Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 222

Thread: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

  1. #26

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

    Quote Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
    What do you think about the reports of some protesters trying to create a traffic jam at the intersection? One person reportedly drove his late-model truck slowly into the middle of the intersection, stopped, and opened his hood feigning car trouble.

    Maybe next time they'll have a tow truck stationed there. From what I understand, once that boom touches your car, you're on the hook for charges. That would put a stop to that pretty quick.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    And a cop issuing a ticket for obstructing traffic


    So with 250 protesters and 250 HSF passengers I guess that about evens out the battle over friend vs foe...oh I forgot two of the passengers were protesters. Hmmm I wonder if they flew back to Honolulu so they could justify coming back to Maui by air instead of the HSF.

    If they ended their journey via the HSF isn't that a bit hypocritical?

    So if it's the same 250+2 protesters everyday and as each day passes, the number of those in favor of the HSF will exponentially increase with every day it docks in Maui.

    I think the protesters are slowly losing ground with increasing ratios like that. The problem with humanity nowdays is that we just don't like to lose...I think General Patton once mentioned something like that about us Americans.

    What I can't understand is this statement from Ms Bowie, "We want to get back to life as normal as can be with the Superferry," said Irene Bowie, executive director for the protesting group Maui Tomorrow.

    She indicates she wants life to get back to normal "WITH THE SUPERFERRY". but is protesting it's very existance. She either mistated her remark or her remarks were misqquoted. Either way it's a confusing statement.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; December 16th, 2007 at 02:33 PM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

    My article, "Rock n Roll on the Hawaii Superferry" at HawaiiReporter.com was posted last night. My photos on Flickr.

  4. #29

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Looks like the first real application of the HSF. The National Guard will be planning to use the ferry to get their equipment out to Maui to help with the storm cleanup. They cited using the ferry would be cheaper than using C17s.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
    Looks like the first real application of the HSF. The National Guard will be planning to use the ferry to get their equipment out to Maui to help with the storm cleanup.
    Gee, I wonder how many of those same Maui protesters will be lined up yelling and screaming at the National Guard to go back to Oahu.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Well, the Mauians have to either swallow it and accept the assistance, if any, or be habut and suffer. Things sound quiet on the front, has the count in protestors dwindled or is this just a temporary holiday break for them?

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    10,133

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    Gee, I wonder how many of those same Maui protesters will be lined up yelling and screaming at the National Guard to go back to Oahu.
    Kind of pointless thing to do. The National Guard and their equipment is not going to stay in Maui for very long.

    And if the National Guard or the State wanted to really quiet down the protesters. They would use the C-17 to airlift the stuff from Oahu to Maui and then use the SuperFerry for the trip from Maui to Oahu.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    Kind of pointless thing to do.
    Indeed. My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek when I wrote what you quoted.
    That's why I had the in my original quote, like this:

    Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    Gee, I wonder how many of those same Maui protesters will be lined up yelling and screaming at the National Guard to go back to Oahu.
    Anyway, it seems that almost everything the Maui protesters yell and scream about is pointless. The operative term there being "almost."
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  9. #34

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Haupia View Post
    Things sound quiet on the front, has the count in protestors dwindled or is this just a temporary holiday break for them?
    I'd like to know too. Seems like the whole HSF has fallen off the news page. Will the protesters continue, or will they do something stupid so they can be in the news again?

  10. #35
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    HSF had to cancel today's Maui trip, as seas in the channel were reportedly dangerously high. Which is why you see it docked at Honolulu harbor this morning.

    Yesterday they fought 20' swells, and from what I hear it was quite a "ride".

  11. #36

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    HSF had to cancel today's Maui trip, as seas in the channel were reportedly dangerously high. Which is why you see it docked at Honolulu harbor this morning.

    Yesterday they fought 20' swells, and from what I hear it was quite a "ride".
    Are they simplying giving the pax for today a spot on tomorrow's run? Or do they comp them with airline tix? Or first class upgrade?

    To me, this seems no different than flying out on the East Coast, flights get cancelled all the time due to weather.

  12. #37

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    HSF had to cancel today's Maui trip, as seas in the channel were reportedly dangerously high. Which is why you see it docked at Honolulu harbor this morning.

    Yesterday they fought 20' swells, and from what I hear it was quite a "ride".
    I'm surprised that none of the protesters are claiming that GOD is siding with them and sending these swells against HSF .................

  13. #38

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    HSF had to cancel today's Maui trip, as seas in the channel were reportedly dangerously high.
    Hmmm. I wonder how often that's going to happen and for how long a stretch? I hope lack of reliability doesn't become HSF fatal flaw. Unlike the mainland, we're not used to having to cancel trips because of weather. (At least for anything less then a hurricane.)

  14. #39

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    What seems sort of strange is that in the video, the ones yelling "go home we don't want you hea?"

    They all look like; they NOT born in Hawaii?

    Boy it never ceases to amaze me. How some people think they have the right to tell others what to do.
    Especially when No one invited them hea in the first place!

    would be a big laugh if there was a group of Hawaiians behind them.

    Soon as they yell "Go home, we don't want you here" To the people from the ferry.

