Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Golden Compass controversy

Originally posted by Random View Post
    Don't recall any controversy with Star Wars by any fundemantal religious group.
    there wasn't any organized noise, but there were outbursts about The Force being pagan and or blasphemous in nature.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
      there wasn't any organized noise, but there were outbursts about The Force being pagan and or blasphemous in nature.

If it's not connected to any religion, they cry foul of being pagan.

You can't win with these judgmental religious groups.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Controversy?

Yeah, i remember reading an essay online somewhere about that. The Golden Compass was being compared to the Da Vinci Code. All i understood was that the big Church was "evil", but didn't start that wayand gots twisted after how many thousands of years.

But i am certain for one thing, i am not making money off this. If i could make up some shit and sell it off as pseudo science, i could make money off the masses too.

Sigh. The Golden Compass just ain't the Wizard of Oz. At least with Dorothy i could feel sympathy for her. There is no way for me to relate in any possible way to the little brat in the movie. 'cause she gots magical flying ice witches wizzing around her head to protect her from the Stalin wannabes. Charging polarbears too.

Oooh, look at the special effects and the magic CGI! Kids love this crap and they eat it up like no tommorrow.

Hollywood can't make a decent movie anyway. My 3 cents.

Comment

The books have been hovering on the margin of my attention for long enough for me to put them on my reading list. Now, hearing that they perhaps attack religious doctrines of willful ignorance/hypocrisy (an evil too common) moves them up near the top.
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Hawksmoor View Post
            Sigh. The Golden Compass just ain't the Wizard of Oz. At least with Dorothy i could feel sympathy for her. There is no way for me to relate in any possible way to the little brat in the movie. 'cause she gots magical flying ice witches wizzing around her head to protect her from the Stalin wannabes. Charging polarbears too.

Oooh, look at the special effects and the magic CGI! Kids love this crap and they eat it up like no tommorrow.

Hollywood can't make a decent movie anyway. My 3 cents.
            Isn't The Wizard of Oz a Hollywood film?

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
              The books have been hovering on the margin of my attention for long enough for me to put them on my reading list. Now, hearing that they perhaps attack religious doctrines of willful ignorance/hypocrisy (an evil too common) moves them up near the top.
              Just so you know, based on the summaries I've read, it seems that it isn't Christian doctrine that is attacked, but the behavior of the church. Pullman doesn't seem to make the distinction, but it sounds like it's there.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Isn't The Wizard of Oz a Hollywood film?
                Yeah, but what i meant was consumerism didn't consume the people that produced these films. Imagine someone sticking Paris Hilton and Tila Tequila into the "OZ" for a re-imagined modern film of our favorite characters following the golden brick road.

There wasn't a need for a Matrix 2 and 3 to make a trilogy. The first film was a stand alone movie, it didn't need a sequel. I didn't want a sequel in the first place because i already liked what i saw. The ending was open ended and huge with possibilities that fans of the film wanted to explore and daydream instead of being force fed pre-manufactured thought-up for the sake of a sequel.

The Lord of the Rings was already written a long time ago and wasn't exactly perfect but good enough to introduce people into buying republished versions of the series.

"Star Wars Collectors Edition with 10 more minutes of added never before seen footage with Star Wars Episode 3 which also has behind the scenes interviews. Also your very own main character figurines: Anakin Skywalker and Queen Amidala. All the other support characters not included."

I'm sick of them putting that up on tv. I hate Star Wars, i hate the whole series now. I rather watch Ice Cube in XXX2: State of the Union than any of the Star Wars episodes!

1939 film produced by Mervyn LeRoy

MGM (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) video and Warner Bros. via MGM.

Comment

...I rather watch Ice Cube in XXX2: State of the Union than any of the Star Wars episodes!
                  You'll forgive me if I don't trust your take on what a "good" movie is then.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Frankly, Christian doctrine is entirely a creation/interpretation of the church[es]. The teaching of Christ are Jewish.
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I disagree, but you have a good point. I mean, if it can be said that United States doctrine is "all men are endowed...with certain unalienable rights, and among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," did that tenet create the nation, or did the nation create the tenet?

Either way, it's not impossible to separate doctrine from practice. Our doctrine remains the "life...liberty...pursuit..." thing, but our practice is, among other things, concentration camps, eavesdropping on citizens without probable cause, and war.

People who hate America because of what some Americans have done don't necessarily hate America because they don't know it. In the same way, if a writer condemns the church, he is not necessarily condemning the doctrine, especially if all he knows of the doctrine is what he sees from the church.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

adding in my rant along Jack's:

<Linda Hamilton's voice>

Everything is going to die because of The Machine

</Linda>

Everything= a damned good series that should have ended after T2, especially since they couldn't get that kid to be sober enough to finish the role as John Connor, and the panty-boy that they *did* choose was precisely that, a panty-boy. T3 should not have been made if they wouldn't get a ptsd-tough ass to play John Connor. In actuality, with all of Ed Furlong's problems, he might have been in the most perfect head space to play John as an adult. He already looked like sh*t at that time--fine typecasting, I'd say. Instead, they get ((waves hand in air)) what'shisforgettableface to play some dude that isn't in no way no how nuh-uh gonna be able to fight off anything (many many more bad words here). Hold my hair cause I'm gonna hurl just thinking about it!

Machine=despicable EP vermin who think there's money to be made by a new generation who have *no clue* on what the Terminator movies meant to us GenXers. No clue!

T1 was the Machine's story
                        T2 was Sarah's story (and one of the finest ever put on celluloid)
                        T3 should have been John's story (enter additional swear words about botched-upedness here).

All other t movies are just little t movies. t for "thank you for your money".

((cat hiss))

pax

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                          You'll forgive me if I don't trust your take on what a "good" movie is then.
                          Oh, come on, he's adorable in the movie. Look at that little munster take on a whole battalion of marines on an aircraft carrier! He just aims to misbehave and bubbles masculinity, a rolemodel for all young men everywhere.

I apologize to everyone here for my bad taste in movies!

I can feel the money slowly being picked out of my pockets everytime i past the theater...why can't Old Navy put zippers on thier cargo pants!? I never get what i want anymore! Life just hands me lemons and i try to turn them into apples. Arghhhhhhh!

Comment

Yeah, but what i meant was consumerism didn't consume the people that produced these films. Imagine someone sticking Paris Hilton and Tila Tequila into the "OZ" for a re-imagined modern film of our favorite characters following the golden brick road.
                            Like they stick Michael Jackson and Diana Ross in The Wiz?

There wasn't a need for a Matrix 2 and 3 to make a trilogy. The first film was a stand alone movie, it didn't need a sequel. I didn't want a sequel in the first place because i already liked what i saw. The ending was open ended and huge with possibilities that fans of the film wanted to explore and daydream instead of being force fed pre-manufactured thought-up for the sake of a sequel.
                            Meh. In hindsight, it was probably not a good idea, but after the success of The Matrix there were many a cry of sequels at that time.

The same could be said of The Pirates of the Caribbeans.

The Lord of the Rings was already written a long time ago and wasn't exactly perfect but good enough to introduce people into buying republished versions of the series.
                            Should it be perfect? It was just Peter Jackson's adaptation of the book, and it was a good one. I'm sure we all have our own motion picture adaptation when we read Tolkiens book and they tend to be some far better than the ones put on films anyway.

"Star Wars Collectors Edition with 10 more minutes of added never before seen footage with Star Wars Episode 3 which also has behind the scenes interviews. Also your very own main character figurines: Anakin Skywalker and Queen Amidala. All the other support characters not included."

I'm sick of them putting that up on tv. I hate Star Wars, i hate the whole series now. I rather watch Ice Cube in XXX2: State of the Union than any of the Star Wars episodes!
                            ???

. o O (Someone forgot to take his meds today)

Gee, if you don't want all those extras buy those UMDs for PSPs.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              Either way, it's not impossible to separate doctrine from practice. Our doctrine remains the "life...liberty...pursuit..." thing, but our practice is, among other things, concentration camps, eavesdropping on citizens without probable cause, and war.
                              You make it sound like we love warmongering.

*flashes a big smile and glows like one Happy Klingon*

Comment

Like they stick Michael Jackson and Diana Ross in The Wiz?
                                At least MJ and DR have talent and actually became famous for doing something other than simply existing.

Comment

Working...
                                X