This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 4

I posted a recipe to Suzie but you must have all tried it and 'snuffed it.' I haven't heard any more since. !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
      I posted a recipe to Suzie but you must have all tried it and 'snuffed it.' I haven't heard any more since. !!!!
      Where is it? What is it? Hungry me wants to know!
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
        Where is it? What is it? Hungry me wants to know!
        Sorry you didn't get it.

The story goes about a little girl who lives in Pays Basque. You will know it is just across the bay from where I lived.
        One day, her father had to take the sheep and goats to the village for sale and so she was left in the cabin on the mountain.
        Snow cut them off and after a few days the little girl was very hungry.

Out of the snow, her fairy God Mother arrived and told her not to worry. The God mother flew to all the regions in those parts. She gathered wild rice, quail eggs chicken and sea food.

Then she prepared a meal just for the little girl 'Para Ella'

Now called Paella.

I can't give you the recipe Susie, as you know it varies from region to region.

Comment

Sorry you didn't get it.

The story goes about a little girl who lives in Pays Basque. You will know it is just across the bay from where I lived.
          One day, her father had to take the sheep and goats to the village for sale and so she was left in the cabin on the mountain.
          Snow cut them off and after a few days the little girl was very hungry.

Out of the snow, her fairy God Mother arrived and told her not to worry. The God mother flew to all the regions in those parts. She gathered wild rice, quail eggs chicken and sea food.

Then she prepared a meal just for the little girl 'Para Ella'

Now called Paella.

I can't give you the recipe Susie, as you know it varies from region to region.
          I never knew that was how paella got it's name. Here's how I make mine..

Soak half a cup each of dehdrated greenbeans, green pepper, onion, peas, mixed seafood (I use a mixture of squid, shrimp, mussels), cod or tilapia (yes, they eat them here), and chicken or turkey chunks in just enough water to cover along with half a canned chorizo, chopped, and some of the oil from the jar, a big spoonful of paella spice (dunno what's in it...probably saffron and tumeric and hot pepper), and garlic. After a time, when the vegetables have begun to soften a little, drain the liquid and make it up to three cups, then mix everything together along with a cup of rice and stick it in the rice cooker and push the button. Eat.

Most of you know that I am forever canning and dehdrating stuff and use it for cooking, and that's where this recipe comes from...but I'm sure that you cold do the same with fresh stuff, just use maybe about a cup of each thing, or three quarters of a cup, instead of the dried stuff.

Barry, are we still neighbors?

Comment

Brilliant recipe Susie but I only make it when I have a lot of friends coming. I tend to use fresh stuff. Neighbours ? of course we are. lol I only live in Chester, England.( about a couple of hours flight from John Lennon to Nice.) I have many friends in your part of the world. I was brought up in France for ten years as a baby, then later on went to college in Paris.
            I can't say I lived on Oahu but had many 'stays' there of about 3 months a time.

Comment

Brilliant recipe Susie but I only make it when I have a lot of friends coming. I tend to use fresh stuff. Neighbours ? of course we are. lol I only live in Chester, England.( about a couple of hours flight from John Lennon to Nice.) I have many friends in your part of the world. I was brought up in France for ten years as a baby, then later on went to college in Paris.
              I can't say I lived on Oahu but had many 'stays' there of about 3 months a time.
              www.rogerhallett.com

Click on the mouse and you'll get a bird'seye view. Don't go too fast ot you'll get dizzy. Better to fly into Biarritz or Pau.

Comment

Today for dinner we are going to have confit.

First I went to see one of the local farmers and got a big fat force-fed duck. It was already dead and plucked.

The liver inside the duck is what's the foie gras (fat liver)...it's getting canned with a touch of armagnac and a bayleaf and salt and pepper to be served on brioche toast another day.

The duckbreasts are the maigret...thick slabs of dark red meat with a half-inch layer of fat on one side...panfried til rare and eaten sliced thin and bloody.

The thighs and wings have been made into the confit. I sprinkled them with the local big-grained salt and let them sit for 18 hours and then cooked them gently in their own (copious) fat, then canned them in the same fat. Today they'll get gently reheated til the fat melts and then be served all tang and delicious along with potatoes fried with garlic and parsley (in the duckfat, of course), and overboiled greenbeans.

