Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 3

Default Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 3

Awesome photos, Tatt... as usual.
    I've gotta get you and Mel and the others with fancy cameras out to the sandbar this summer. I'd love to see what a good camera could do out there.
    In the meantime, here's a link to a slideshow of 16 photos I took there today with my cheapie camera, an old Olympus D-490 with a measly 2 megapixels.
    Nice day out there today. Totally sunny, then totally cloudy, sunny again, a couple of rain squalls, ad infinitum. (100% sunny right now.)
    (And for your boaters -- I didn't used my rudders even once all day. Did it all with just the transmissions and the trim tabs. Like the SuperFerry.)
    Here's a couple of the shots from that slideshow. This first one is taken from the stern (back) of the boat. When I backed in to anchor, I was able to step off the back of the boat without even getting my knees wet, then hand-carried the anchor in to where it's set. At the same time, the bow (front) of the boat is in 35' of water!:

Here are some of today's neighbors:

And this one shows Kualoa Point in the distance (and Chinaman's Hat, if you look closely). The water color indicates the depth. At the bottom of the photo, the water is 35' deep on the left side and 1' deep on the right side:

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    Awesome photos, Tatt... as usual.
    I've gotta get you and Mel and the others with fancy cameras out to the sandbar this summer. I'd love to see what a good camera could do out there.
    My fear is getting the big expensive camera wet!

Often times I've seen some great pictures taken with lesser endowed cameras. All of the shots I've seen of the sandbar from you look good IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    My fear is getting the big expensive camera wet!
    Guaranz, we can it keep it bone dry, Mel. One of my buddies has a camera that cost $4,500 [/gasp] and never has a problem. Keep the camera down below in the cabin while I'm underway at speed. If you see something you want to shoot, I stop the boat for a minute. Once at the sandbar, just step off the boat with the camera sealed in one or two large ZipLoc bags just for extra insurance. Nothing to it.

Often times I've seen some great pictures taken with lesser endowed cameras.
    Back in the day, I got incredibly lucky with one shot that was actually used as the cover of a fairly large magazine. The photo was taken with... a $4 disposable camera! (Fuji. Best color saturation.) Pure unmitigated luck.
    The photo's in a box somewhere. I'll try to find it and post it.

All of the shots I've seen of the sandbar from you look good IMHO.
    You're too kind. But thanks.
    Now look at this guy on the left. His knees are dry. He could've easily held a camera and kept it dry:

And see all those little dots way off in the background (below)? Those are people with dry knees (and dry cameras) too!:

My offer stands, Mel.

sealed in one or two large ZipLoc bags just for extra insurance.
    I've learned the hard way that ZipLocs are not water proof. It might be ok for a quick dunk, but not for any length of time. Better to get the waterproof bags in the camping section.

The big news today is the announcement that NCL Hawaii Cruises will be pulling the Pride of Aloha out of the island market. Of the three cruise ships operated by NCL in Hawaii, I think this was the nicest looking one, despite being the smallest. With the departure of the Pride of Hawaii last week, the island cruise market is left with NCL's Pride of America. Surely a sign of either a bad marketing plan or a softening economy.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Great Shot, Mel! I can't believe she it the "little one", lol!

Here is her Big Sister, we had an AWESOME time on this boat! Not to mention the other Islands. Maui and Kauai were my top 2 pics

From Maui, on High Street

On the Big Island, Kona

flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    I've learned the hard way that ZipLocs are not water proof. It might be ok for a quick dunk, but not for any length of time. Better to get the waterproof bags in the camping section.
    You're right, and "dry bags" are also available at all kayak stores.
    But in this case, we're not talking about taking Mel on a kayak or a Hobie cat or anything where he can expect to get wet. It would be on a 30' Sea Ray Express, going out to the sandbar, where he can step right off the boat into less than 2' of water. In that case, a ZipLoc or two is just extra, but unneeded, insurance. If it was a really windy day, there might be some salt spray in the air. Other than that... dry dry dry.

