Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CompUSA sold - more closures on the way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CompUSA sold - more closures on the way?

Speaking of the old Costco at Salt Lake isnt that the new TARGET location?

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      Circuit City jumped out of the appliance business a couple years back. Around 2000 as I remember.
      Couple or several?

Trust me, I noticed that already.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        One benefit PT had from CompUSA (as well as most other small computer outfits) was that after the sale was done, it was these small boutique computer shops that took in a lot of repair or repair parts for those who felt the burn from CompUSA.

Granted more department stores started offering cheap computers (ie WalMart, Costco and others) so the demand for computer repair and/or replacement will always be in demand as long as those stores that sell cheap computers continue to pump them out.
        Maybe PTC should consider moving closer to Wal-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by DaFerret View Post
          I suppose we still have Personal Touch and that other one (what was the company Byteware changed to and do they still deal with computers?).
          Byteware! I was trying to remember the name of the place before Pure Digital.

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
          huh? i must be missing something. I'd think personal touch is going to have more business now that compusa is on its way out. no?
          DaFerret nailed it - "mall effect" with CompUSA as an anchor tenet. One of CompUSA's weaknesses was that it was a "new" or "upgrade" store. There were times I just wanted to fix the machine. I just wanted to replace that 2-3 year old drive, not go for a 80GB one. If CompUSA didn't have it or seemed over priced, I'd walk over to PTC.

Originally posted by Random View Post
          Just speculating off-the-cuff, but could it be because it was first and foremost a computer store?
          Hmmmmmmm. Could be. I want a computer superstore, not a superstore with a computer section or a small computer store.

Comment

Every store has to watch out now...look what happened to Kaybee, and now...I found out tonite that this chinese restaurant in Salt Lake Shopping Ctr is shutting its doors tomorrow for good...the 12th. The thing I did not like about this restaurant is that when I patiently waited to be served...all the waitresses did was to look at me and walk past...they did not even bother to ask me or HARASS ME to order....so I simply walked out. I even went the other day to that store across CUSA and honestly felt they did not see $ bills sticking out of my wallet....I left. I would REALLY feel sorry for that hot dog stand thou....but I feel they could find another place....just like that steak plate kiosk at Marukai 99 nearby Ward ave and the other steak one at the lot that formerly was Cutter (rainbow??) Chevrolet. As for Byteware in former Kam Shopping Center...I dont think there is one except for Radio Shack, cuz one of the co-owners (I think he was the chubby chinese guy) died a few years ago per what I read in the obits. Das all fo now!!!!

Comment

CompUSA's opening discounts for those who are interested.

Comment

They're starting to send out termination letters to their employees, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly0040 View Post
                  Oh, is this going to be like Tower Records where they keep slashing the price until it's gone? A test of "buy now" or "let it ride and get it cheaper later - maybe".

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    Byteware! I was trying to remember the name of the place before Pure Digital.
                    You know, I keep going to their website so I can customize my dream PC. They still haven't change the "Coming Soon!" sign.

Hmmmmmmm. Could be. I want a computer superstore, not a superstore with a computer section or a small computer store.
                    Meh. I just want a store that don't make me feel dumb, even when I'm asking a dumb question.

Or who greets customer with "WHAT!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly0040 View Post
                      Wow. One of those rare times you can get discount off of major brand videogame consoles and handhelds.

Explain to me again why retailers won't discount hardwares like Nintendo Wii and Playstation 3?

Comment

Just got back from CompUSA in Kakaako. It was busy! Lots of buys to be had. Thanks Kelly0440 for posting the initial discount sheet. The whole office went there during lunch. Too bad the checkout line moved the fastest when they are going out of business. Kinda sad.

Comment

Explain to me again why retailers won't discount hardwares like Nintendo Wii and Playstation 3?
                          Because if you don't "play", you get your supply cut off. But stores that are liquidating their stock don't get a rat's rear about getting cut off.

Anyone who wants something had better get it quick. One employee said there was a warehouse on that mainland that would be sending stuff here and that the store had to last until March so they needed to have something to sell. No other employee would say they have any more stock coming and the news indicates that the store would close sometime in Feb.

But unless more stuff comes in, the good stuff will be gone by the end of this week it will be a long lingering death while they cut the prices until the public will take the leftovers off their hands. (Not unlike Tower Records in it's final days.)

Comment

Because if you don't "play", you get your supply cut off.
                            So, basically we customers are encouraging manufacturers to extort from local retailers.

Yeah, I'm buying Sansa instead of iPoop.

Comment

So, basically we customers are encouraging manufacturers to extort from local retailers.
                              If you mean because we demand a specific brand? I guess.

I'm not sure as I'd call it extorting from the retailer's point of view. They sell at full price so they get more profit per unit sold.

I wanted a 80GB Zune. They were out. Said they had plenty of iPods.
                              Last edited by GeckoGeek; December 16, 2007, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I wanted a 80GB Zune. They were out. Said they had plenty of iPods.

Nice jab there!

It's easy to sell out when M$ short supplies them on purpose.

But as to why retailers don't disc PS3's and Wii's, it makes no sense to disc them when they can't even keep them in stock. unless inventories were mounting large why discount?
                                website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                                blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Working...
                                X