Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playwright Lisa Matsumoto dies...

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    I think it will die down and things will fall back into prospective. But there will always be a small black mark on how she died. Not unlike other local entertainers have self-destructed.
    Well, let's put it this way. If the legacy they left behind wasn't so brilliant, nobody will remember them, whether they lived a checkered or a trouble-free personal life. But in Lisa's case, local productions of "Once Upon One Time" is something that I believe will continue well into the future, just like how Rap Reiplinger's "Rap's Hawaii" and "Poi Dog" remains treasured by a multitude of folks. Yes, we will always be mindful that they are no longer with us and their deaths were untimely. But when you experience their work, you don't think about stuff like that. You're just struck by their talent and how timeless their material is.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      Yes, we will always be mindful that they are no longer with us and their deaths were untimely. But when you experience their work, you don't think about stuff like that. You're just struck by their talent and how timeless their material is.
      Really? Every time I see bits of Rap's Hawaii, I think about the way he died and say, "What a sad story. What a waste of a brilliant talent." And while I know for sure I won't be saying that about Lisa Matsumoto, I'll bet lots and lots of people will.
      Last edited by scrivener; January 13, 2008, 08:01 PM. Reason: "I can't get enough of your love..."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Really? Every time I see bits of Rap's Hawaii, I think about the way he died and say, "What a sad story. What a waste of a brilliant talent." And while I know for sure I won't be saying that about Lisa Matsumoto, I'll bet lots and lots of people will.
        As I said, we'll always be "mindful" of their demise. But really! Whenever you feel like watching your DVD copy of Rap's Hawaii, it's because you're in the mood for a good laugh, right? You don't watch that DVD with the intention of getting into a somber mood, do you?

Not that it would do any good to do the latter, anyway. They are now gone from this world. Nothing that we do will ever change that. All we can do is to enjoy the work they left behind.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I used to go hiking a lot up at the St. Louis Heights trail all the way to the summit overlooking Kaneohe. When I heard of Rap's death there I always wondered how you could fall on a trail and die, especially there where even the unmarked trails weren't that difficult to traverse.

However if you ever did wander off the beaten trails and venture thru the unmarked ones, you would have definately have found those cleared pakalolo patches that dotted the area back then...and the occasional trip wires. I've had my share of thick branches fly right past my head after walking into those traps. After that incident I was a bit more cautious and found other trip wires one with a shotgun shell aimed at the intruder's proximity.

One of the unmarked trails begin from the right side near the end of the marked trail. It goes down and runs about ten feet and parallel to the marked trail continuing back to the end of the marked trail. That's where I found one patch. Another I found just off the pathway up to the first peak to the left. That one had the trip wires and if triggered would have sent you careening off the ledge into the Hapu thicket below from a branch hitting you from the right. The fall would have killed you as that thicket would throw you into Manoa Valley

Those patches were up there and I wouldn't doubt that Rap found one by accident and was killed as a result.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Look like the Liquor Commission is re-opening their investigation of the Lisa Matsumoto case.

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/haw..._h1_crash.html

Comment

I know I've said this before, but I wish anyone who thinks the bar is responsible would please explain it to me. Was Longs responsible for the murder of that poor Waianae teacher in Ewa Beach? These things are terrible events, but they are the responsibility of the people who committed the acts, not the businesses the provided the (legal) weapons. It's true that if a bar sells alcohol to someone who's visibly drunk, it has broken the law, but that is a stupid, stupid, stupid law, just as most of the liquor laws are in this state.

I need an amen from timkona.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It's true that if a bar sells alcohol to someone who's visibly drunk, it has broken the law,
                And what would you say if said bar had dispensed 16 drinks as suggested? Do they need to look visibly drunk?

Comment

i think businesses need to be prudent and decide for themselves whether or not they'll serve customers. it might be wrong to sell someone twelve big macs, but should it be illegal?
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I can understand that she paid for 16 drinks as in buying a round or two to her friends but for someone to actually drink that much wouldn't they pass out before consuming that much liquor?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                      I can understand that she paid for 16 drinks as in buying a round or two to her friends but for someone to actually drink that much wouldn't they pass out before consuming that much liquor?
                      According to the link posted by FM, the 16 drinks is calculated is based on her weight and blood alcohol level, not her credit card slip.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        Seriously, that many drinks would put me 6 feet under the sod. I doubt I'd survive that. I get a killer headache from even part of a third glass of wine...bad enough that I'm not tempted by #3. How many people could manage to remain standing, much less find their car, after that much alcohol? Still, as GG, noted, 16 drinks was an estimate based on height and weight vs blood alcohol level.

Comment

There is a known genetic component related to the consumption of alcohol and its effects. Those who have that genetic component may be able to partake in what would seem to be paralyzing amounts of alcohol and still be able to function, at least on the surface level. They can walk, they can talk, but their reaction times are severely impaired.
                          I have no clue what happened with Lisa Matsumoto, of course. If she did have sixteen drinks and was still able to start her car I would speculate that she may have had that genetic component.
                          TutuSue? You obviously do not.

Comment

Thanks for the info, WORN. I'd never heard of the genetic component. You're right, I don't have it!

Comment

Working...
                            X