    The group of Hawaiians tell them! "Well now you know how we feel about you being hea!"

  15. #40

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by HWNJAP View Post
    They all look like; they NOT born in Hawaii?

    Boy it never ceases to amaze me.
    ...and it amazes me that you think you can tell who is born in Hawai`i based just on how they look.

  16. #41

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    ...and it amazes me that you think you can tell who is born in Hawai`i based just on how they look.
    U right! I not one expert like U! LOL!!!
    Last edited by HWNJAP; December 27th, 2007 at 07:34 PM.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,518

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by HWNJAP View Post
    U right! I not one expert like U! LOL!!!
    WTF?!! You come in hea and ack ....eh, neba mind.

    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  18. #43

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    WTF?!! You come in hea and ack ....eh, neba mind.

    Auntie Lynn
    Oh? no dis respect Auntie!

    But I not going be baited into a forum fight with Mr. Porter!

    Eh up to him if he like try? But I'm no fool. Why I going let what he say get me mad?

    I think you get me wrong Auntie!

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,518

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by HWNJAP View Post
    They all look like; they NOT born in Hawaii?

    Boy it never ceases to amaze me. How some people think they have the right to tell others what to do.
    Especially when No one invited them hea in the first place.
    I support the Hawaii Superferry.

    How can you tell if a person is not born in Hawai'i by the way they look? It is racial and prejudice to think so.

    I have a beautiful Ohana. The skin color of my relatives come in all colors. The majority were born in Hawaii. I have ukapila friends with different skin color and hair styles too.

    We are Human Beings on planet Earth.

    We have Laws to follow. Whatever the pilikia the Protesters have should be based on the Laws they're breaking.

    I respect ALL Opinions but when it comes to being prejudice and racial, I will not stand for it.

    Auntie Lynn

    BTW: My grandchildren are white.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  20. #45

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by HWNJAP View Post
    But I not going be baited into a forum fight with Mr. Porter!
    No worry, beef curry. Now that I know who you are, I won't bother. You'll do just fine without my help.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,518

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    No worry, beef curry. Now that I know who you are, I won't bother. You'll do just fine without my help.
    Aiyah!! I should have known!!

    Naughty. naughty.

    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  22. #47

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    No worry, beef curry. Now that I know who you are, I won't bother. You'll do just fine without my help.
    See Auntie? I told you he was try to start something!

    Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    Aiyah!! I should have known!!

    Naughty. naughty.

    Auntie Lynn

    Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    I support the Hawaii Superferry.

    How can you tell if a person is not born in Hawai'i by the way they look? It is racial and prejudice to think so.

    I have a beautiful Ohana. The skin color of my relatives come in all colors. The majority were born in Hawaii. I have ukapila friends with different skin color and hair styles too.

    We are Human Beings on planet Earth.

    We have Laws to follow. Whatever the pilikia the Protesters have should be based on the Laws they're breaking.

    I respect ALL Opinions but when it comes to being prejudice and racial, I will not stand for it.

    Auntie Lynn

    BTW: My grandchildren are white.

    My earlier statement about they not being born hea? (Sorry maybe wrong choice of words)
    I was just commenting on,
    "why the think they can go out in public and tell anyone else they not welcome hea?"
    If you watch the vid clip das exactly what they stay yelling at the good people coming off the S/F.

    We all Immigrated from another land!

    How they would feel if someone told them that when they came hea?

    No prejudice hea! (I just Hate stupid people!)

    I believe "It isn't the Who you are that matters! It is what you do that matters!"


    Aloha Auntie!

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    middle of da ocean
    Posts
    5,500

    Question Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Hmmm. I wonder how often that's going to happen and for how long a stretch? I hope lack of reliability doesn't become HSF fatal flaw. Unlike the mainland, we're not used to having to cancel trips because of weather. (At least for anything less then a hurricane.)
    The unreliability is a serious issue. Recently, I was scheduled to take the SuperFerry over and back between Oahu and Maui.
    My buddy and I flew instead, so all's well. Now if I was planning on taking a vehicle it would have been a real problem.

    So the question I have is...
    Is it only a harbor issue that's stopping the trips or the actual conditions in the channels?
    If it's the channels then that should have been considered! Harbors can be upgraded.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

  24. #49

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Menehune Man View Post
    So the question I have is...
    Is it only a harbor issue that's stopping the trips or the actual conditions in the channels?
    If it's the channels then that should have been considered! Harbors can be upgraded.
    If I understand today's Advertiser article, it's the channels. And it was considered - they only expected to be inoperative 4 days a year. And December was the worst time.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

    Proving the superiority of the SuperFerry (and talk about needing Barf Bags!)...
    Much has been said here in the past about ferry service in the Seattle area, so it was interesting to find this comment and these two photos on this new page of the wonderful Sailing Scuttlebutt website just now:
    Windstorms in the Pacific Northwest can play havoc on the ferry traffic, which is vital in some areas for transportation. On days like this, the lower platform can become a mess as the force of saltwater waves douse and push around the car cargo.
    Last edited by LikaNui; March 9th, 2008 at 11:36 AM.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •