Clear All

Re: A Hawaii Threads milestone

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    So if Miulang is still ignoring you, I'll quote your post so she can see it
    Do we ALL have to play this silly game?

Comment

I guess you never tried to put someone on ignore then? When you do that what happens is that whenever the person on put on ignore post a reply to a thread there will be an entry in the thread saying that the ignored user placed a post but no text will be displayed. There is a link in the entry called 'view' that would allow you to view that post if you so desired.

There is no needed to requoted a post so that others can see it.
      Last edited by helen; February 5, 2008, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Anyway I added an attachment that contains a print screen image of this thread with all users of this thread on temporary ignore to demostrate what the ignore function does.
        Attached Files

Comment

*frowns*

*stares real good*

*squints*

~gives up~

uh Helen? Hard to see that pic!

pax

Comment

Trying one more time to post a print screen image of this thread with all users responding to this thread temporary on ignore (those ignores have been lifted).

And by the way if you run Internet Explorer V7 you can actually increase the view size of the browser. If you look on the lower right side you will a 100% and a maginfy glass icon. If you click on the arrow to the right of the 100% you can increase or decrease the zoom of the browser window.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by helen; February 5, 2008, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              There is no needed to requoted a post so that others can see it.
              I suspect CW knows that. I believe, knowing that Miulang has chosen to put LikaNui on ignore, he is purposely quoting LikaNui's posts so that Miulang cannot avoid them without also putting him (craigwatanabe) on ignore.

He is waving in her face the posts she chooses to ignore. That's the "game" to which I referred. Some people are finding it amusing to play; I'm finding it childish and tiring, and demeaning to the higher-level of discourse that was supposed to be HT's trademark.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                I believe, knowing that Miulang has chosen to put LikaNui on ignore, he is purposely quoting LikaNui's posts so that Miulang cannot avoid them without also putting him (craigwatanabe) on ignore.
                For the record, she claimed she had me on Ignore, but we recently proved otherwise, as many/most will recall.

He is waving in her face the posts she chooses to ignore. That's the "game" to which I referred. Some people are finding it amusing to play; I'm finding it childish and tiring, and demeaning to the higher-level of discourse that was supposed to be HT's trademark.
                It's no "game." A whole lot of PM's and e-mails arrive from people who DO want to see questions answered. And it's precisely because they want that "higher level of discourse" that you mentioned that they want to see questions answered, not conveniently ignored by pretending the questions weren't seen.
                I do not attack her personally, but I strongly defend my right to challenge any message which intentionally and maliciously tweaks facts and misrepresents situations to HT's readers. She is welcome to challenge my facts too, though she hasn't been able to yet.
                Sorry it makes you unhappy, Leo, but like everyone else you have the right to actually use the Ignore feature and/or you know which threads to avoid.
                And folks, that should be quite enough thread drift here, please. This thread was to congratulate HT. Carry on.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  For the record, she claimed she had me on Ignore, but we recently proved otherwise, as many/most will recall.
                  I've had people on "ignore," yet occasionally viewed a post that they made (using the "view post" Helen described). Doesn't mean I didn't still have them on "ignore" - so it proves nothing to the contrary.

Yet, if I claim to have them on "ignore," then read a post of theirs and choose to respond to it (which I have also done) - yeah, then I'm fair game for additional back-and-forth, just as you have done. No disagreement with you on that.

I strongly defend my right to challenge any message which intentionally and maliciously tweaks facts and misrepresents situations to HT's readers. She is welcome to challenge my facts too, though she hasn't been able to yet.
                  Agreed. And if she chooses to ignore you, then you can consider that as a concession, a default, a failure - anything you like, whether that's what she means or not.

What I consider annoying is another party's choice to quote you as a blatant attempt to make sure the person ignoring you will see what you posted. That is what I feel adds nothing to the discussion, and is simple bullying. If they are quoting you and adding their own perspective of support or dissent, great. But Craig's post was clear in its intent:
                  And folks, that should be quite enough thread drift here, please. This thread was to congratulate HT. Carry on.
                  "I've said my piece - the rest of you should now shut up." Discussion doesn't work that way. A pre-emptive attempt to silence any posting contrary to yours is as one-sided as "ignoring" responses.

Comment

And putting a person on Ignore doesn't mean it is forever. Vbulletin allows the user to remove the setting from a person who was set to ignore.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      "I've said my piece - the rest of you should now shut up." Discussion doesn't work that way. A pre-emptive attempt to silence any posting contrary to yours is as one-sided as "ignoring" responses.
                      No, Leo, your are completely MISinterpreting what I wrote.
                      What I did say was "And folks, that should be quite enough thread drift here, please. This thread was to congratulate HT. Carry on." What that means is that if you wish to start a new thread to discuss your complaints, you're surely entitled to do that. All I did was respectfully ask that this thread, which I started, remain on topic and not continue to darken HT.
                      It's exactly what happened a few days ago in The Jukebox section, when Scrivener started a thread about 2008 music, thread drift started, Scrivener respectfully asked that the thread remain on topic, and we gladly complied. And we did it without a need to post back, grumbling about it.
                      Now. Feel free to start a complaint thread, but please respect those of us who want to keep this thread to congratulating HT.
                      I've said "please" twice.

Comment

All I did was respectfully ask that this thread, which I started, remain on topic and not continue to darken HT.
                        Now. Feel free to start a complaint thread, but please respect those of us who want to keep this thread to congratulating HT.
                        I've said "please" twice.
                        Yes, yes you did. After your own contributions to said drift, AND a personal dig at Miulang.
                        If Miulang was totally silent while Auntie Lynne made two posts every single day, it would still her over two years to catch Miulang.
                        Don't play holier-than-thou, please.

And - on-topic, as requested - as we all continue to post and as membership increases, do you think the number of members will surpass the highest number of posts by any individual, at some point in 2008? Or will it stretch into 2009 to do so? Maybe helen can do some speculative numbers-crunching on that.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Comment

Working...
                              X