The Smell Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Smell Thread

Have you heard of a trail called "Friendship Garden" in Kaneohe? Growing up, we used to go there every now and then. One thing that immediately hits you as you walk towards the entrance is this fragrant scent of what seems like pine and a very strong, sweet, floral aroma. It's really quite magical.

Way up past Tantalus on Round Top Drive you also catch a nice pine scent.

No denying that ocean spray smell as you drive along Oahu's North Shore. I so love that. Negative ions.

Also up Haleakala on Maui, you catch the snappy air combined with the minty scent of Eucalyptus.

Or walk along any access road in Waikiki and smell the wonderful aroma of hotel dumpsters. lol
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      While I understand the attraction of what the product does, that sounds like quite a powerful effect on the body's chemistry - and that's what bothers me. Regardless of how natural the ingredients, the results seem most unnatural. (Of course my mother when told about how great "natural" things are would reply "so is arsenic". )
      both my husband and I have taken this for years. It doesn't remove our smells, it makes the body smells "healthier". Eat a red hotdog and see what that does to our body odor for a good 24 hrs. This is the same thing-body mint, which is nothing more than condensed chlorophyll, is just food, like spirulina or spinach.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        Ooh yaah! Even today, whenever I arrive at the ground floor of Sears Ala Moana from the escalator, I swear I still smell it!
        I remember that too! Now why did the Sears Ala Moana popcorn smell so different from any other popcorn anywhere? I swear I've never smelled anything quite like it since.

Anyway, the smells I like: Christmas trees, fine tobacco, just about any kind of flower.

Smells I dislike: Urine, cow manure, pigs, and Joy by Patou. I know, it's the most expensive perfume in the world, but to me it just smells foul.

Weird smells I like: Gasoline, skunks, horse manure.
        "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Originally posted by modpirate View Post
          I remember that too! Now why did the Sears Ala Moana popcorn smell so different from any other popcorn anywhere? I swear I've never smelled anything quite like it since.
          I think it was a combination of smells such as new clothes, new appliances, rubber tires and POPCORN that got continuously recirculated in the store via the air conditioning system. lol

Gotta' love that "new clothes" smell. Almost as good as that "new car" smell. Or that "new shoes" smell. "New carpet" too! Also, the smell of a new plastic model kit (especially Tamiya) when you first open it. Like, what else? "New plastic"! lol

Back to flowers, I also love the the fragrance of a fresh Maile and Pakalana lei.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Love:

The smell that hits you in the face at HNL when you come down the concourse after you've been away - the smell that says "I'm home!"
            That forest-y smell when you hit the first cool spot as you cimb the Mount Ka'ala trail.
            My herb garden - mostly a rosemary smell, but with marjorum, mint, basil, garlic chives and lavender - wish I could bottle that fragrance.
            Toasted cheese!
            Coffee, bacon, the hot-sugar aroma of candy-making, fried onions, sage, cinnamon
            New-books
            Old books
            Crayons, play doh, chalk, paste - kid smells!

Icky stuff:
            I used to do monthly pest control services in New Orleans. The smell of bars that had been closed up overnight - stale smoke, beer, barf, sweat - always made me gag. And men's rooms - old urine and deodorant cakesand cheap aftershave - ugh!
            Bourbon Street. Take all of the above & add rubbish cans full of seafood leavings - not pleasant at all.
            There are pig, chicken and dairy farms near where I live. I don't notice them most of the time, but when the trades die *I*just*have*to*leave* Nasty, nasty, nasty!
            Dog barf

I use after-shower spritzer instead of perfume. I keep several different scents in my car. It goes on pretty strong, but fades to a background scent pretty quickly. See, I get really sweaty when I work (especially if the house I'm doing has a crawl space & I have to put on coveralls & knee/elbow pads) and I don't want to smell nasty when I meet someone at the next job, so I spritz when I'm a few minutes away from arriving. I also delude myself into believing that the spritzer and mint gum cover the ciggy smell, but probably not.
            Bloggin my way to the big time

http://skeetsstuff.skeeterbess.com/

Comment

Hate:

Fireworks smoke/smell.
              Yuck!
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                I think it was a combination of smells such as new clothes, new appliances, rubber tires and POPCORN that got continuously recirculated in the store via the air conditioning system.
                NEW TIRES AND POPCORN! That was it, the Sears Smell! Okay, now to try to recreate it...

I have to add to my "weird" list: my husband has been prescribed this special super germ-killing mouthwash, and though he says it tastes foul, I just love the way it smells. To the point that I've seriously suggested that he use it as aftershave.

oh, and I like the smell of gunpowder.
                "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

being at my mom's house for the holidays reminded me that i love the smell of good bagoong. my mom makes her own--raw fish plus salt in a jar, let ferment. the smell of that plus tomatoes, onions, and cooking rice is comforting to me.

i know lots of you wouldn't agree agree with me on that one, but that's okay.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Scents of good memories:

The smell of jet exhaust is reminiscent of the old days when airports were open air and that blast meant you were going on a trip. Much later it was a blend of old sweat in the upholstery and gasoline when I learned to fly airplanes.

An odd mix of seawater, creosote and old grease or oil from the pier when I was a little kid. That's nostalgic.

Cooked castor oil (model engine lubricant) from the days of flying model airplanes.

Burned rifle powder, from when I first learned to shoot a gun at a Boy Scout camp.

A combination of salt air and hot lava rocks when our family would go fishing near Blow Hole or Makapuu.

Comment

Long's carries it and they often have it on sale; anywhere from 9.95-12.95 a bottle.
                      Body Mint is on sale at Longs right now - about $10 per bottle for a one-month supply.

I'm giving it a go - haven't noticed anything yet though...
                      Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                        Body Mint is on sale at Longs right now - about $10 per bottle for a one-month supply.

I'm giving it a go - haven't noticed anything yet though...
                        Possibly others have?

Comment

O.K., it's a reality but not pretty.......when I walk the dogs I take bags along and when they do their thing I bag it and leave it where it lies.....on the way back (we go about 2 miles) I pick up said leftover bag and take it home. I do not put it in my rubbish bin directly but have a little bucket on the side of the driveway by the hedge that I deposit them all until collection night when my husband puts them in the bin finally. Sometimes from the hot sun it's a little funky when I pick them up off the lawns and it's even worse if some bird tries to pick one up, drops it in the street and a car runs over it, I still pick it up but that smooshed stuff somehow aerates more than just a set down bag. 99% of the time I do not have any problems picking it up due to aroma. BTW, from my name you can tell I'm really vigilant about upholding the laws as set for responsible pet ownership, leash laws being a big offense in my neighborhood all the time with loose dogs and such and owners who are very nonchalant to brain dead about the concept.
                          Last edited by leashlaws; January 4, 2008, 02:29 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Possibly others have?
                            Possibly! Hopefully!!
                            Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                            My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Love: Fresh plumerias, my lover, pine trees, camp fires and what's cooking at camp, "warm puppy" after she's been sleeping in the sun.
                              Dislike: cigarette smoke, people w/ too much cologne on them.
                              Weird: Pinesol.
                              Lika

Comment

love: fresh mowed grass, esp sweetgrass (spicy smell, reminds me of the mountains of Virginia and grandma's)
                                jet fuel and flight lines (born and bred air force dependent)
                                dirt (when I'm digging in it to garden)

hate: cigarette smoke and ashtrays
                                and there are a couple of smells that I HATE that I choose not to
                                discuss further...bad juju at work, if you know what I mean.

And weird smells that I kinda like are gasoline and fox smell
                                We had a bassett hound once that smelled like popcorn.

Comment

Working...
                                X