Waikiki Nei

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waikiki Nei

Wow! What an extravaganze this will be. A huge, Las Vegas style, Hawaii themed, Cirque type show with seating for 700. When the show is over the seats collapse and it becomes a club (lounge?...what's the diff?).

During a casting session today one of the actors who clearly has his hand on the pulse of entertaining in Hawaii, in general, and Waikiki, in particular resolutely said that tourists don't come to Hawaii to see a Las Vegas type show. If they attend this type of show it has to have a Hawaii theme. Looks like that's exactly what's going to happen with Waikiki Nei.

So...whattaya think the odds are on this type of show succeeding here? And, for how long?

Re: Waikiki Nei

I believe it will be very, very successful, but man. Who wants to see this? Not me! It doesn't sound like ANYTHING I'd want to see. Ugh. I don't get it; I really don't get it.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I probably will see it but not so much to be entertained as to see the production value and recognizable cast members! I saw Cirque Hawaii a few weeks ago and was a bit underwhelmed. So, yah, I'll look forward to seeing how Waikiki Nei comes together.

Comment

I'd see it! I've seen "O," Mystere," and "Ka" several times each. If it's going to be Cirque Du Soleil style, then it'll definitely be entertaining for sure.
        Don't think I'd stick around for the club after, though.
        If anything, this should be a very successful moneymaker for the producers of the show.
        So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Just an FYI...I saw Waikiki Nei last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, it's received mixed reviews and yes, it still can use some tweaking. But, overall, I was pleasantly surprised. Three scenes stood out...surfing, canoeing and an "underwater" aerial ballet. Also love that the production uses live music.

Recommended!

Comment

Is this show similar to Ulalena on Maui? This show is very popular with visitors as well as residents. I haven't yet seen it, but several people I know have, and they rave about it.

http://www.ulalena.com/Show.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
              Is this show similar to Ulalena on Maui? This show is very popular with visitors as well as residents. I haven't yet seen it, but several people I know have, and they rave about it.

http://www.ulalena.com/Show.html
              I've not seen Ulalena so cannot compare the 2 shows. However, at least 2 key Waikiki Nei personnel are/were involved in Ulalena. I truly hope the Waikiki show enjoys the same success as the Maui show.

Comment

I saw both Ulalena and Waikiki Nei in the same week - specifically so I could compare the two. I enjoyed them both but loved Ulalena the most! I guess Ulalena's theme was more interesting to me. I'm more of a 'kahiko' fan than 'auana' - if you know what I mean!
                Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

The show is already pau. Closed their doors. 90 people are "on furlough."
                  They say they might reopen just for the holiday season.

This may be the shortest thread ever on HT.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    The show is already pau. Closed their doors. 90 people are "on furlough."
                    They say they might reopen just for the holiday season.

This may be the shortest thread ever on HT.
                    Imagine what it is like to be a performer in this show. Cripes. No wonder they all have day jobs. We don't have Rex Johnson to feel sorry for. We have salt of the earth folks who wait tables, clean rooms, wear drive-thru head gear or work at hotel front desks during the day so they can sing and dance, participate in a dream world by night.

Battered ballet slippers, reinforced tap shoes, the leads, the chorus line, the stage crew, the producer. For them, real life is a leap of faith, every single day. For them, I hope this $700 billion bail out means those stage lights will soon come back on. But will it?
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Hmmm...I was under the impression that the show was put on hiatus 'til the holidays in order to tweak it. I was also told that 3 or 4 nights in Oct. were sell-outs. I wonder if those groups cancelled. 750 seats are hard to fill during a tanking economy. I also wonder how Ulalena is doing.

Regardless, yah, what lavagal said...

Comment

My family and I were shocked at the news, well more like disappointed since the show was on our list of activities to explore in November. I do hope it returns, I wish everyone involved prosperity. *sigh*
                        ___
                        "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                          No wonder they all have day jobs.
                          /nod sadly at LG

They didn't coin the term "starving artist" for nothing. The world's a machine, and it wants cogs, not creatives.
                          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                          "
                          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

The marketplace has decided. It's a commercial venture and sadly in this phase it failed. Firms cannot continue to bleed red ink if customers don't come in. Closure was the only option. Opening any new business during a down economy is a huge risk. I am sure the people who bankrolled this knew it.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                            X