Superbad DVD - fake Hawai'i license promotion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superbad DVD - fake Hawai'i license promotion

Now kids, I know you might be tempted to drive a car or buy alcohol with the fake Hawai'i drivers license available in the Wal-Mart 2-disc unrated extended edition of the Superbad DVD... but DON'T DO IT!

http://www.kitv.com/video/14777157/index.html

I haven't seen the movie so I don't get the Hawai'i license reference - so if anyone has seen it, can you elaborate on the relevance of this quite realistic license being given away in the DVD packet as a promotion? This picture doesn't look very realistic but from the video story, you can see that the license being given away in the DVD pack is quite a good replica.
    Last edited by kiwidiva; December 5, 2007, 03:04 PM.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Superbad DVD - fake Hawai'i license promotion

I haven't seen the movie myself but according to the trailers to the movie that was shown in theaters, one of the characters get's a fake State of Hawaii drivers license. He called himself "McLovin" (or something like that), with age of 21 and being an organ donor.

Comment

Without giving away most of the plot...

Nerdy HS senior gets fake Hawaii DL. His 2 friends are excited because they promised babes that they'd buy the alcohol for a party, until they see said fake Hawaii DL and kid only has one name:

McLovin

Better shot of the ID is here: http://hensly.blogspot.com/2007/09/mclovin.html

"McLovin" is 25 years old, not 21, because "everyone underage has fake IDs that say they're 21." He meets up with some rogue cops who scrutinize his ID, only to congratulate him on being an Organ Donor. I saw them flip the DL over, and it didn't have the list of classifications in the back like the real ones do.

There are some Hawaii references in the movie, but nothing that really stood out, IMO.

I think a lot of [mainland] people got into the hype because we have a freaking RAINBOW on our drivers' licenses.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Thanks for that! I just wonder what kind of idiot would actually try to use this as a form of ID - you would have to be pretty desperate! Like derrrrrrr!!
        Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
        My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
          Thanks for that! I just wonder what kind of idiot would actually try to use this as a form of ID...
          To answer your question: an idiot.

What? You don't think Hawai'i have its share of doofuses?

I'm guessing the City & County of Honolulu is not happy with the fake plastic ID promotion.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I drove straight to Wal-Mart after work yesterday hoping to pick up this "Special Edition," as I loved the movie and also suspected the controversy might make them a hot property.

I was more right than I'd hoped. They pulled them from shelves until they could figure out what to do. D'oh!

May have to ask someone on the mainland to pick this up for me, if more reasonable minds don't prevail here. That is, if this doesn't snowball into a national recall or something. Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              May have to ask someone on the mainland to pick this up for me, if more reasonable minds don't prevail here. That is, if this doesn't snowball into a national recall or something. Sheesh.
              It might, especially if liquor store owners never heard nor even seen the film Superbad.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                It might, especially if liquor store owners never heard nor even seen the film Superbad.
                Along my cross-country adventure last summer, upon being carded a lot of store owners admitted that they had never seen a real Hawaii ID before.

It's easy for us to call IDIOT! on whoever decides to use the Superbad ID -- but I'm guessing it won't be to difficult if someone tried to use it at a store in Podunkville, USA.
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

eBay has a few at reasonable prices.
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Looks like that's the way to go. KITV reported tonight that Wal-Mart is recalling them nationally. I have an order pending at WalMart.com, but suspect it'll be killed. I also asked friends on the mainland to keep an eye out for me (since it was a hot seller and was on shelves for at least two days). I nabbed one on eBay just now for about $30 (after overpriced shipping). Tread carefully, though... at least one of the listings were "advance" listings, in anticipation of the 12/4 release, meaning they don't necessarily have the item in their lucky little hands.

Comment

I am curious, does the HAwaii IDS have your information striped in the back?
                      Here in California there is such a thing.
                      Besides not everyone looks like that actor on the faked ID and age mentioned and ya really have to be a boob to assume that your name is really McLovin and not seeing or familiar with movie as a requirement.

Comment

What I found funny was an encounter where my valid HI ID was considered fake. I had the one that just preceded the version with the barcode on the front (it listed your SSN as your license #). I went to a dance club I frequented and was greeted by a bouncer I didn't see before. He kept looking at the ID and asked me, "Is this real?" Finally, a bouncer I did know came out by chance and it got all cleared up.

And even if it doesn't add more authenticity to the ID, I had the note in red "Under 21 until xx/xx/xxxx" on it (I was 22 at the time, the ID just had a long expiry date).

Is there another updated version than the one with the barcode in front? I know a co-worker of mine has a driver license that looks different than what I have.

Wasn't there a shop in Waikiki that made fake ID's? It was a novelty shop but I heard the ID's looked pretty authentic.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                          I am curious, does the HAwaii IDS have your information striped in the back?
                          Here in California there is such a thing.
                          Besides not everyone looks like that actor on the faked ID and age mentioned and ya really have to be a boob to assume that your name is really McLovin and not seeing or familiar with movie as a requirement.
                          What's wrong with "McLovin"?

It's not like somebody told Mr. Zappa he can't name one of their kids "Moon Unit."

Comment

You know sometimes fake ID's work.

For example, I went to a museum on the mainland and Monday was free with a state ID. The women checking it was a fat, lazy, slob. So I though go for it. I held my Hawaii drivers licence and moved and rotated it back and forth so it would me harder to see that it looks NOTHING like that state's ID. It worked, she never really focused on looking at it and waved me in. Sweet!!!! , saved $20 and had a good laugh to go right along with it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaFerret View Post
                              Is there another updated version than the one with the barcode in front? I know a co-worker of mine has a driver license that looks different than what I have.
                              Yeah, the newer driver licenses look a little different (from the HPD's website):

There are either two sides or two versions of the Superbad cards: one says "Fogell" and the other says "McLovin." Here's the Fogell version:

Notice how the birthdate is June 3, 1990. At first, I thought that that alone would hinder minors from trying to use it to buy cigarettes or alcohol, but I guess if someone had the tools, know-how, and time to alter it to another birth year, they could. *shrugs* Or I guess as AlohaKine mentioned, if the person checking it wasn't paying attention, it would work!

On a random note: I actually know a couple of people who lived on Momona Place in Wai'anae!
                              Last edited by liberty; December 7, 2007, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X