Bah humbug!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bah humbug!

For the past decade, it's the musical aspect of the holiday season that had bugged me the most (and as you folks know, music is a key part of my life).

But that was job-related ... I used to develop Christmas/holiday/seasonal music programs starting in late July each year, so I'd hear a lot of the same tunes from late July until the end of October - at which point some stores and commercials would start playing them.

Imagine hearing holiday music for a five-month stretch. And people wondered why I didn't want to go caroling.

But not this year. Now, I can enjoy the songs of the season during the actual season in which they were intended to be heard. Trust me - that's a good thing. And it makes a difference in increasing my enjoyment of Christmastime.

Pass me that Vince Guaraldi album, would ya?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      What are they like?

I tend to be Bah humbug until I've figured out what to get everyone and get all the shopping done. I'm more into the Christmas thing when the presents are all wrapped, but by then it's already Christmas - it's over before I'm ready for it to be over.
      They're butter cookies shaped like Christmas Trees and stuff....made old school from the little gun you fill with dough (colored green or red) and cut out shapes...you squeeze the dough through and it comes out looking like a tree, wreath...whatever. Decorate with colored sprinkles, and voila....Christmas cookies
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I am usually Bah humbug until the 17th or 18th of December. That is because of my schedule. The time between Thanksgiving and the end of the semester is the busiest time of the year. Once finals are over I get the Christmas spirit. We don't celebrate in a religious way though. I always joke that we celebrate Christmas in all of it's commercial glory. But that isn't entirely true. We decorate (I love the lights and stuff), make cookies and listen to Christmas music. The family gets together and exchanges presents - but we celebrate the getting together and having a good time. We do exchange presents, but we do what we call "dollar Christmas" where no present costs more than $5.00, and most cost $1.00. Much of it is silly, but we have a good time and that's what counts.

I notice that people in general are friendlier and in better spirits this time of year. Wish it could be that way all year long........

Comment

I don't make any special effort to celebrate Christmas, but I also try my not to be the party pooper who ruins everyone elses fun.
          Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

I got to Ala Moana this afternoon shortly after lunch and was pleased to find a nice spot to park near Neiman Marcus on the makai side of the mall level within two minutes of getting there.

Leaving was another story. 45 freaking minutes just to get to the damn Piikoi St. exit. That was enough for me mutter a BAH HUMBUG!!!
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
              I got to Ala Moana this afternoon shortly after lunch and was pleased to find a nice spot to park near Neiman Marcus on the makai side of the mall level within two minutes of getting there.

Leaving was another story. 45 freaking minutes just to get to the damn Piikoi St. exit. That was enough for me mutter a BAH HUMBUG!!!
              I had a similar situation yesterday. From my Waikiki condo I can see the top level of parking off the Diamond Head end of Macy's. So, I time my infrequent trips to AMC according to what I see out my window!

Yesterday looked as though that parking area was, for the most part, undiscovered. By the time I got there...nothing available. I found a spot in the same general area as you, Lei. I had an appt. at the Apple Store so ended up with much more convenient parking than I was initially willing to settle for. I swear that every car in the AMC parking lots contained at least 2 people who all converged on the Apple Store at the same time. Good Lord...it was like a sardine can in there.

Leaving AMC was a whole 'nother story. While it didn't take me 45 minutes it was close. I thought about leaving my car there and walking home but I had my computer and a couple of peripherals so decided to just keep on inching forward.

BAH! HUMBUG! Indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                I swear that every car in the AMC parking lots contained at least 2 people who all converged on the Apple Store at the same time. Good Lord...it was like a sardine can in there.
                Whadjagetme?
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  Whadjagetme?
                  A can opener!

Comment

For the very first time, an ARTIFICIAL tree! With all the controversy about invasive wasps and that mean-looking lizard, plus the entire shipment of trees turned away, we broke away from the old tradition.

I have one of those car scent tubes replicating the fragrance of a natural tree.

Comment

My Bah Humbugness has grown steadily over the past few of years. Maybe its because my daughter has grown up a bit, family moving away,working in the retail field and other factors but I just dont "feel it" anymore and am more inclined to just be happy I have an extra day off.

Comment

With my eldest a senior in h.s., getting ready to hit the big 18 and I getting ready to hit the bit 40 myself, I realize that the clock is ticking where I will be an empty-nester soon. Nothing drives this point home more than the holiday season, and that the fact is my kids now each have girl/boyfriends, which is a further reminder that they will be on their own, creating their own traditions, and while my husband and I may be a part of it, they are growing up and away.

That empty nest blues is gonna hit me something fierce...

pax

Comment

Music?
                          http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/mini....=1198323118780
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X