Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for Dinner - Chapter 4

Default Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 4

A mini Dagwood sandwich with 3 slices of bread, 3 slices of cheese, 3 kinds of relish and meat from 3 different kinds of animals (beef, pork and turkey), with a orange juice and dessert of a banana and granola bar.

(new rice cooker) Pork hash patties, rice, sliced cucumbers and sauteed cabbage.

I steamed meat for the first time!

(no comments from the peanut gallery)

Quote Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
    (new rice cooker) Pork hash patties, rice, sliced cucumbers and sauteed cabbage.

I steamed meat for the first time!

(no comments from the peanut gallery)
    Nice one

I've got one of those 3 tier steamers:-

eg. Water and a spoon of wine vinegar in the base.

Pork ribs on the bottom level

Cabbage, next level

Potatoes on the top.

Switch on and let it do it for you

I usually do a hickory BBQ sauce to go with the ribs (just to keep me busy)

McDouble and McChicken burgers with a cup of Diet Coke from McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    McDouble and McChicken burgers with a cup of Diet Coke from McDonalds.
    Helen, hopefully you'll get that microwave...wiki wiki!

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

saturday is usually eric's night off but he's filling in right now for someone else at work who had a family emergency in another country. so we scrapped our valentine's dinner at bali by the sea and scooted over to the kaimuki big city diner. i got their cheddar burger with fries and a small side salad. eric ordered himself the valentine's special rib eye with very garlicky mash and a side of buttery broccoli & yellow squash. we shared a glass of the st. francis red they had, too, and followed it with a cup of coffee.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

I made corned beef and cabbage, my wife's favorite. Had a Yellow Tail Shiraz. Mushrooms. Made a corn pudding for the first time. It was eggsalent!

Ani's bake shop custard pie for desert. Gotta take care of the wife on V Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative-1 View Post
    I made corned beef and cabbage, my wife's favorite. Had a Yellow Tail Shiraz. Mushrooms. Made a corn pudding for the first time. It was eggsalent!

Ani's bake shop custard pie for desert. Gotta take care of the wife on V Day.

Now that sounds delicious. It's traditional here to have the corned beef and cabbage on 17th march > St. Patrick's day > with a pint of the black falling down liquid (guiness)

Spaghetti with ground turkey (meat) and Cheeze pizza.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Pizza, side of mushrooms, Diet Coke, followed by ice cream sundae from Gordon Biersch.

Quarter pounder with cheese, fries and a cup of Diet Coke from Ala Moana McDonalds.

I got a good deal on chicken breasts and on mushrooms, so I canned lots...fry chunk of chicken til just browned and then fry onions and mushrooms, pack into a jar with chicken bullion powder and top with water. Can at ten pounds pressure for an hour and a half.

Then:

Empty a can of this into a pot and add evaporated milk, veal powder, cooked carrots, celery and garlic. Simmer and thicken (I used a mashed paste of butter and flour). It was delicious mixed with hot spaghetti.

Two scoops of Mint Chip, a scoop of Cherry Vallinia, scoop of Orange Custard and a can of Mountain Dew from Bubbies Ice Cream.

Prime rib, fried rice, mac salad, carrots and a cup of what seemed to taste like Coke from Lahaina Chicken Company.

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    Prime rib, fried rice, mac salad, carrots and a cup of what seemed to taste like Coke from Lahaina Chicken Company.
    I did send a reply Helen to say that this sounds delicious and also included my recipe for Meat and potato pie. It took me a long time to write out but unfortunately it never got through.

Crock pot again:

Beef chuck roast
    Au Jus sauce mix
    chopped garlic
    cajun seasonings
    herbes de provence
    salt/pepper
    Zinfindel wine

About 5 hrs on high

served with brown rice & a nice gravy made from the leftover sauce.

(and I have leftovers for tomorrow)

It was VERY good

You always make my mouth water. Yummmmmmmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You always make my mouth water. Yummmmmmmmmmmm.
    It's her cooking that makes my mouth water.

