Stupid tattoos...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stupid tattoos...

Last year, my sisters and I journeyed to Samoa and the three of us got our 'malu' - the traditional Samoan women's thigh tattoo.

Most people were very supportive of our decision although we're not full Samoan, we don't live there and don't speak the language fluently - so we were judged by some as not being worthy of this great honor.

Here's an excerpt from the blog I wrote right after I got my tattoo:

It was a deeply personal decision and may not be what you agree with or what you would do but me being me, I did what I wanted and I'm happy with my decision. Even with the subsequent infection and difficult recovery, I feel that it has all been a part of the process. It's a rite of passage that I feel I've earned and although certain people want to judge me as not being worthy because I don't speak Samoan fluently and I don't know the Samoan ways, I claim this tattoo as my birthright.

The actual tattoo session was a very spiritual experience for me and I feel even more closely linked to my ancestors who also wore the tatau. I have enormous respect for them all, especially my great, great grandmother Fa'asipa Ligaliga Seiuli - the matriarch of my Tuiletufuga family who lived a very colorful life. By the time I met her before her death in the late 1980's, she was blind and very old but still wore her malu proudly. I really felt her presence with me as I was getting tattooed.

What made it extra special for me was to be able to go through it with my 2 younger sisters. They are true warriors! I am proud to have been able to go through this experience with them and to carry on this noble tradition.

I have the blood of ancestors who came from many different countries in my veins. Anyone who knows me knows that I most relate to my Maori side - but this year has been a time for me to get back in touch with my Samoan side. From participating in Samoan Idol in May, to traveling to Samoa again after 22 years and of course, getting my malu. I hope to continue on this journey by learning more about my Samoan geneology and acquiring the knowledge of what is expected of me now that I have this tattoo.

We experienced some negativity from people in Samoa (mostly women) who couldn't understand why we (as perceived outsiders) would get a malu - but the amount of people who were positive far outweighed the "haters!" Strangers came up and took pictures of us, offered words of encouragement and showed genuine interest in the fact that we had come back to Samoa to do it right.

These marks now define me as a Samoan - no matter where I go in the world - I wear them with pride. They link me not only to my ancestors but also to future generations whom I hope will continue this honorable, courageous and beautiful tradition forever.
    In Polynesian cultures, your tattoo represents your ancestors, your family, your home and your mana! You have to go through the pain to get the mana and after spending four days in hospital with a very nasty infection after getting my malu, I got the MANA!

Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Ah, beautiful! The human body makes for a perfect canvas and the work on the canvas is topnotch.
      On a side note, who cares about whether or not you speak the language or live there? What matters is that you are aware of your heritage and you show respect for it.

Back to the original subject, would you mind giving us a close-up?
      Last edited by LonLeroux; May 30, 2008, 11:22 AM.
      Hail to the Chief Bloomenbergensteinenthal, shiksa.

Comment

Back to the original subject, would you mind giving us a close-up
        Umm... me??? The original subject is stupid tattoos - but mine's not stupid!

Not sure if you meant me but how about I go one better? Check out these links for videos we shot during the tattooing process. The first is the coping mechanism I used to deal with the pain (singing)... and the second is the video I shot of my sister getting her tattoo - it has more close up footage of the au (tattooing instrument) going into the skin. The song being sung tells the legend of how tattooing came to Samoa. Legend says two sisters brought the art of tatau (tattoo) from Fiji. It has become our theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg0jpkOy2PE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIgCNQeZYBA
        My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
          Umm... me??? The original subject is stupid tattoos - but mine's not stupid!
          The "original subject" as in the subject I was conversing with you about and not the original post...but you already knew that.
          I do not regard what you had done as being stupid.

Moving on, thank you for sharing the links with us.

Cheers.
          Hail to the Chief Bloomenbergensteinenthal, shiksa.

Comment

Wow, Kiwidiva...just plain, ol' WOW!!! Whatta voice! The whole process...the tatau, your sisters, the music, you singing...gave me chickenskin. Who is the elderly lady fanning you? She has a wonderful face.

Comment

Who is the elderly lady fanning you? She has a wonderful face.
              That is my grandmother! She does have a lovely face. Thanks for saying that, tutusue!

I was so lucky to have nana there with us. She's very religious and we weren't sure she would approve but she was our biggest supporter - through the whole process she was using ice to cool me down and fanning me and singing to me! That was another thing that made it so special. It was funny because we were singing all kinds of songs: contemporary pop, gospel, Samoan, Maori and Fijian - it was a real jam session! It's the only way to get tattooed! I was telling my vocal teacher (the late Rhonda) that my voice has never sounded better!