The bones will end up in tomorrow's soup, of course.

Comment

Popcorn, hot dog and a cup of Diet Coke from Ward Theater.

Comment

geez! confit, foie gras, and maigret? talk about food envy over here. then again, i was already food envious what with reading about ox tail soup, wasabi crusted prime rib, and steamed mullet.

after picking up eric from his friend's place, where they watched the colts-chargers game, i drove down the way to old saimin house. we shared the extra large wun tun min, a combo plate of musubi, spam, and two bbq sticks, and ordered an extra bbq stick.

the place was constantly packed the whole time we were there, and we seemed to be the only table where someone didn't know someone else at another table. my guess from the snippets of conversation i heard here and there is that many of the patrons last night came in after church at new hope and were kalihi residents. the place also had quite a few take out orders while we were there. even when we left, there was a couple waiting to take our seats. however, the food being what it is, no one seemed to have to wait very long for a table if there wasn't one readily available.

my childhood favorite saimin stop was palace saimin just across the way fro old saimin, and to this day, i mourn for eric that he never got to try washington saimin, even tho he lived just blocks away for a few years (this was before he met me, of course. his gf at the time wasn't as gastronomically enthused as we are now. then again, she had a history of anorexia, poor girl). i'm not sure which is better --palace or old saimin--mostly because it's been about three years since i last went to palace. regardless, at $18 including tip, we got good, honest, old-school saimin with chewy noodles, a tasty (if slightly salty) broth, a nice slice of perfectly cooked spam (lots of places overcook or undercook) and yummy beef sticks. can't complain. will definitely go there again.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

#4 combo from the Ala Moana Arby's.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        #4 combo from the Ala Moana Arby's.
                        what's the #4?

dinner for eric and me was turkey taco salad: ground turkey browned and seasoned with garlic, onions, and my cumin-chili powder-cinnamon-paprika-cayenne pepper spice mix; romaine lettuce, hauula tomato, local avocado, cheddar and havarti cheeses dressed with pace picante sauce. we had garden of eatin's blue corn tortilla chips on the side instead of putting the salad into a taco shell.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

We had rice steamed with little green peas, canned sardines fried with shoyu, sunny side up fried eggs, and ketchup.

Comment

I work in Waikiki now. I enjoy talking with the tourists. What I don't like is the cost of food. It's very expensive. Last night, I tried Chinese fast food at a place called Fatty someting near the back side of Miramar Hotel. I ordered 1 piece Shoyu Chicken, Sweet Sour Pork and Noodles for $5.50. Da Shoyu chicken tasted like it was just boiled in little wata and shoyu, SSP was passable and the noodles was dry and tasteless.

Well, da good ting about it all is with all da walking and da expensive food around (ha ha ha) I definitely going lose weight!

Now no get me wrong. Get some excellent places to go kaukau. In fact, I love Galaxy Restaurant. It's upstairs in the International Mkt. Place. Kuhio side Entrance, next to Mad Dog Bar. Talk about great cuisine at great prices.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                              I work in Waikiki now. I enjoy talking with the tourists. What I don't like is the cost of food. It's very expensive. Last night, I tried Chinese fast food at a place called Fatty someting near the back side of Miramar Hotel. I ordered 1 piece Shoyu Chicken, Sweet Sour Pork and Noodles for $5.50. Da Shoyu chicken tasted like it was just boiled in little wata and shoyu, SSP was passable and the noodles was dry and tasteless.

Well, da good ting about it all is with all da walking and da expensive food around (ha ha ha) I definitely going lose weight!

Now no get me wrong. Get some excellent places to go kaukau. In fact, I love Galaxy Restaurant. It's upstairs in the International Mkt. Place. Kuhio side Entrance, next to Mad Dog Bar. Talk about great cuisine at great prices.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
                              Aloha Auntie Lynn from across the puddles in frozen England.

You took my mind back to the Galaxy Restaurant. We were having a most delicious meal in the International Market. Suddenly ! the heavens opened and the rain came in on us upstairs. It came down with a vengeance and the waitors stood over us with umbrellas.

I used to love the early morning brakfasts which I could get downstairs in the International Market. That food would set you up for the day and many a long hike or drive.

Comment

Homesick. I'm homesick.

Comment

Working...
                                X