Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CompUSA sold - more closures on the way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CompUSA sold - more closures on the way?

We knew it was coming, after CompUSA closed more than half its stores back in the springtime.

CompUSA, the computer and gadget retailer controlled by Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, has been sold to a restructuring and investment firm that will close stores and sell some company assets.

http://www.reuters.com/article/merge...34134020071208

Re: CompUSA sold - more closures on the way?

So the Honolulu store will be closing? That is the bummer. It is primarily the place I buy blank DVD's. I heard Circuit City has never done well financially either so who knows what will happen. I guess it will be Best Buy for me based on a lack of choices and I dont like the prices and few blank DVD's at that store too.

When will Target be opening? I guess we need it sooner than thought.

Aj

Comment

Gee, and not so long ago when CompUSA opened in Honolulu, did Computer City by Alakea closed down.

Hmm. Maybe Target should get first dib on the CompUSA building and lot near Restaurant Row.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

PC World is saying:

Gordon Brothers Group LLC is discussing with different parties the sale of stores in key retail markets and CompUSA's other assets, including the Internet retail unit CompUSA.com and technical-support-services business CompUSA TechPro.

The retail stores that don't sell will be shut down, CompUSA said in a statement. The 103 stores will remain open during the holiday shopping season and provide heavy discounts on products.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...s/article.html
        Considering that the Honolulu store is in such a prime location, my guess is that it would be one of the ones that is sold rather than being shut down. Maybe some other computer retailer will buy it and just replace the sign out front. Fry's, are you listening??

Comment

When's the big clearance sale?

(Man, I'm such an unsympathetic vulture)

Comment

I'm gonna' hit-up some investors and re-open either a KRESS, CORNETS, WOOLWORTHS, or GEMS at the Ala Moana Blvd. CompUSA location.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

On the Advertiser's site, this story says:
              Buyer of CompUSA plans to close or sell all 103 stores

Dallas-based CompUSA, which has two Hawai'i stores, has been acquired by an advisory and restructuring firm that plans to close or sell all of the retailer's 103 stores after the holiday season.
              CompUSA said all stores will remain open and staffed during the holiday shopping season, and will offer special store closing sales on merchandise.

The computer and electronics chain was acquired by an affiliate of Gordon Brothers Group LLC for an undisclosed price. The liquidation plan follows a history of financial difficulties for CompUSA, which earlier this year closed 126 stores and attempted to restructure operations with management changes and a $440 million cash infusion.
              Maybe someone ought to turn that location into a parking lot.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Nah. Gotta have something over there for me to browse or buy before and after I watch the movies at Hollywood Theater on Restaurant Row.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  Nah. Gotta have something over there for me to browse or buy before and after I watch the movies at Hollywood Theater on Restaurant Row.
                  Okay, okay. A red and white Leonard's Malasadas truck.
                  In the parking lot.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Okay, okay. A red and white Leonard's Malasadas truck.
                    In the parking lot.
                    I know you want a full-blown lung cancer before you can crawl (seen your avatar). I want to live 30 more years without my arteries explodes in several different places.

Comment

Looks like the two Hawaii stores will be liquidated and closed down eventually. I like to see the 99 cent store come over. Sure would help with cost of living.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        I like to see the 99 cent store come over. Sure would help with cost of living.
                        Even they aren't really "99 Cents" any more. Half their stuff costs $1.49 now. What a rip-off! lol

That article HA article doesn't mention who owns the Ala Moana Blvd. property. Does CompUSA currently own it, or are they just leasing?

How about turning it into a church, like they did with the former Times Supermarket in Niu Valley Shopping Center.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                          Even they aren't really "99 Cents" any more. Half their stuff costs $1.49 now. What a rip-off! lol
                          Are we talking about the same chain, www.99only.com? They still sell at $0.99 and I find them to carry a lot of day to day useful stuff.

Comment

Towards the end of the CompUSA parking incident, Charlene Aldinger was looking far more like a spoiled, whiny child than a victim. With this announcement, though, it appears she got the last laugh.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

If Walgreens* want a bigger flagship store than the one in Keeaumoku, they better bid for the CompUSA building near Restaurant Row (or Waikele).

*Or Target.

*Or Big Lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X