Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Did You Cook Today?

Tilapia soup

Water, tilapia filets, canned tomatoes, curry powder, tumeric, cumin, vegetable stock cubes, corn, beans, pintobeans, wheatberries, carrot, onion, garlic, peas, celery, potato, green pepper.

It was very good, much better than I thought it would be.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
      Tilapia soup >>> It was very good, much better than I thought it would be.
      I also recently made fish 'n chips using an imported farm-raised Tilapia from Japan, and you know what? It was MUCH, MUCH better than I thought it would be. In fact, excellent. Far from what I can even imagine it would taste had it come out of the Ala Wai canal.

Made Gyudon ("beef bowl") for dinner last night....

Thin cuts of beef, Shiitake mushrooms and sliced onions, cooked in a savory-sweet broth made with dashi, shoyu, mirin and sake, then poured over hot rice and topped with Beni Shoga (red pickled ginger). I also added chopped green onion, julienned daikon and carrot for added color, texture and flavor contrast.

Really ono and so easy to make.
      Last edited by Pomai; January 10, 2008, 02:34 AM. Reason: green glowing river fish
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I have to admit it was really hard to buy and cook tilapia, without thinking of places like that.

Comment

Hm....today I made unagi and teriyaki salmon. And waffles, ham, and eggs for breakfast.
          Words are one thing. Actions are another.

Comment

Pork was the theme in my kitchen this weekend.

First up was something I created myself called SPAM Donburi...

SPAM, Shiitake mushrooms and onions simmered in a dashi, shoyu, mirin and sake broth and served over hot rice with the broth poured over it and topped with Beni Shoga (the red stuff) and other garnishes.

The other was Tonkatsu (pork cutlet)...

demonstrating Bull-Dog (left) and Ikari (right) brand Tonkatsu sauces. A MUST with this dish (or Chicken Katsu).

Both dishes absolutely oishii desu! The tart bite of that Beni Shoga condiment (Umezu pickled red ginger) compliments the rich, savory pork flavors so beautifully. You gotta' try it.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

eric and i tag-teamed on making a local rendition of beery kielbasa, cabbage & potatoes that he brought to his friend's house to enjoy while they watch football today.

eric cooked two rendondo's portuguese sausages, sliced up, to about medium. (they're on sale, two for $4 at foodland). he pulled out the sausages, browned a diced whole onion. then he deglazed the pan with an entire can of coors light, dumped in some diced red potatoes, and seasoned with dill & pepper before covering and letting simmer for about 3 minutes.

i took over at this point. when the potatoes were still on the firm side of tender, i added an entire medium-sized head of cabbage, which i had chopped coarsely. once the cabbage cooked down about 2/3 of the way, i added the sliced sausages back in and dumped in a good amount of dijon mustard, making sure the mustard and beer sauce were well combined throughout. i let that simmer. eric came back to check seasoning and added about a tablespoon of hawaiian salt, more pepper and a touch more dill.

pretty ono, and it makes a great one-pot (we use a big chicken fryer) meal. you can even make it healthier by using a lower fat sausage, such as turkey, or eliminate the potatoes, thereby reducing the carbs greatly.

while we used coors light for this recipe today, i can tell you that using a "better" beer makes a difference. also, if you use a more gourmet dijon instead of the heinz we used, that also enhances flavor. last time i cooked this, i used sam adams fezziwig ale and edmund fallot dijon mustard.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Oatmeal...
                |
                |
                |
                |
                |
                instant oatmeal!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Oatmeal... instant oatmeal!
                  Ooooh, you're good! I tried to cook some of that once, but I had trouble with the ingredients. See, the instructions said "Add hot water and stir." So I added hot water, but couldn't find any stir to add. I looked in my fridge, no stir. I looked in my spice rack, no stir. I looked in all my kitchen cabinets, no stir. I went to Safeway and cruised up and down every single aisle, but I couldn't find any stir.
                  So I went home and had to throw out my oatmeal.
                  May I ask where you found your stir?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    [...]
                    May I ask where you found your stir?

Stir? Hmmm...I don't remember that request. All I did was add cold water to dry oatmeal, nuke and eat!!! I guess my oatmeal is a bit more 'high tech' than your oatmeal!

Comment

Made lunch for friends and their guests (from Connecticut, wherever the hell that is)

Went to the Hilo Farmers Market for 2 kinds of lettuce, Red Bells, Tomato, Japanese Cucumber, String Beans, and a bunch of other veggies. Got some excellent homemade Kim Chee. Then KTA for Nori Ahi Poke, and Sonoma Garlic Cheese.

Plate had so many flavors on it. "Attack the tongue" salad.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Recent Costco gift-membership means lots more eating in. One thing I think even a single guy can really save on is a boneless, skinless chicken breast. Except that you have to buy $22 worth at a time.

So this is my second time doing this: I throw all sixteen filets in the slow-cooker and let them cook on high for four hours (or so). No seasoning, no sauce, no nothing.

As the week progresses, I'll use the breasts to make barbecue chicken sandwiches, chicken quesadillas, chicken-salad sandwiches (ooh...picked up three pounds of grape tomatoes, too, which were born for chicken salad!), chicken-egg-cheese breakfast sandwiches, and other chickeny dishes. Sometimes for breakfast, I'll just eat a whole filet as I rush out the door.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scriv, you need a freezer.

Comment

Working...
                          X