Japanese lamp shades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese lamp shades

Hey, those Japanese-kine lamp shades made of paper and bamboo that lie flat and expand to a round shape — where can get? With Iida's gone, I'm flummoxed. Shirokiya's doesn't have them either.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Re: Japanese lamp shades

My wife says WalMart...of all places. Or go to Flora-dec or Ben Franklin or as you mentioned Shirokiya.

But really the authentic lamp shades are made of rice paper.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

You could also check the Marukai on Dillingham. They have a lot of home related items. If they don't have them in stock, they could order them for you.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
        You could also check the Marukai on Dillingham. They have a lot of home related items. If they don't have them in stock, they could order them for you.
        Hey Glossyp, how com your post has a time of 9:09 and it's only 8:30 yet?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          Hey Glossyp, how com your post has a time of 9:09 and it's only 8:30 yet?
          Looks like 8:09 to me...CW calls optometrist for appt...

Comment

Try Pier One Imports, that's where I got mine.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
              Looks like 8:09 to me...CW calls optometrist for appt...
              I think the server time was off as my system tray clock was dead on. Even my posts indicated a late time stamp.

Comment

Burl, City Mill stocks them. They're sold collapsed in clear packaging, and come in various diameters and length and shape. The spherical shape comes in small, medium and large sizes, and the tubular shape (rad' dude!) comes in 24" & 36" lengths. The light kit is sold separately, which is basically an incandescent light socket with a cord and switch, which clips to the wire frame inside. They run from $7.99 each and up (very reasonable). It's in the electrical department.

I'm thinking of incorporating that asian look into my place. Those paper shades create some nice light mood effects.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I actually found some at Shirokiya, by accident. They were well hidden. But they only had a few, and I got the last one of the medium size. I was actually shopping for a TV, as my old family one went toes-up last week. Shirokiya is always a good place to shop for Sony stuff.

Good to hear about City Mill. Marukai 99 just had some funky ones with advertising printed on them.

It's a snap to rig a pullchain incandescent socket with lamp cord and hang them almost anywhere. The light they put out is soft and even, and when the shade breaks down after a few years, it's cheap to replace. And they sway in the breeze. I like them very much. But I always got them at Iida.

Speaking of City Mill, there's a store that should have gone under when the big box hardware stores arrived, but they reinvented themselves and are filling a niche very nicely.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                    Speaking of City Mill, there's a store that should have gone under when the big box hardware stores arrived, but they reinvented themselves and are filling a niche very nicely.
                    Ah yes, I prefer them to the "big box" places. I can never find anything I'm looking for at a place like Home Depot, but find it quick and easy at City Mill. Plus the people at CM are a heckuva lot more helpful.

Comment

Working...
                    X