Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playwright Lisa Matsumoto dies...

Recent Breaking news...

This breaks my heart. Lisa was such a talented woman. I've shared her works with my grandsons over the years.

I heard about the accident on the news this morning...the car driving the wrong way on the H1 early this morning...but names were not released. 'Til later today.

So incredibly sad. RIP, Lisa.

Re: Playwright Lisa Matsumoto dies...

Very sad. AF's cousin was close friends with Lisa.

Comment

Such sad sad news.

Comment

I just met Lisa about a year ago when our kids at Koko Head School did an Ohia Productions project. What talent, what heart. I'm sure many people will ache for a long time over this.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Lisa was so creatively prolific. The Ala Moana Center center stage Christmas show is her brain child. The Ala Moana Center holiday commercial with Mr. and Mrs. Santa in bed, Santa worrying about his elf while the elf falls out of the sky is based on Lisa's characters and, in fact, was cast using 2 of the actual characters.

Local keiki theater and literature has lost a valuable contributor.

Comment

(text added to make the minimum)

Comment

When a person very familiar with the roads is driving the wrong way for mile(s), there is usually drugs or alcohol involved.

If that is the case, I feel most sorry for the girl who was doing nothing wrong but now lays in Queens with head and leg injuries.

I hope this was just a horrible mistake but history doesn't support that. There have been 4 head-ons involving the H-1 over the past 2 years. 3 out of 4 were established to be drug or alcohol related.

Comment

rewrite: I had the same thoughts myself - that there must be something underlying this, but I didn't want to bring it up. If that is the case, it will surface in it's own time.

3:30AM and all the rain we've been having could have something to do with it. If she had a blood sugar disorder, she could have lost control medically. It's happened before with a public personality.

It might be a path of self-destruction, or it could be a case of someone pushing themselves to do too much. Out of respect to her friends and family, I don't want to speculate until the facts are in.
                Last edited by GeckoGeek; December 15, 2007, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  I had the same thoughts myself - that there must be something underlying this, but I didn't want to bring it up. If that is the case, it will surface in it's own time. --- Out of respect to her friends and family, I don't want to speculate until the facts are in.
                  Very respectful of you, GG. That's a concept that some people can't seem to grasp:
                  Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                  When a person very familiar with the roads is driving the wrong way for mile(s), there is usually drugs or alcohol involved.
                  Whether that turns out to be true or not, NOW is not the time for such ghoulish guessing games, Kam. Now is the time to grieve for all concerned and their families.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Whether that turns out to be true or not, NOW is not the time for such ghoulish guessing games, Kam. Now is the time to grieve for all concerned and their families.
                    Part of me agrees with you, especially since we don't know the facts.

However, that being said, and especially if it turns out that drugs were involved, now is the time. Our society glosses over the self destructive decision that people make which hurt themselves and others in the name of "respect".

I think it shows more "respect" to use this sickening event and waste good human life to make changes in the way we do things.

Would stronger laws which could have encouraged/scared this woman to call a cab and spend $30 be worth it?? I suspect it would have been.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                      Part of me agrees with you, especially since we don't know the facts.

However, that being said, and especially if it turns out that drugs were involved, now is the time.
                      No, now is NOT the time. When the facts of the situation are presented, THAT will be the time.

We have plenty of drug and alcohol problems and tragedies that we can already use to discuss and debate; my point is that is is inconsiderate of you (at best) to put this case in that category before we have any confirmation whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        No, now is NOT the time. When the facts of the situation are presented, THAT will be the time.

We have plenty of drug and alcohol problems and tragedies that we can already use to discuss and debate; my point is that is is inconsiderate of you (at best) to put this case in that category before we have any confirmation whatsoever.
                        Thank you for that. I know my first thought upon hearing of this tragedy was...How? Then my brain rattled on about all the possible scenarios it could come up with...a medical issue being one of them. Regardless...none of us currently know the cause so to speculate using the worst case scenario is, at this point, nothing but a cheap shot.

Comment

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...659271043.html

As I said, part of me agrees that there should be some restraint shown when a person has just died in terms of discussing any issues around the death.

But I spoke out because the drunks on Hawaii's roads are disgusting me. And the odds are that the vast majority of wrong way highway collisions are drug or alcohol related. This woman knew the H-1. The distance she drove. The time of day (3am) all screamed alcohol and drug use.

Of course typical of Hawaii style, these things should not be discussed. They should ignored, hidden and shelved.

Well now what do you think? This woman, in the dumbest decision of her life, succeeded in almost killing a 35 year old mother of 2 and another guy while threatening to kill or injure many more.

To me, the fact that she wrote some books and plays is all irrelevant to the fact that she hurt others and threatened the lives of many more.

To all of you who cried racism for my comments, I won't say what I think of you but imagine the worst. There was nothing racist about my comments pointing out the other fools in this community who like to get drunk and then play with a weapon called an automobile with no respect for others health and well being. My list of fools included Hawaiians, Japanese and as I was informed Korean and Haoles. Racism against who? But you can't handle the truth so you cry racism.

Pathetic.

The only victim in this event was the poor woman who is still in Queens.

They say it only takes a moment to destroy what you've worked to establish all your life. Well, this Matsumoto lady just did that. I will never purchase her books or see her plays unless all the proceeds go to fight drunk driving or to help with those injured by drunk drivers. That's what the family should do with any future proceeds if you ask me.

And until Hawaii, and other states, make the penalties for drunk driving almost cruel and unusual, then I will celebrate when any drunk driver takes themselves out and not innocent victims.

Aloha
                          Last edited by kamuelakea; December 17, 2007, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Actually, it might be more than alcohol. Alcohol was just the fuel. A friend of mine was rammed by another car crossing the median and speeding up — the driver was killed and my friend badly injured. It turned out that the woman in the other car had left a suicide note behind. It's a possibility that a momentary despair causes a swerve and crash, and it happens so quickly there's no time for second thoughts.
                            Burl Burlingame
                            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

It's impossible to disagree in ideology with what you say. But something about dancing upon the graves of others makes me uneasy, in the same way that the celebrations and voyeuristic pleasure following Saddam Hussein's execution made me uneasy. I did not mourn the loss of Hussein, but something seemed wrong about celebrating his beheading. I think there is a time and place (and perhaps a manner) for everything, kamuelakea, and if you'll permit me to say so in all sincerity, I'm not sure you get that. There's so much hate in your words that I'm beginning to feel sorrier for you than for Matsumoto or any of the other injured parties in this unnecessary event.

I am not averse to venomous language, and you've demonstrated that you're an articulate, thoughtful person, so perhaps I'm more inclined to read what you have to say than others who might be so angry; I do, however, wonder if it is human life you value so much as being right.

Matsumoto was wrong. We can all see that now. And you, in kind of a weird and dark way, turned out to be right. And I do not mourn the loss of Matsumoto (notice this is my first response in this thread) because she meant very little to me, but there is room in my heart to pity anyone who abuses his or her own body, mind, or spirit. Whatever else she might have been, Matsumoto was a human being, and a certain amount of compassion is due her just for that.

Please understand I'm not disagreeing with you at all about getting behind the wheel when someone's drunk, and I can't comment at all on the racism thing because I didn't read any of the posts following the first few ('though I do know that in only your second post responding to anything I've written, you were quick to point out that I was Japanese, when all I was doing was trying to be helpful), hate is just such a destructive force. Is there no other way to get your feelings across?
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X