Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Golden Compass controversy

Originally posted by Random View Post
    You make it sound like we love warmongering.
    Yes, which illustrates my point exactly (and I guess that's what you're saying, but I'm not sure), not to mention the point of the writer whose article I link above. The Christian church I know is filled with people who have a genuine, sincere concern for others, but that's not the church Pullman condemns in his trilogy -- rather, he focuses on a few horrendous historical church-related actions.

Which is not to say I oppose the film; I am merely offering a more reasoned approach to disagreement with a film's message than is being offered by some of the people who are getting media attention. And for that matter, a more reasoned approach than is being offered by those quick to group the "nutjobs" in with the rest of us.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      Yes, which illustrates my point exactly (and I guess that's what you're saying, but I'm not sure), not to mention the point of the writer whose article I link above. The Christian church I know is filled with people who have a genuine, sincere concern for others, but that's not the church Pullman condemns in his trilogy -- rather, he focuses on a few horrendous historical church-related actions.
      So, you think the author is trying to put the church in a bad light by spinning this into a fantasy story?

Could the same be said of The Da Vinci Code?

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      Which is not to say I oppose the film; I am merely offering a more reasoned approach to disagreement with a film's message than is being offered by some of the people who are getting media attention. And for that matter, a more reasoned approach than is being offered by those quick to group the "nutjobs" in with the rest of us.
      I know I should be angry because I'm Catholic ... lapsed Catholic, per se.

But to me, it's just a piece of fictionalized entertainment. I don't try to read between the lines to find faults or slights toward me. If it's blatant, then yeah, I'll call on it.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

So, you think the author is trying to put the church in a bad light by spinning this into a fantasy story?

Could the same be said of The Da Vinci Code?

I know I should be angry because I'm Catholic ... lapsed Catholic, per se.

But to me, it's just a piece of fictionalized entertainment. I don't try to read between the lines to find faults or slights toward me. If it's blatant, then yeah, I'll call on it.
        Lucky ting you don't know my true kala, or what goes on in my head everyday. I make Lucifer look like a cub scout.

heheheh Hmmmm He speaks for himself.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

And for that matter, a more reasoned approach than is being offered by those quick to group the "nutjobs" in with the rest of us.
          As the first and only one, aside from you, to use the term "nutjobs", I hope you're not implying that I'm one of those quick to group the zealots (said "nutjobs") to those with religious beliefs. I'm not atheist so that'd be a little hypocritical on my part.

But to me, it's just a piece of fictionalized entertainment.
          Quoted For Truth.

The message is only as powerful as the people who believe in it. Responsible and good parents/guardians/etc. will teach the proper values to their children. If actual concern for this film and any possible effect it may have on a child's religious viewpoint exists, the responsible parent/guardian/etc. should be able to explain it and help reaffirm the child's beliefs. If they are able to be cognizant to the differring opinions on religion, then they may (not necessarily, but still) be mature enough to make their own decision on how to take the message.

Who's wrong? The religious zealots, I dubbed "nutjobs", who want to burn books and say how the source material is the devil's work? Or the people that lump everyone with a religious belief into the zealots/"nutjobs" circle?

I say both.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Hawksmoor View Post
            Oh, come on, he's adorable in the movie. Look at that little munster take on a whole battalion of marines on an aircraft carrier! He just aims to misbehave and bubbles masculinity, a rolemodel for all young men everywhere.
            Vin will always be XXX in my mind but I feel you. Btw I saw 300 and enjoyed it greatly. Little did I know until I read the reviews that I apparently am gay. Please don't tell my wife. She thought she was the gay half of the couple.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
              Vin will always be XXX in my mind but I feel you. Btw I saw 300 and enjoyed it greatly. Little did I know until I read the reviews that I apparently am gay. Please don't tell my wife. She thought she was the gay half of the couple.
              I have tears of laughter streaming down my face.

My husband thought Transformers was profound. He wants to be Optimus Prime.

I bought 300 the day it came out and it is the only dvd I carry around in my laptop bag. The only way you would be gay for digging 300 is if you wanted Xerxes to win. That cat was hard on the eyes.

pax

Comment

"Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfill them." Sounds unequivocal to my ears. Christ apparently believed he was the fulfillment of Jewish law and prophecy.
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                  I bought 300 the day it came out and it is the only dvd I carry around in my laptop bag. The only way you would be gay for digging 300 is if you wanted Xerxes to win. That cat was hard on the eyes.
                  Funny sistah, I bought it the day it came out as well. The only DVD I've ever paid full list for. It's a thing of beauty beginning to end. Practically ever scene is like a painting. Well I guess it actually is.

My son's gaga for O.P. after seeing "Transformers" too.

Not too late for Kalikimaka: http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-A.../dp/B000VYQ5WC
                  Last edited by sinjin; December 11, 2007, 12:39 PM.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

dude my husband has a 21 inch neck (seriously). Bully ain't fitting into one of those. He wants to fit into the other OP costume: the Peterbuilt.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                      heheheh Hmmmm He speaks for himself.
                      Yeah, we speak as one.
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Yeah, we speak as one.
                        I don't think so.

I want to meet you in person.

I'll treat you to dinner....or you can be my dinner.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

joke/NOT.

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I watched the Golden Compass over the weekend and thought it was lame! Such a pity because I like Nicole Kidman and think it could have been a good movie. I am intrigued enough to read the books now but honestly, the movie is a waste of time and money!

It was the highest grossing movie opening weekend but it's already been deemed a flop in terms of how much it cost to make. It's poor Nicole's 8th flop in a row...
                          Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                            I watched the Golden Compass over the weekend and thought it was lame! Such a pity because I like Nicole Kidman and think it could have been a good movie. I am intrigued enough to read the books now but honestly, the movie is a waste of time and money!
                            Audiences agree with you, kiwidiva. Golden Compass may have led the box office last week, but got off to a terrible start this week bringing in only $2.6 mil on Friday. Tanking, sinking and gone. I am Legend ($29.6 mil Friday) and The Chipmunks ($13.2 mil Friday) both walloped the broken compass. There are predictions that I am Legend will break all December opening records including the nearly $73 mil that Return of the the King opened with in 2003. Did anyone see I am Legend yet???

Comment

The holiday movie rush generally makes it impossible for any film, except the most heavily marketed pre-ordained "blockbuster" (such as the titles you've called out), to hold its position in the top ten list for long. I'd not look at that as a measure of quality, neccessarily. There's always a lot of churn.

Alas, I too have heard that the debate about this film is generally more entertaining than the film itself. Meaning that the controversy probably helped more than it hurt.

We'll probably catch this on DVD. There are too many other good films we want to see in theaters (and, as usual, probably won't!).

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                                The holiday movie rush generally makes it impossible for any film, except the most heavily marketed pre-ordained "blockbuster" (such as the titles you've called out), to hold its position in the top ten list for long. I'd not look at that as a measure of quality, neccessarily. There's always a lot of churn.

Alas, I too have heard that the debate about this film is generally more entertaining than the film itself. Meaning that the controversy probably helped more than it hurt.

We'll probably catch this on DVD. There are too many other good films we want to see in theaters (and, as usual, probably won't!).
                                I'm with you on this. At first I thought it would be a good choice to see in the theaters and then I started checking around with the critics/bloggers who have similar tastes and decided to wait for the DVD.

Comment

Working...
                                X