Roastzilla

Six kilos of pork shoulder poked with garlic (about two heads' worth), then rubbed with salt and pepper and liquid smoke, poured over with olive oil, and baked for at least eight hours at the lowest temperature I can convince my oven to go....110° centigrade, which is 230° farenheit.

This will last at least two or three days, so I'm also preparing braised red cabbage, boiled potatoes, splitpea porridge, and coleslaw...no cooking for a few days after this, just microwaving.

Disaster

Cooked the standard roast dinner for later. No probs.

Got the breadmaker out and followed the recipe for malt bread. The idea was to have this for afters with other sweet stuff I've got to spread on it.

Don't know what went wrong ? The malt bread came out like a bar of toffee.

I will just have to open a couple of cans of fruit and give them that with cream for after the dinner.

Did you forget the yeast? Or maybe the liquid was too hot and killed the little baby yeasties?

My Mom's recipe for purple cabbage...

Finely chop an onion and fry it in a bit of fat, then add a chopped head of purple cabbge, a couple of chopped apples, a pinch of clove, and a bayleaf or two. If there's wine available (any kind), add some of that, or water. Simmer gently til tender and add salt at the end, if needed.

There's a funny story that goes with my making this recipe.

Before my marriage, I took my French fiancé to Germany to meet my family on my Mother's side...she's the only one who went to America to live, and all the rest of them are still in and around Heilbronn, in the south part of Germany. I spoke German as a small kid, but most of the Germans speak English fairly well, plus some of the French...fiancé included...speak some German.

My intended, thinking to make a good impression, brought along a very good bottle of Bordeaux wine to present to my Uncle Rolf. It came with instructions on how to store it, and when and what to drink it with. This was a wine that was to be put into the cave for at least ten years, and was given with the appreciation that we would be going back to France with not only some of the delicious wine of the Heilbronn region, but also with bottles of homemade schnapps that would be in our cave for decades to come and only brought out for the most special of occasions.

Now, I have to tell you that I LOVE to go back to Germany and eat all the most delicious of the foods that there are on offer there....pretzles, spaetzle, sausages, roast beef with flecks of fat barded through, schnitzel, hot potato salad, braised red cabbage, sauerkraut, maltaschen, salad with their really good homemade vinaigrette....and my family there knows this and makes sure that all that is served when I'm there.

So, a few days later, there was the delicious smell of red cabbage coming from my Aunties' kitchen. My fiancé and my uncle and I were stiiting in the dining room having coffee and cake, when the smell became overpowering and I remarked how much I was looking foreward to lunch, when my Auntie called out in German from the kitchen that it was going to be all the more special because she'd used the bottle of wine that we'd brought.

The look on my uncle's face was priceless. It lasted exactly one second, before he erupted in a great roar, which was answered by quite a lot of banging and screaming from the kitchen.

I knew I had to NOT laugh. My poor uncle was mortified. I knew he had a tiny shred of hope that my fiancé wouldn't have understood what was going on and he could maybe pretend that this hadn't happened. It was one of those moments that you remember forever.

The fiancé looked from one face to another and guessed what had happened and was polite and generous enough to make a joke of it. My poor, poor Uncle Rolf never got over it. I actually didn't care, becase I don't drink wine, but do eat red cabbage...no matter what kind of wine is used for cooking it.

Then there's another story...another boyfriend, another visit to German relatives...This time the BF was an older British one. That very same uncle took him to visit a giant wargrave...the results of which were from an attack by British bombers that had mistaken the city for an industrial area when the cloud cover wasn't too good. Thousands upon thousands died in the firestorm that engulfed the city.

Thanks. I tried to contact you but HT wouldn't let me through.

No way of passing my email on here and I am limited to the amount of words I say on this PM and URL.
    Last edited by Barry; February 22nd, 2009 at 08:09 AM.

McDouble sandwiches, Chicken McNuggets and a cup of Diet Coke from McDonalds.

left overs from yesterday's crock pot dinner. Still delicious!

Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast