Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CompUSA sold - more closures on the way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CompUSA sold - more closures on the way?

I wanna Trader Joe's on Ala Moana. Sure wish that company realized that so many of us would be willing to pay extra for their products. We're already used to it with other retailers.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      I wanna Trader Joe's on Ala Moana. Sure wish that company realized that so many of us would be willing to pay extra for their products. We're already used to it with other retailers.
      Speak for yourself. I'm a cheap SOB.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I just came back from CompUSA to use the gift card I got last Christmas. There was a long line at the register. They re-configured the check-outs so that there's only one line. I guess there were a lot of people like me who wanted to use their gift card before it's too late.

I'd better not get a CompUSA gift card this Christmas!

Comment

I asked NOE to visit the store, and was told the "true" liquidation sales will begin next week. Anyone see otherwise? Great, next week, when we'll ALL be on Maui. But, there's always my Mom who will be looking for some tech deals to add to her gadget goodies.
          ___
          "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
            I asked NOE to visit the store, and was told the "true" liquidation sales will begin next week.
            Really?

Hmm. I could use a bigger external HD.

Comment

Well, crud. Say what you like about CompUSA's issues (like the price on USB cables), they carry more computer stuff then Office Max, Office Depot, Best Buy and Circuit City. Probably more then all of them combined.

I'm really, really hoping for a Frys.

I can think of two businesses that must be kinda worried right now - the hot dog place in the front and Personal Touch Computers across the street.

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              I like to see the 99 cent store come over. Sure would help with cost of living.
              All the 99¢ stores I've seen are junk. Bring over a 100 Yen store - those rock! (That's where I bought my USB cables.)

Comment

Well, crud. Say what you like about CompUSA's issues (like the price on USB cables), they carry more computer stuff then Office Max, Office Depot, Best Buy and Circuit City. Probably more then all of them combined.

I'm really, really hoping for a Frys.
                I agree. We really need a "computer stuff" shop.

I suppose we still have Personal Touch and that other one (what was the company Byteware changed to and do they still deal with computers?). But, they may not have as much stuff to choose from.

A Frys, or local equivalent, would be so awesome. While it's convenient to buy stuff online, like from newegg or someplace, I'm usually not patient enough to wait for delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post

I can think of two businesses that must be kinda worried right now - the hot dog place in the front and Personal Touch Computers across the street.
                  huh? i must be missing something. i'd think personal touch is going to have more business now that compusa is on its way out. no?
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I always brought my pc in to Compu USA for repairs as well.

The CompUSA location at Pearl Highlands I dont think has been there more than a year, too bad for all of the employees getting this bad pink slip news around the holidays.

I do not know where I will go buy blank DVD's now, as I think the other stores in town that do sell them have very little to offer and not very good sale prices on them either.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                      huh? i must be missing something. i'd think personal touch is going to have more business now that compusa is on its way out. no?
                      Maybe a difference in perspective?

For me, before the "We Tow" policy came in, I'd sometimes walk into Personal Touch and gauge prices between CompUSA parts and what PT had. I don't remember much about fully built computer suites there, but I know they had plenty of bare bones computers (tower, mobo, processor, memory). Many times the bare bones stuff at PT was a better deal than what I'd get buying the parts separately from CompUSA. I don't know how they've progressed nowadays, but if they don't advertise [many] fully built computers, I could see how their business would be negatively impacted by CompUSA closing down as the run-of-the-mill consumer may not know about Personal Touch and would only see them when parking at CompUSA.

For those kinds of computer shoppers, Best Buy and Circuit City could satiate their needs, which means no one would stumble upon Personal Touch.

Comment

My motherboard died.
                        The good news is that my Buddy, that built my 'puter a few years ago was here!
                        He said "We have the technology" anyways, it's far better than before.

Thanks to CompUSA...
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Just speculating off-the-cuff, but could it be because it was first and foremost a computer store?

Best Buy and Circuit City are pretty much the same (consumer electronics), although CC (the only store in Hawai'i) did stopped selling large appliances.

The hot dog vendor could always move closer to Restaurant Row, maybe closer to the bus stop.

PTC could be the only sole computer retailer in that area, though it took me some time to find them.

Who knows? The trouble at Alakea may force Whole Food to reconsider a new location ... unless CompUSA is already sitting over a burial ground.

Comment

One benefit PT had from CompUSA (as well as most other small computer outfits) was that after the sale was done, it was these small boutique computer shops that took in a lot of repair or repair parts for those who felt the burn from CompUSA.

Granted more department stores started offering cheap computers (ie WalMart, Costco and others) so the demand for computer repair and/or replacement will always be in demand as long as those stores that sell cheap computers continue to pump them out.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                              Best Buy and Circuit City are pretty much the same (consumer electronics), although CC (the only store in Hawai'i) did stopped selling large appliances.
                              Circuit City jumped out of the appliance business a couple years back. Around 2000 as I remember.

Comment

oh, i see what you mean. good point. remember the old costco in the salt lake area? i'd suspect that the small businesses nearby lost a lot of business after the move...

Originally posted by DaFerret View Post
                                Maybe a difference in perspective?

For me, before the "We Tow" policy came in, I'd sometimes walk into Personal Touch and gauge prices between CompUSA parts and what PT had. I don't remember much about fully built computer suites there, but I know they had plenty of bare bones computers (tower, mobo, processor, memory). Many times the bare bones stuff at PT was a better deal than what I'd get buying the parts separately from CompUSA. I don't know how they've progressed nowadays, but if they don't advertise [many] fully built computers, I could see how their business would be negatively impacted by CompUSA closing down as the run-of-the-mill consumer may not know about Personal Touch and would only see them when parking at CompUSA.

For those kinds of computer shoppers, Best Buy and Circuit City could satiate their needs, which means no one would stumble upon Personal Touch.
                                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                                X