Closing of Patti's Chinese Kitchen at Ala Moana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Closing of Patti's Chinese Kitchen at Ala Moana

I talked to Patti today and told her about this discussion on Hawaii Threads. She had no idea. I'm sending her the link.

She said Patti's was not losing money and was not squeezed out by GGP or by competition.

Fewer locals patronize AMC, while Pearlridge is mostly local. She said there wasn't much growth potential at AMC, but that there was at PR.

I'd say that AMC has changed, and Patti's hasn't. They were once a great fit, but not so much anymore.

Patti said she thinks they were the first to offer a choice of items on a plate. Her dad got the idea from a place San Francisco. Her dad is now 93, and her mom, who pays the bills, is 88.

It was a tough decision she said. All agreed, except her son.

Patti's has lots of fans with fond memories, and a huge amount of goodwill build up over 40 years. I think they can transfer a lot of that to PR. Of course, it will never be the same, but what is?

Bob Sigall

Comment

You mean there really is a Patti?
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
        Yes, she's Calvin Chun's daughter, as is Lyn (as in Lyn's delicatessen).

I have a picture of them on page 241 of my book - The Companies we Keep.

Comment

I recently heard a Patti's RADIO AD for their Pearlridge location. Don't know about anyone else, but this is the first time I've heard a Patti's ad on the radio. I suppose they wanna' remind everyone, "Hey, we're still open at Pearlridge!"

IIRC, it was on 99.5FM the Jewel (Salem).

This current spot proclaims how delicious and extensive their food selections are (at Pearlridge), and that they also do catering. It also mentions their famous almond cookies? Some kind of cookie. I forget if there was any kind of jingle. I think just monologue.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
            In my younger days, I could easily gobble down a KING plate (rice/noodles with FOUR choices). Now, the PRINCESS plate suffices (starch + TWO choices).
            Even though "two choices" was enough for me I always got the three-choice Prince Plate because I could never get myself to ask for the "Princess Plate" .

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
              I have a picture of them on page 241 of my book - The Companies we Keep.
              I'm reading CWK2 right now. Good book. The only thing I've found so far is the description of Joe Moore's Evil Knievel impression doesn't match my memory.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                The boy and I were at AMC yesterday and even though I hate eating at the food court, we decided to brave the crowds so that we could get Patti's Ala Moana food one last time. The sign (mentioned earlier) notifying people about their closing was placed above the won ton counter, and it said somewhere in it that yes, there really is a Patti! It was also nice to see the pictures from throughout the years.

Creative-1 mentioned that fewer locals patronize AMC, and I have to agree with that. I live closer to Pearlridge anyway, and I try to avoid AMC at all costs.

Still, it felt good again to eat my Prince Plate at the Food Court. Patti's AMC holds a special place for the boy because that's where he ate for the first time when he first arrived in the Islands 11 years ago.

Mahalo, Chun family!
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Nooooooooooo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                    Creative-1 mentioned that fewer locals patronize AMC, and I have to agree with that. I live closer to Pearlridge anyway, and I try to avoid AMC at all costs.
                    I only go to AMC if I HAVE to be there. It's no longer the shopping center for locals anyway.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                      I only go to AMC if I HAVE to be there. It's no longer the shopping center for locals anyway.
                      I agree, AMC no longer has that local flair it once had b-4 everything changed. I was still in High School working at Farrell`s and I`d alway`s stop over at Patti`s for take out dinner. The food ono, generous portions, and the atmosphere of the Restaurant back then. I miss the roast duck over rice.
                      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                        I've come back home over the years and have seen the changes, but why did they make it out that way? When I was growing up, a trip to Ala Moana meant "family time", even if that meant hanging out in sections of stores I would never be at (i.e. Liberty House, some fabric store). At least when I reached a certain age, I could hang out at DJ's Sound City, the record section at Woolworth's, the book store, or whatever. More often than not, it would also mean a stop at Jon's to eat. I do understand that as far as business is concerned, stores come and go but the last time I was there, it just felt like "you don't belong here". It got to be too "high mucky-muck" as my mom would say

Comment

Originally posted by johmbolaya View Post
                          I've come back home over the years and have seen the changes, but why did they make it out that way? When I was growing up, a trip to Ala Moana meant "family time", even if that meant hanging out in sections of stores I would never be at (i.e. Liberty House, some fabric store). At least when I reached a certain age, I could hang out at DJ's Sound City, the record section at Woolworth's, the book store, or whatever. More often than not, it would also mean a stop at Jon's to eat. I do understand that as far as business is concerned, stores come and go but the last time I was there, it just felt like "you don't belong here". It got to be too "high mucky-muck" as my mom would say
                          Accentuated by the "Rodeo Drive" atmosphere surrounding a number of the stores there. All the "designer" types in the mid-mall area.

A lot of the "local" stores are but a distant memory. l

Comment

I've come back home over the years and have seen the changes, but why did they make it out that way?
                            Well, I assume it was to make a lot of money, but they did so at the cost of Honolulu's heart and soul.

gods, I miss Jon's.
                            "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

wow, living in Puna these days, I had completely forgotten about Patti's. I have fond memories of eating there in my younger days. I use to enjoy eating there after a good morning surf session at Ala Moana. Seems like all the old classic grind places are all closing down one by one. Chunky's, K.C. Drive In,. Plus so many more that I can't even think of....oh, oh, Tahitian Lani,. I imagine Rainbow's is still going strong. But what about St. Louis Dr. Inn? Is it still around? Use to love their chocolate shakes..best around in my opinion

Anyway, I'll miss Patti's...

Comment

I've come back home over the years and have seen the changes, but why did they make it out that way?
                                They're closer to Waikiki and they want to attract tourists' money. Heck, I don't even enter Waikiki unless I have to.
                                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                                X