X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 4

Originally posted by Barry View Post
    You took my mind back to the Galaxy Restaurant.

I used to love the early morning brakfasts which I could get downstairs in the International Market. That food would set you up for the day and many a long hike or drive.
    Wow! What service! As foa the International Market Place, heheheh I am working there now. I share Love and ALOHA and also make shua everything is secured and safe. The only hard time I get is from the smokers. From Kalakaua to Kuhio the property is Private and a Non-Smoking Area. I've been called everything in the book but I keep SMILING. Dey neba see me get mad yet. I have to keep cool and professional at all times. But if somebody hit me den das a different story. Da FAMOUS Whacks Whacks going come out!

Food is plentiful at the Court. I can't smell but I can still see all the delicacies.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
      Homesick. I'm homesick.
      Chin up now. I will make you chuckle. As a child in France we never went in for Goose Fat (except as a cure, spread on brown paper and put on your chest for coughs and colds.)

Instead we had beef dripping. This was in a huge crazed basin and left in the pantry. We would snatch some bread and smear it with the dripping, salt and pepper and eat it on our way to school.

Comment

Chin up now. I will make you chuckle. As a child in France we never went in for Goose Fat (except as a cure, spread on brown paper and put on your chest for coughs and colds.)

Instead we had beef dripping. This was in a huge crazed basin and left in the pantry. We would snatch some bread and smear it with the dripping, salt and pepper and eat it on our way to school.

Ohhhh!

I have been licking lard all week long...leftover from a huge pork shoulder roast that I did over the holidays. I poked the roast with about four cloves' worth of garlic and then rubbed it with salt and liquid smoke and then drizzled olive oil over it and roasted it it really slowly for about fourteen hours. It was delicious but there was so much of it. In the end, I scraped up all the rest along with the dripping and canned it.

There was just about two jam jars worth of fat and drippings that didn't go anywhere but on the stove for use in cooking (see recipe for tortillas) Everytime I go past I stick my finger into the jar and then lick the delicious, melting, garlic-y fat off.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

PS They still do the goosefat on the chest thing for colds over here.

Comment

Cooking from Scratch.

I think I have gone back to my roots ?

Lately I have started to cook from scratch, I’ve thrown out all my oven chips, chicken dippers, and other frozen crap and have started to stock up on herbs and spices. I buy my meat in bulk and freeze it. I’ve spent about £40 on meat in the last two weeks but once you’ve got a well stocked freezer, cupboards full of ingredients you can keep the costs at a minimum. When I go out and do the shopping I only get vegetables, and can manage on £25 a week in shopping. Ok, every couple of months I
            have to buy more meat, but it still works out cheaper I get my chicken from the Asda , it’s guaranteed to have been supplied from a local poultry farm and freshly killed. I get my lamb chops and pork steaks from the market and my mince meat and stewing steak from the supermarket.

Anyway, I made a chicken/sweetcorn soup today and it was very tasty, but it made me realise how much we have become used to artificial colourings and flavourings. When you open a tin of Heinz chicken soup it’s all creamy looking and looks good. The soup I made didn’t look anything like what Heinz produce, but I’d say it was better.

People say that they haven’t the time to cook from scratch and it’s far easier to stick some frozen chips and some chicken dippers in the oven for half an hour. I say that’s not true, people still work eight hours a day like they did thirty years ago, so why do you think we no longer have time to prepare a home cooked meal?

I’ve even lost weight since I’ve been cooking from scratch, so what does that tell you?

Comment

Barry,

I always cook from SCRATCH!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I’ve even lost weight since I’ve been cooking from scratch, so what does that tell you?
                It tells me that you don't like your own cooking, that's what.

JUST KIDDING, Barry!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

BBQ Chicken plate lunch from Yummy's BBQ at the Ala Moana Food Court.

Comment

A huge bowl of turkey jook and hot jasmine tea.

Comment

I had a Combination Udon Special from the corner unit at the International KauKau Court. On the right side of the stage. They also serve fresh Italian style Pizzas. The Soup was good. I told the cook to add kim chee. It had Shrimp Tempura, Katsu, Pork Slices, Fish Cake, and Green Onions. The udon was good. I will go back.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

followed my friend iarenna's suggestion and went to asahi grill on ward bcs she was ono for their combo shrimp tempura and tonkatsu don (no onions, pls). i had their saba teishoku. honestly, there's better elsewhere, but i was too tired to think where to go and hata's on king was already closed. halfway through our meal, the mayor walks in. he waves at everyone, goes to a few tables, shakes hands, smiles as he and his companion pass our table to sit at the the one right in front of me/directly behind iarenna. not sure, but i think his dinner partner was the first lady and ceo of girl scouts hawaii--japanese or chinese in ethnicity, maybe in her late forties, with mostly pepper with hints of salt, cropped hair that seemed to have a bit of curl.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Feed your family for Under £1 = Less than 2 Dollars.

This is run by Vicky Novak (No ! I am not advertising.)

It has some great recipes on here which I am certain, many of you will enjoy.

http://www.eggonomics.co.uk/

When she suggests Eggs with a lion stamp on them ! Ignore that, it's only an English custom to guarantee that there is no Salmonella.
                          I just use Free range eggs.

Comment

Combo slice pizza and a cup of Diet Coke from Costco.

Comment

It was Mexican Food last night from Toritos at the IMP Food Court!
                              Enchilada/Taco Plate Combo w/Rice and Beans. It's not on the menu. I asked the owner. $9.50 It was worth it. Homemade taco sauce. ONOLICIOUS.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I'm surprised at how often you all eat out. How can you afford it?

Comment

Working...
                                X