Took the boat to the sandbar again yesterday. Nothing spectacular, but the slideshow of 11 photos is at this link.
    Interesting to see a huge Navy ship leaving the marine base and heading out through the bay.
    Weather was perfectly sunny in the morning, with clouds building up in the afternoon and coming off the Ko`olau mountains and out over the bay, opposite of normal tradewind patterns. A bit of Vog in the air.
    Seems like the sandbar's high spot is gaining more sand. I was there at high tide, and you can see that the high spot is bigger than past photos I've posted. As the tide started to drop, it got much bigger.
    Planning to go again tomorrow, on President's Day. Will take the kayak along this time, and plan to anchor away from the crowds and the high spot, so hopefully will have some different photos, in case anyone isn't bored and still bothers looking at them.
    Here's a couple of teasers from yesterday:

here's a couple recognizable places with a twist...

Cool pics, looks like HDR.
    flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Quote Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
    Cool pics, looks like HDR.
    Yeah it's the Tone Mapping portion of HDR with just 1 pic

ahhh, see these are the things I want to learn. I have Photoshop, and Pain.net, but photoshop seems SO difficult to use/learn.
    flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

If you want free photoshop tutorials that's easy to use try going to Youtube.com and follow the series of tutorials by Photoshop Mama. Or go to her website at: photoshopmama.net

It's so easy to use. Youtube has been such a blessing for free tutorials for stuff like Access, Excel and a bunch of other Office suite and database programs such as Groupwise and others.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; February 18th, 2008 at 06:41 PM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Took the boat to the sandbar again yesterday. (...)
    Planning to go again tomorrow, on President's Day. Will take the kayak along this time, and plan to anchor away from the crowds and the high spot, so hopefully will have some different photos, in case anyone isn't bored and still bothers looking at them.
    Did it. The weather was perfect. Ended up close to the high spot anyway, since friends were nearby and waved me in.
    Took the new (to me) kayak along, and got some interesting shots from it. Just stuck the camera in two ZipLoc bags and pulled it out when I wanted to shoot. Paddled way out toward the reef and found a Japanese fishing float drifting in. Saw a huge honu and a large manta ray.
    Ended up taking 35 photos (including about a dozen of the boat, since it was a new angle from the kayak). The slideshow is at this link.
    A couple of teasers?
    My boat is the one on the right:

The orange ball is the Japanese fishing float:

Three more teasers.
    I like the composition of this one:

Here's a sandbar traffic jam:

And here's the ride:

That's it. To see the rest, the link is in the post above. Thanks for putting up with the sandbar mania...

Interesting to see a huge Navy ship leaving the marine base and heading out through the bay.
    Yeah, don't usually see something that big so close in. My brother says it's not Navy. Markings not correct. Not sure what it was.

the kids "fishing" at Moanalua Garden

I'd rather be ... LOST

I'd love to see what a good camera could do out there. (...) In the meantime, here's photos I took there today with my cheapie camera, an old Olympus D-490 with a measly 2 megapixels.
    And I'm pleased to say that that Olympus camera is now retired. It was replaced, just a few hours ago, with a Kodak Z712 IS, with 7.1 megapixels and a 12x (!!!) zoom. (And the "IS" stands for Image Stabilization; a desirable feature since the camera will be used from a boat quite often.) I also got a SanDisk 2GB memory card for it.
    Anyone here on HT have opinions on this camera? I looked at the reviews at this link on Amazon.com, and was pleasantly surprised to see that of 107 reviews, 68 give the camera 5 stars, 29 gave it 4 stars, and only 10 were lower than that. I hope I made a good choice.
    It's gonna be great fun to learn how to get the most out of it, but it seems to do pretty darned well just on the Full Auto mode. Straight out of the box and on Full Auto, I snapped these 9 test photos, shown as a slideshow at that link.
    Here's two shots from my yard (and like the slideshow, reduced in size for easier internet viewing):

Gotta love the 12x zoom, and here's why. If you look really really closely, you might see the yellow fire hydrant dead-center in this photo:

And here it is, using the zoom and taken from exactly the same place:

Wow, tons of amazing photos!

Here's one of the big silverback at the San Diego Zoo.

Last edited by Jim75; February 27th, 2008 at 05:09 PM.

Shopping Carts!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    [...]
    Shopping Carts!
    Looooooooooove it!!! <tee hee!>

I took this photo at Honaunau on the Big Island last March.

Here is the above photo Kaliedescoped.

Very nice! Love the yellow tang right in the middle.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast