This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for Lunch - Chapter 12

Had some left over Chinese food...some mu shu pork, chicken chow mein, and tomato beef.

Comment

Smoked Salmon on French Toast

This is for 6 people. The lads are going to the football/soccer match this afternoon and just want a light lunch. No doubt they will get pies and pasties while they are there. The frost is very thick still here and it's 10 a.m. So I thought I'd give them something warming.

Ingredients

1 pack of thinly sliced smoked salmon from Asda
      1 pack of cherry tomatoes
      12 pieces of sliced bread
      2 cloves of garlic
      6 Eggs
      1 Mug of milk
      Pepper and Salt

Method

Beat the eggs up in a shallow dish ( I use the pyrex one which I use for Roasts).
      Add thinly chopped garlic with some salt and pepper.

Heat up a large pan of oil/goose fat .

Soak the bread in the mixture, both side for a few mins.

In the meantime :- Chop the cherry tomatoes in half and cut the salmon to fit the toast.

Drop the bread into the hot pan and fry on both sides until it's just puffing up. Remove and put onto some kitchen roll. (removes the grease).

Place the salmon onto the French toast and add the chopped tomatoes.
      Grill for about 5 mins.

Simple but satisfying. I serve it with a glass of non alco ginger beer. (no sugar but fiery warm - a coke product, I think?)
      Last edited by Barry; March 5, 2009, 11:22 PM.

Comment

LikaNui - sounds good!

Today, left over twice cooked pork with potatoes (cause I had the rice last night) and some chocolates and nuts for sweetness.
        If standing up, please hold on. Sudden stops are sometimes necessary - Da Bus

Comment

It happened again.

Just a simple lunch planned with cheese, olives and crisps.

I opened a bag of crisps/chips supposed to be salt and vinegar
          and they're ready salted are they testing on me ???

Comment

Cheese & Onion Pasty

I just defrosted one. When I make them with the light puff pastry, they will be OK in the freezer for a few months.

Ingredients

So what ? I cheat I buy the puff pastry from Sainsbury's and just take as much as I need out of the freezer and then add my own fillings.
            Let's face it ! they have professional cooks to make their pastry. When I tried to make my own, I dropped some on my foot and nearly broke my toe.

Filling

This depends upon how many you want to make - but they do freeze well.

Onion, chopped very fine and fried.
            Potatoes, boiled and mashed.
            Cheese, (I like the Cheddar)
            French mustard
            Salt, Pepper
            Teaspoon of vinegar
            Teaspoon of oil
            1 Egg

Method

Mix all the ingredients together except for the cheese and the egg. ( That is good when its grated over the filling before it's folded and cooked.)
            Roll out the pastry from the freezer. I cut the shape by using a side plate and it gives me just the right size.
            After adding the filling, the cheese goes over next, then I fold, pinch the edges, brush with a beaten egg and then pop into the oven for about 30 mins on gas mark 7.

Cook's tip

They are lovely and I usually make about half a dozen, so they are always available if you want a quick snack. Be prepared to experiment with the ingredients ,,,, eg, add garlic, curry powder or whatever takes your fancy.
            This goes down well with a glass of cold, non alco Ginger Beer.
            Last edited by Barry; March 12, 2009, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Today 8th of April Wednesday starts our lead up to Easter. This has a history steeped in religion but many see it as tradition. Little or no meat is eaten and tomorrow being Mournday Thursday the Queen Washes the feet of 12 pensioners. You probably know that the Queen is not allowed to carry money as her head is on the coins etc. Instead, she has Mournday money minted to give out after the feet washing.

These recipes are Traditional, light, easy, and with people who do not have a strong sense of smell or great tastebuds. Ok Tutusue ?

For 4 people

1 small pack of smoked salmon
              1 small pack of mixed salad
              1 jar of Spanish olives stuffed with anchovies
              1 small pack of cherry tomatoes
              1 small crunchy French loaf
              1 bowl of ailioli
              1 bottle of Vichy water.

I usually pop the smoked salmon under the grill for a minute (it takes that slimy taste of it and also makes the house smell fishy ,,, lol so open your windows Tutusue between now and Easter and you'll know when I've been cooking.

Comment

Swiss cheese burger with bacon and avocado, and an iced tea with lemon. Ate at Kua Aina, for the first time in a few years. DANG those burgers are good! And huge too. I couldn't even finish mine. And it seemed like they put an entire avocado on it.
                No wonder Obama stopped there and stocked up!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

After walking in the hot sun to decide where to go for lunch my friend and I decided to try Hawaiian Spot on Fort St. Mall. Heard good reviews although from the outside of the building with the hand written signs all over the window we started to hesitate. What caught our eye was the Pasteles but what peaked my interest was a sign for Paladeja. My friend said it was like a deep fried burrito with pastele filling. We each ordered one along with french fries for a $5 meal. Since we only had an hour lunch we impatiently waited for our order and scarfed it down. Although my arteries were hardening as I chewed on my fried feast, I would do it all over again...if only I had a longer lunch break.

Comment

You make my mouth water friend. Can you send some across these ponds to England ?

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                      You make my mouth water friend. Can you send some across these ponds to England ?
                      Ahhh, vacationed in London last year and loved it! The food is par but loved the sightseeing! I did enjoy our snacks from the chilled section of Mark & Spencer.

Comment

Had to improve on my mom's Maluhia Hospital minced lunch - juss had to.

Got nori saimin from New Violet's Grill; BBQ chicken mini-plate & char siu manapua from Yummy (across School Street from Kamehameha Bakery); and Hawaii Sun Green Tea. Cut up the saimin and BBQ chicken into small pieces for mom.

No, I nevah finish. I wen try, but my mom, she coulda been more helpful finishing my lunch. Hey, c'mon, I ate some of hers.
                        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

My brother Frank and I went to Kaimuki Chop Suey. Initially, we found it had a typical combination-type lunch set-up . . . 1 choice, 2 choices, 3 choices with rice or noodles. We had the red pork, eggplant, chow mein, shoyu chicken, rice plus a manapua. All very good, very representative of what they served before last year's kitchen fire.

However, we did not know that we could order off their menu. After looking over the menu, we both said, "Next time."

Most customers, we noticed, did not order the combos; they sat down & gave their orders to the waitress without even looking at the menu. The feller behind us sat down and ordered oxtail soup which was served with a bowl of rice - no grated ginger, though. Interesting that no mo oxtail soup on the menu !!!

BTW those Scotch-taped notes on the walls with their specials are not utilized anymore. Artwork replaced them. I miss the notes.
                          Last edited by Palama Kid; May 13, 2009, 02:32 PM. Reason: Clarification
                          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Mushroom and swiss cheeseburger, a salad, and a glass of iced tea with lemon, at The Shack in Kailua.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The new "California" Whopper, small fries and a Raspberry iced tea at Burger King. It was good but I much prefer the Steakhouse XT burgers.
                              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Wow, nobody's posted anything about lunch since May 30!
                                And I thought that breakfast was the "forgotten" meal, LOL.

Anyway, after picking up some visiting friends at the airport, we ended up in Chinatown. It was a tossup between Mei Sum or Happy Garden for dim sum, with Mei Sum winning out this time.

We had a nice assortment: baked char siu bao, har gau, siu mai, crispy taro, chicken feet, spare ribs, egg tarts, and a couple other dim sum dishes that I don't know the names for.

Chicken congee and seafood cake noodle rounded out the meal.
                                And lots of tea!
                                To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Working...
                                X