'm just asking.

The arguement in your links was that they make way more as a U.S. nurse than they do as a Philippine Doctor. Okay, so wouldn't they make even more as a U.S. Doctor? Don't Doctors get paid more than Nurses in general?

The line in the show was not an attack on "FILIPINOS". It was a line that alluded to an education recieved in the Philippines (one could substitute Grenada or Panama). It’s the same kind of attitude like "oh, you went public school" from the Iolani or Punahou crowd.
                  hey go google Dr. Jorge Camara, Dr. Elenita Alvarez, etc who are filipino and are rated #1 in their profession. i know there's more but what the heck go google yourself.

Comment

some stuff from the net about healthcare workers in the US originally from the PI:

USAToday story on PI doctor & his choices to become a nurse in US

piece from workpermit.com illustrating why it's attractive for PI MD to decredential & be a US nurse

standards for foreign MDs wanting to work as US MDs...direct quote from American Medical Association president included.

I'll paste an except from that last link here:

seriously, anyone who wants to make blanket statements about the inferiority of physician training in the PI versus in the US, or about the inferiority of filipino physicians who learned their trade in the US and now practice as MDs in the US can lick my dirty ass for what such statements are worth. you simply cannot work as an MD in the US without passing certain standards, whether you were trained at a US med school or elsewhere.

i work daily, not only with MDs originally from the PI, but from MDs from china, india, and other nations. i'm privy to info about any MDs who have "gone bad" by acting disrespectfully or by practicing below standard. four years of doing what i do for my organization has shown me that foreign-trained MDs who pass credentialling in the US are just as good as the MDs who went to US schools.
                    co-sign. American policies for licensure professions, education, and the academy are rooted in discriminatory immigration practices. I work with (not for) public schools, and too often do I see Filipino/a students being retained for 1 or 2 years to "adjust" to US public ed. Nearly all of the time, these students are smarter than their peers because of the Phlippines' accelerated public ed system (high school is completed at age 16). It's a dangerous pairing of prejudice and human nature to equate a foreign accent with inferior ability.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
                      hey go google Dr. Jorge Camara, Dr. Elenita Alvarez, etc who are filipino and are rated #1 in their profession. i know there's more but what the heck go google yourself.
                      Eh,. gooogle dis right heeah. ANd google to you too.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
                        You aren't reading my posts carefully. I totally agree with you and know that there are wonderful health care providers who are Filipino. No argument from me there. In fact, I have made the RACIST argument that Filipinos, as a group, are better health care providers than many other groups IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                          co-sign. American policies for licensure professions, education, and the academy are rooted in discriminatory immigration practices. I work with (not for) public schools, and too often do I see Filipino/a students being retained for 1 or 2 years to "adjust" to US public ed. Nearly all of the time, these students are smarter than their peers because of the Phlippines' accelerated public ed system (high school is completed at age 16). It's a dangerous pairing of prejudice and human nature to equate a foreign accent with inferior ability.
                          So can you tell us WHY so many Filipinos choose to remain Nurses in the USA when they could make much more money by remaining Doctors?

Nobody on this thread has paired accents with anything that I've noticed.

Comment

So can you tell us WHY so many Filipinos choose to remain Nurses in the USA when they could make much more money by remaining Doctors?

Nobody on this thread has paired accents with anything that I've noticed.
                            It's not always their choice. Some nurses with MD's whom I know did so because of various reasons, including satisfaction with a nurse's pay, spent most of their money moving to the US and can't afford to take the USMLE immediately, etc. Check this out (from http://aboutmyrecovery.com/2007/10/0...ol-graduate/):

Considering there are a large number of US-based doctors and nurses who are graduates of Philippine Medical Schools, then I think not. These Philippine Medical School graduates took up further training in the States. Before they can even practice in the US, our Filipino doctors called Foreign Medical Graduates have to take a USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Exams) which consist of 3 parts to get into residency:

Part 1- Basic Subjects (can be taken in Philippines)
                            Part 2 CK – Clinical Knowledge (can be taken in Philippines)
                            Part 2 CS – Clinical Skills (to be taken in the US)

flickr

Comment

DUH--one glaringly obvious answer is liability. as an MD, you gotta cover yourself & premiums are high. as a nurse, you're covered by the organization you work for and that organization, as long as you acted w/in scope of practice/job description. respondeat superior.

Really? Link? How about we at least exchange photos first, then coffee? Are you height weight proportional? Or may get right down to business?
                              what's your IQ and what did you get on your SATs? how much money do you make and what does your financial portfolio look like? do you own a house? oh, wait--we know the answer to that one.

i'll relegate you to sucking on the tp i use to wipe my obet.

Eh,. gooogle dis right heeah. ANd google to you too.
                              says the passive-aggressive racist who often spews o'reilly-isms (noun: absurd, broad assertions, made in support of a socio-political stance, which have no practical basis in fact. eric coined this word).

You aren't reading my posts carefully.
                              be happy people are even reading them sloppily. i, for example, generally don't read them at all.
                              Last edited by cynsaligia; November 6, 2007, 07:12 PM.
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                                It's not always their choice.
                                Sorry buddy. It's always their choice. Don't insult them by making them victims. It is their choice. The COST is silly. With Doctor pay, they could cover any testing costs in a few hours.

You have still failed to answer the simple question.

Comment

Working...
                                X