Tin Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tin Man

Did anyone else watch the start of this mini-series on Sci Fi? If you didn't catch the opening episode, it will play again tonight from 7-9pm followed by the next installment. It is very well done and a creative re-working of the Wizard of Oz tale.

Re: Tin Man

I watched about the first 45 minutes of it. . . taped it to watch the rest later.

It's interesting, but I really can't stand the monotone of the lead actress. I've seen here in a couple other movies and it works for certain characters (disaffected youth and whatnot) but not so much in this role; I think they could have found a better actress. She's really ruining the whole show for me everytime she opens her mouth.
    Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

You are speaking of Zooey Deschanel I believe. I quite like her approach to the role. The character she is playing does not pull back or hesitate to do what she considers right in a situation regardless of danger - and without screaming her head off which I find particularly annoying in female characters. She does do it rather laconically which adds to the general feeling that we are watching a production influenced by the Western movie genre. You gotta love Neal McDonough playing a character named Cain who is essentially a small town sheriff from the school of shoot-the-bad-guys-first and sort it out later. Then again, I am a big fan of Serenity/Firefly which was essentially a Western set in the future.

Comment

You are speaking of Zooey Deschanel I believe.
        I am.

The character she is playing does not pull back or hesitate to do what she considers right in a situation regardless of danger - and without screaming her head off which I find particularly annoying in female characters.
        Which is to the credit of the writers more than her, I'm sure.

She does do it rather laconically which adds to the general feeling that we are watching a production influenced by the Western movie genre.
        Perhaps. But I keep epecting her to yawn after every line of dialogue. She sounds so bored.

"We have to find my parents. . . *yawn*. . . right after I take a nap."

I dunno, maybe it'll get better.

Comment

I went to the Sci Fi channel tonite, promptly at 7pm (based on the 1st post on this thread) to watch the first part of the series. I was very disappointed that what I got was part II. Part I had started earlier. Hopefully, one of these days, they will replay the series.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            I went to the Sci Fi channel tonite, promptly at 7pm (based on the 1st post on this thread) to watch the first part of the series. I was very disappointed that what I got was part II. Part I had started earlier. Hopefully, one of these days, they will replay the series.
            My sincere apologies for the bad information. When I checked my TV schedule it appeared that what I posted was correct. However, we had the same experience you had as I wanted the dearly beloved to see the first episode (he missed it due to work) and were equally disappointed. If I happen to find out when it will air, I'll drop you a note and we can both try again.

Comment

Aw crap, that was Part II last night? I thought they were going to air them every Sunday. Dammit, now I have to wait for them to re-run Part II so I can tape it too.

Comment

Hopefully, one of these days, they will replay the series.
                Part 1, 2 & 3 will air again in a marathon on Sunday.

I'm waiting until then to watch them all back-to-back.

Sorry, I don't know what time it starts but I'll check my guide and post it up.

Sad to hear that Zooey Deschanel isn't doing a good job in the lead role. I really like her! Loved her in ELF - she has a great singing voice too. I was wondering if she would break out in song in this one (or would that be TOO Judy Garland?)...
                Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                  Part 1, 2 & 3 will air again in a marathon on Sunday.

I'm waiting until then to watch them all back-to-back.

Sorry, I don't know what time it starts but I'll check my guide and post it up.

Sad to hear that Zooey Deschanel isn't doing a good job in the lead role. I really like her! Loved her in ELF - she has a great singing voice too. I was wondering if she would break out in song in this one (or would that be TOO Judy Garland?)...
                  Thanks for the info on the marathon.

I think Zooey D. is doing a good job. Zovo is not so keen on her in the role. I wish she would sing! I'm having a hard time figuring out how they'd work that into this version...but it's not out of the question.

Comment

The marathon starts at noon on Sunday on the Sci Fi Channel.

Part 1 12:00
                    Part 2 2 p.m.
                    Part 3 4 p.m.

I have satellite (DirectTV) so that's what my schedule says, it should be the same for roadrunner but just double check it on the day (no guarantees from me!)
                    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Aw man. Why wasn't this thread titled "Zooey Deschanel?" I skipped it because, well...I don't know why I skipped it. I'd have jumped right on it if Zooey's name had been in the title.

She was sweet in Bridge to Terabithia. I like her.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I like her
                        I like her too but she really tanked in this one! Maybe Zovo's comments influenced me but I started to wait for her to yawn too! She pretty much acted with her eyes - which were just opened wide in awe of EVERYTHING! I wonder if that was in the script (DG: opens eyes in awe...) I think it was supposed to show how childlike and naive her character was but it just made her look stupid!

I wasted six hours of my life watching this - the only bright side is that I also got all my laundry done at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                          I like her too but she really tanked in this one! Maybe Zovo's comments influenced me but I started to wait for her to yawn too! She pretty much acted with her eyes - which were just opened wide in awe of EVERYTHING! I wonder if that was in the script (DG: opens eyes in awe...) I think it was supposed to show how childlike and naive her character was but it just made her look stupid!

I wasted six hours of my life watching this - the only bright side is that I also got all my laundry done at the same time.
                          The ending was a bit bland, to me. Although I did enjoy it enough to see the marathon on Sunday. I think what kept my interest were the performances of the supporting characters (Mr. Caine and Glitch being the two I liked the most).

Comment

Overall, I really enjoyed this mini-series. I thought the development of the relationships between DG and her sidekicks was particularly well done. The affection and concern that they had for each other felt genuine. It was good to see the Tin Man get an appropriate revenge on his nemisis. The weakest character was the evil witch/sister, imo.

Comment

Dudes, it was like, epic, far out...wicked cool...an excellent adventure! Excellent!!! [air guitar]

Tin Man had a Zooey wearing a tankini, my dream home in the country side (with fields of grain that brushed your hands just like in the movie Gladiator with Russel Crowe & Enya, i call it 'Gladiator Grain'), evil flying boob monkeys, and Shakira as a dancing robotic fortuneteller!

Indiana Jones was trapped in that underwater sea suit thing, watching his wife and son get tortured over and over again. But somehow he didn't let his anger consume him. He is like the pinnacle of manliness and he offered his strength and time to DG, Raw, and Glitch. Only to get frozen to death, heartbroken after seeing his wife's tinsuit, shot through the heart but still carried on.

Evil Duke: Put them in the iron maiden.

Ted: Iron Maiden?

Bill, Ted: Excellent!

[air guitar]

Evil Duke: Execute them.

Bill, Ted: Bogus!

Comment

Working...
                              X