It was nana's grandmother that had the malu (great, great grandma's went all the way up on the buttocks - nowadays, they just do the women's to the top of the thigh). I feel so privileged to have met my grandmother's grandmother! I know not many can say they have! I'm just so disappointed that when all five generations of us were in the same room, no one took a picture! Like DERRRRRRR!

I think Nana also took pride in the attention we received. Three tattooed sisters walking down the main street in Apia - we certainly stopped traffic!

Last edited by kiwidiva; May 30, 2008, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Awesome...Beautiful!!!

Mahalo for sharing.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                  Three tattooed sisters walking down the main street in Apia - we certainly stopped traffic!
                  What a story. You and your sisters simply rock.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Thought this was a neat read, and points to things addressed earlier in the thread.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/workl...ork/index.html
                    flickr

An email from God:
                    To: People of Earth
                    Date: 9/04/2007
                    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

Had a family member come to visit last month. We went to see a polynesian show, and the dancers had visible tattoos on the low back.

He said, "Look at the tramp stamp...." Now six months to a year ago, I would have agreed. But not anymore. We had a discussion about tattoos and different views of their significance.

By no means am I saying that I know all, or that I have been Awakened from my Ignorant Ways, but I have learned a little bit. And I passed it on.

They really are viewed differently in different parts of the world....

Comment

During the Sturgis Bike Rally, I usually go up and have a look around at the proceedings for a couple of hours. Many people get tattooed by ink-slingers that come and set up shop just for the Rally crowd. In the first pic, the woman in the center is getting a tat. The images in the top half of the photo are actually behind the camera, reflected off the glass of the storefront window. I snapped the second one just because I was standing next to this lady and her tattoo demanded to be photographed.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                          I decided to scan my tattoo in to my 'puter.
                          Don't have a photo of "before".
                          Originally it was a Tokin' tatt, then a church tatt and now a "Menehune Man" tatt. Oh boy...
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I only have one tattoo - I would like another but haven't decided what I want it to be.

Leo - when I first decided to get one, I was going to get it exactly where you said, on my shoulder. Then I realized that if I got it there - I wouldn't be able to see it. Since it was for me - I got it just above my ankle instead. It's a celtic knot design which is MY cultural heritage. It was a very mellow experience and was not painful. As someone else said - it's more of a mild irritation. Took about 45 minutes and not painful. If that is all that's holding you back - rethink your feelings and just go get one!

I got my tattoo to celebrate & recognize a significant time in my life and I've been very pleased to have gotten it. I can see it everyday and it is very empowering and reminds me of why I got it.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                              Leo - when I first decided to get one, I was going to get it exactly where you said, on my shoulder. Then I realized that if I got it there - I wouldn't be able to see it. Since it was for me - I got it just above my ankle instead. It's a celtic knot design which is MY cultural heritage. It was a very mellow experience and was not painful. As someone else said - it's more of a mild irritation. Took about 45 minutes and not painful. If that is all that's holding you back - rethink your feelings and just go get one!

I got my tattoo to celebrate & recognize a significant time in my life and I've been very pleased to have gotten it. I can see it everyday and it is very empowering and reminds me of why I got it.
                              My husband has a celtic knot too, on the upper arm...but I have a row of shamrocks all around my ankle area, same as you.... carry my luck with me, and as you said so well, it's for me, and I can see it every day.

As far as a STUPID tattoo, yeah! I got one of those too; on my right shoulder, Green Eggs and Ham. No, I wasn't stoned, just stupid. I was wearing that picture on my shirt, and we made a copy, and the thing has been there for 9 years. Maybe I can get a cover-up, like Menehune Man did (GREAT job on the new Tat), if only I knew what to get. Naw, it didn't hurt, and I fell asleep from the drone of the gun.

My youngest owns a chain of tattoo parlors in San Diego, and he FORBADE any other family member from getting one, especially his little sister...

If you really love it, do it. If you're not sure, wait until you are. LOL, I always wonder why people are staring at my ankle? Oh yeah..............

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                                My youngest owns a chain of tattoo parlors in San Diego, and he FORBADE any other family member from getting one, especially his little sister...
                                Why? Any special reason he is forbidding it? (I understand the little sister one.)

Comment

Working...
                                X