The Golden Compass controversy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Golden Compass controversy

The Golden Compass is attracting controversy but Yahoo is letting you view the first 5 minutes of the movie: http://www.yahoo.com

Christian groups are calling the film "anti-religious" as it is based on a book by a confirmed agnostic. The Catholic league is denouncing the film and 60 out of 3,000 cinemas are refusing to screen it.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/entertai...igionusbritain

The controversy just makes me want to see it even more!
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: The Golden Compass controversy

I'm intrigue and yet I'm Catholic.

What's even more intriguing, Nicole Kidman (formerly Scientologist) is Catholic and she's in the film.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

People who want to know what reasonable, thoughtful Evangelical Christians think about the so-called controversy might check this out:
      Fear Not the Compass (Christianity Today).

Also, some commentary from the same publication.

a short excerpt from the first link:
      Pullman is an amazing storyteller, with one of the most formidable imaginations since J.R.R. Tolkien himself. I was enthralled by The Golden Compass when I first read it: Colorful characters, fanciful creatures, a strong sense of mystery, and a compelling story about young and vulnerable characters being oppressed and abused by adults.

In the second and third book, when those cold-hearted and abusive adults turn out to be the good guys, exploiting children in their quest to destroy God, my feelings about the story changed. As Pullman's agenda became more important, my favorite characters began to lose their personality and color. So, we must take into account that, beneath the formidable imagination, there is a dagger concealed within this extravagant overcoat—and the intentions of the fellow preparing to use that dagger.

It's interesting that a man of such extraordinary imagination would have so little regard for the storytellers whose work his style resembles. Pullman scoffs at the stories of Tolkien and Lewis. He says, "The Lord of the Rings is just not interesting psychologically; there's nothing about people in it." And his scorn for Lewis's fantasy world has been widely documented. Pullman has said, "I hate the Narnia books. I hate them with a deep and bitter passion, with their view of childhood as a golden age from which sexuality and adulthood are a falling away." He has called the series "one of the most ugly and poisonous things" he's ever read.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
        The controversy just makes me want to see it even more!
        This was my exact response. I had no interest in the film at all, and hadn't even heard of it, until grumblings emerged about its "atheistic" undertones. Now, I'm not sure I'm even really curious about the film... but I feel like tossing a few bucks at the studio to counter the ridiculous notion that non-believers have no business making movies. Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          ...to counter the ridiculous notion that non-believers have no business making movies. Or something.
          I don't think that's what people are saying. As ridiculous as some of this "controversy" is, I've never heard anyone saying that.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I don't know... Pullman spitting all over his forebears that have nurtured the fantasy fiction genre to life is a bit disconcerting. If true, of course. I never heard of him or his works until the movie was announced.

However, I'm a sucker for sci-fi/fantasy. I might check it out, but unlike Lord of the Rings (I never read LoTR until I heard they were making a movie trilogy), I doubt I'll buy his books.

In terms of the whole religious controversy, it doesn't surprise me that it would come up. I mean, nutjobs called the Harry Potter series pro-satanism and coercing our youth to witchcraft! Those people shouldn't procreate as they're just propagating stupidity. Responsible parents (and individuals) can decide for themselves whether or not to let their children watch the movie or read the books. If a child's religious view is changed by it, the problem doesn't lie in the story, but in the family.

I'd watch the movie for the storyline, the effects and whatever entertainment value they bring; not to change my religious viewpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by DaFerret View Post
              I mean, nutjobs called the Harry Potter series pro-satanism and coercing our youth to witchcraft!
              In all the fuss about Harry, I never heard anyone say the books were "coercing" youth into doing anything. I'm being particular here because if we misrepresent what the critics and protesters are saying in making our point, we are as guilty of misleading propaganda as they are.

Those people shouldn't procreate as they're just propagating stupidity. Responsible parents (and individuals) can decide for themselves whether or not to let their children watch the movie or read the books. If a child's religious view is changed by it, the problem doesn't lie in the story, but in the family.
              While I agree with the last two sentences here, isn't the first sentence expressing the same intolerance you believe the "nutjobs" are guilty of? What I don't understand is why there can't be room for differences of opinion. I do not agree with the anti-Harry backlash; nor do I agree with the anti-Pullman backlash, though I have not read the books. But those people have to be allowed to express their positions just as you have to be allowed to express yours.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I don't see anyone saying anyone can't express an opinion. I am certainly saying that the practical core of their opinion -- "Don't see this movie!" -- is motivation, for me, to take action to counter it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  I don't see anyone saying anyone can't express an opinion. I am certainly saying that the practical core of their opinion -- "Don't see this movie!" -- is motivation, for me, to take action to counter it.
                  I'm with you there, although it looks like a pretty crappy movie to me, so I'd have to be REALLY annoyed, and in this case I guess I'm not.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    In all the fuss about Harry, I never heard anyone say the books were "coercing" youth into doing anything. I'm being particular here because if we misrepresent what the critics and protesters are saying in making our point, we are as guilty of misleading propaganda as they are.
                    Coerce may be the wrong word to use. I am certain I've seen at least "promote". I'll search and verify and correct my post.

While I agree with the last two sentences here, isn't the first sentence expressing the same intolerance you believe the "nutjobs" are guilty of? What I don't understand is why there can't be room for differences of opinion. I do not agree with the anti-Harry backlash; nor do I agree with the anti-Pullman backlash, though I have not read the books. But those people have to be allowed to express their positions just as you have to be allowed to express yours.
                    I think there's a world of difference between actively trying to get something barred from view, which removes anyone's opportunity to express their opinions on the subject matter, and my rant that certain people shouldn't have children. Of course, I wouldn't think of stopping anyone from procreating (I don't have that right), but I should have the right to express my feelings that the world would be a better place without them. Is it negative and essentially wortheless to the discussion? I'll admit it is. If it'll remove any tangents from the topic at hand, I'll edit that bit out.

*added*
                    Bah, can't edit the previous message. I'll put it here...

"I mean, nutjobs called the Harry Potter series pro-satanism and claimed it to embrace/promote/encourage/seduce/lure our youth to witchcraft!"

Edited to replace "coerce" with "embrace/promote/encourage/seduce/lure". One mention of coerce isn't enough as it's not by an "Anti-Harry." However the possibility that one does say the Harry Potter books "coerce", there are many more results for the other words.
                    Last edited by DaFerret; December 6, 2007, 09:35 AM.

Comment

It's dumb that cinemas make a deal about agnostic writers/producers or whatever, but they'll screen movies with satanic scenes/themes.

Imagine if these people were consistent--we wouldn't have enjoyed "Star Wars".
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                        Imagine if these people were consistent--we wouldn't have enjoyed "Star Wars".
                        Don't recall any controversy with Star Wars by any fundemantal religious group.

Comment

In the piece I link above, the author mentions that there was some discussion about Buddhism and The Empire Strikes Back.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, own every movie on DVD as well as the 3 Lord of the Rings movies and the Chronicles of Narnia movie.

I am always on the lookout for a good sci-fi fantasy movie that I can escape to and so far from what I have seen, The Golden Compass looks like one of the few movies that I will lay some bucks out for to see on the big screen in digital dolby sound.

I don't much care for any of the controversy that may surround the movie, all I am looking for is an escapist, sci-fi fantasy entertainment that hopefully has a good storyline which sets me up for a sequel that I can catch in a few years after this. Sci-fi fantasy films are few these days.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Yeah, we genre fans always get the shaft. Or worse. Have a sci-fi film starring Tom Cruise.

Comment

Working...
                              X