Hawaiian Airlines Signs With Airbus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian Airlines Signs With Airbus

Well I guess Hawaiian Airlines wasn't affected as much as Aloha over Go if they can afford to buy that much plane.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      Well I guess Hawaiian Airlines wasn't affected as much as Aloha over Go if they can afford to buy that much plane.
      Indeed, read somewhere HA only has something like ~$870 million net worth yet this purchase is $4.4 billion. Granted, it's spread out over a decade but that's still a hefty bill. All the more reason to suspect HA wants to tap into the business traveler market. How else will they be able to pay off this debt and make money?

Still wondering when AQ will replace their planes though....how many more low cycle 737-200s are left?

Comment

Aloha also flew the F-27... After flying on the dc-3s, this aircraft was awesome.
        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

The sentimental feeling and disappointment that Hawaiian did not go with Boeing gets more convoluted as Airbus is considering building manufacturing plants in the US. So like buying a Honda or Toyota, is there any meaning to buying American?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            The sentimental feeling and disappointment that Hawaiian did not go with Boeing gets more convoluted as Airbus is considering building manufacturing plants in the US. So like buying a Honda or Toyota, is there any meaning to buying American?
            Not if you factor in American brands are now being made somewhere else (China, Taiwan, etc.)
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              It is not guaranteed that Airbus will build a plant in the US. A lot depends on the outcome of the USAF tanker competition between Boeing with their modified 767and Northrop/Grumman/Airbus with a modified A330 it seems like.

If for some miraculous reason the Airbus group wins, the likely hood of Airbus building a US plant will go up. Especially since whoever wins will likely be the same company that will eventually replace all the USAF's KC-135's.Thus justifying the enormous investment in building the plant infrastructure here.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Re: Hawaii's Interisland Air War - Chapter 4

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                As for A350, I'm holding my final opinion until we know more about it. Originally they were only going do minor changes to the A330 and re-name it A350. When that was obviously insufficient to compete with the 787, Airbus did a total re-design. Which means the A350 won't be available until middle of the next decade.
                Aww. Too bad, so sad.

Guess devoted Warriors fan won't enjoy taking an Airbus shuttle to and from NOLA for the Sugar Bowl.

Comment

This Just In...

HA is offering Sugar Cane Express package deals with a charter direct flight to and from NOLA, ranging from $3300 to $5500 (including air, hotel, tickets, and buses).

http://www.khnl.com/global/story.asp?s=7452294
                  http://www.khon2.com/news/local/12141006.html

Comment

Anyone who's interested in more detail on HA's decision to choose Airbus can check out this podcast with Dunkerley. Seems the deal breaker with Boeing was the delivery time for a 787 and the lack of an interim solution, used 767s are hard to come by and the bulk of HA's fleet of 767s will either hit end of useful life or end of lease between 2009-2014. Choice of Rolls Royce for engines was default on 350 (only engine available) but on the 330, it's the most popular choice so resale value should be better when the time comes. Markets HA is aiming to expand into are the Asian markets and nonstop East Coast flights. Core market will still be HI-West Coast. Europe will be based on demand, if demand exists, they are willing to go there. The 717s will be around for another 8-9 years, that's when the lease is up. However, they will start shopping for a replacement in the next few years. They will most likely look for a plane in the 100 pax capacity.

Personally, I like to see them take a look at the new ATR-72-600s due out in 2010.
                    Last edited by joshuatree; December 5, 2007, 08:16 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Too bad they can't get one of those Airbuses for the Sugar Cane Express.

Comment

So I was lucky enough to be out in Phoenix this past week and while I was enjoying my peanuts and looking at the map of the US where Southwest serves, I had a random thought. Sky Harbor Airport is pretty huge. Can't Hawaiian transfer their 717s up here and create a secondary focus hub? Say for instance, Phoenix? So you reach out to Dallas, Houston, Denver, Salt Lake City, Chicago by doing 717 hops between these cities and Phoenix? Then increase your 767 frequency to Phoenix and voila, more market penetration? The inter island market is better off with turboprops and HA won't have to lose money by canceling the leases on the 717s?

Comment

Hawaiian Airlines Signs Purchase Agreement with Airbus for Delivery of 12 New Wide-Body Aircraft
                          Agreement Paves the Way for Long-Range Fleet and Route Expansion
                          HONOLULU – Having reached key labor agreements with its pilot and flight attendant unions on the introduction of new aircraft, Hawaiian Airlines today announced that it has signed a definitive purchase agreement with Airbus to acquire 12 new long-range wide-body aircraft and secure purchase rights for an additional 12 aircraft.

The transaction, which follows a Memorandum of Understanding announced in November 2007, is the first step in a phased fleet plan designed to replace Hawaiian’s current wide-body fleet of 18 aircraft, expand its long-range fleet, and enable it to open new routes to more distant markets on a nonstop basis from Hawaii.

Under the signed Purchase Agreement, Hawaiian is acquiring six wide-body A330-200 aircraft and six A350XWB-800 (Extra Wide-Body) aircraft, and purchase rights for an additional six A330-200s and six A350XWB-800s. The agreement has a total list-price value of approximately $4.4 billion if all of the purchase rights are exercised.

With Hawaiian’s long-term fleet direction now established, President and CEO Mark Dunkerley said the company will move to secure additional aircraft in the leasing market for entry into service between 2009 and 2012.

Comment

I'm just a bit upset at Hawaiian that they could expand their overseas routes yet don't even have the courtesy to expand a direct Hilo to Maui route. I mean they are Hawaii's airline right? Seems their focus is more on getting people in and out of Hawaii rather than around it.

With all that said I can't see any reason why Mesa cannot operate here since Hawaiian seems more interested in operating elsewhere.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              I'm just a bit upset at Hawaiian that they could expand their overseas routes yet don't even have the courtesy to expand a direct Hilo to Maui route. I mean they are Hawaii's airline right? Seems their focus is more on getting people in and out of Hawaii rather than around it.

With all that said I can't see any reason why Mesa cannot operate here since Hawaiian seems more interested in operating elsewhere.
                              Unfortunately, they gotta go where they can make money, and for at least the next several years, while we weather tough economic times in this country (which means fewer vacations for many Americans), the foreign travel market will be booming because the dollar has been devalued so badly. Hawaiian also has this cachet with Mainland and foreign travellers of being a premium carrier (based on their consistently best on time of all major carrier stats for the last 4 years) and they are trying to exploit that, too.

As long as go! is in Hawaii and running in the red with $39 fares, neither HA nor AQ is going to do much reaching out to local travellers, unfortunately. All they will try to do is match go! and hope it leaves town soon.

Joshua and I figured out once that if all the air carriers charged around $60-75/OW for interisland flights, they'd at least break even and all three could survive. But with the $39 fares, no one is making any money in Hawaii.
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                                Hawaiian also has this cachet with Mainland and foreign travellers of being a premium carrier (based on their consistently best on time of all major carrier stats for the last 4 years) and they are trying to exploit that, too.

Im one of those that find that somewhat a stretch. I guess "technically" you could say HA has the best "on time" performance, but really how can you compare sun drenched HNL with service "just" to/from about 9 or 10 west coast cities with airlines such as UA, US, AA, NW, CO etc. serving rain soaked and wintery iced hubs throughout the nation, even during high summer, many of those airports are choked to capacity with , while HNL flights ease in and out due to minimal traffic here. Not really a fair comparison in my opinion. Even interisland, I've rarely had an Interisland flight leave late save for the occasional storm (as in Kona in December, but that was due to a late inbound from HNL).
                                n'importe

Comment

Working...
                                X