Sugar Bowl: UH Warriors vs. Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sugar Bowl: UH Warriors vs. Georgia

Why didn't Hawaii's offensive line use the crack back blocking or chop blocking scheme against a bigger and faster Georgia's defense? The Tennesee Titans used a legal crack back block to stop the Chargers' Shawn Merriman from just going straight ahead to get the QB. These were not your father's undersize Georgia Junkyard Dawgs. These were pro prospects on Georgia's team who would have been cautious against a smaller low hitting at your knees team. They would have been looking both ways before rushing the passer.

Signed,
    A Bill Bilichick win at all costs fan

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy View Post
      What the future holds for June Jones, no one knows. He has one more year left on his contract and he is NFL material for sure.
      Actually, his contract is officially up in just a couple of months, not one more year. And surely you know that he came to UH from the NFL, where he coached for a long time, and in coming to UH he turned down an offer to be head coach of the San Diego Chargers. So yeah, he's "NFL material."
      JJ will spend the next 7 days in Kona, in meetings with his agent. So far, they haven't heard anything at all from Herman Frazier, but they have heard from SMU in Texas and from an unnamed NFL team.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        from an unnamed NFL team.
        I hear you, some coaches leave the NFL and never make it back, happy to coach at the collegiate level.

I believe only two NFL teams have head coaching vacancies (at this time).

Who is looking or has been approached at the NFL level (as reported):
        Bill Cowher
        Marty Schottenheimer
        Jason Garrett
        Josh McDaniels

plus all those college coaches that want to make the move to the NFL.

Too early to tell anything now, things will get clearer after the Superbowl.
        You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          Clearly, you give yourself too much credit. Anyone who has been following the Advertiser for the past couple of years knows that they make a desperate attempt to put random crap online, just for the sake of being “first.” What obviously occurred in this instance is, the webmaster put whatever was finished from the Newberry article online while the local writer was feverishly going through the tape of people he interviewed, selecting quotes, and editing his rough draft.
          um, clearly, you did not carefully read my post because clearly, i did not say that it was because of my email that they changed the article (the newberry piece, when i looked this morning, is now long gone). this is what i said:

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
          clearly, it had been edited. it now has more quotes from brennan, none of which were there before. even if it wasn't my email that got the thing changed, i'm glad that our warriors were treated with more honor.
          doesn't matter if all they were trying to be was "first." they could have spent two minutes editing out the "overrated" part, like espn did. clearly, the webmaster or the sports bureau or treena shapiro or whatever dunderhead it was who posted the piece on the hondadv website, reads about as assiduously as you and random do.

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Did you see the expression on Colt's face when Graunke completed that 4th quarter (and only) TD pass. He wanted to get back in so bad and when that opportunity was missed it looked as if Brennan's life was sucked out of him.

Whether UH didn't play smart enough or not, I just think they played their best...it's just Georgia played better and they should have because they were #3 Ranked vs UH's #10 position. You don't get that high by being intimidated by a team seven positions down.

But for June Jones, just to get the invite to the BCS was an achievement in itself! When my wife asked me how come this game is so important to Hawaii. I looked at her in disbelief! Getting into the Sugar Bowl had just eclipsed the UH's tremendous WAC title! That in itself was unbelievable but then to get into the BCS!!! Forget WAC...Hello BCS, and then we lost, oh how bittersweet that loss was.

Today at work we all wanted to talk about it, but we just couldn't bear to bring it up. But when we did...oh man the frustrations about what should have, what could have, why didn't we all came out like a bottled up genie waiting to explode. You don't just take a loss like that on the chin and say, "Oh well". But what do you do? You can't beat a coconut tree with your bare fists out of frustration. This was a big loss emotionally for our Warriors. Brennan definately was affected by that 4th quarter sideline watching Gruenke make that TD pass...the one he should have made and wanted to make but couldn't. You saw him, he was begging Jones to put him back in, he needed those passing yard stats for just this one game.

Now for my armchair analysis: I think Jones should have pulled Brennan in the 2nd quarter so he could watch the Georgia defense then come back in during the 3rd quarter and do his magic.

Georgia did was HPU's Tony Selitto did with his basketball team, constantly substitute, keeping fresh players in the game to wear down the opponent. My goodness, Brennan was on the field for three quarters and got sacked 8 times because of it! How in the world can you rally when your star QB is being turned into poi? By the time he was pulled, he was hurting so bad he had to be walked off!

Man watching yesterday's Sugar Bowl was like watching Rollerball. As if it wasn't a game anymore. Brennan came in smiling, left the press conference with a look of dispair. The hurt went deeper than his shoulder blades...it definately affected him.

Man what a loss...but there's always next season!
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Very surprised and kinda sad....all these day prior to the Sugar Bowl, almost every person I saw around town wore a tshirt that somewhat promoted the Sugar Bowl or WAC champions. After Tuesdays loss, I went to work today, Wednesday, and to my shock, I hardly saw ANYONE in town wearing a shirt or at least something to promote the warriors...although I WAS wearing an older UH cap and green Addidas jacket, and WILL BE probably till after the BCS Champ game. I sure hope people dont just give up and walk away from these WAC champions....if they do, guess who just maybe are THE REAL losers...just my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                Brennan definately was affected by that 4th quarter sideline watching Gruenke make that TD pass...the one he should have made and wanted to make but couldn't.
                Did you see him crying? Talk about an emotional rollercoaster ride!

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                my armchair analysis: I think Jones should have pulled Brennan in the 2nd quarter so he could watch the Georgia defense then come back in during the 3rd quarter and do his magic ... How in the world can you rally when your star QB is being turned into poi?
                You may have something here. Taking Brennan out in the 2nd quarter when time wasn’t such a big factor, may have been a golden opportunity for Colt to catch his breath and regroup. It was obvious, at least to me, that the Bulldog pressure and crowd noise were causing him to lose synch with his receivers. Better to hear the headset breakdown while it’s happening, then between offensive sets?

Ultimately, UH needed an answer for Marcus Howard, which they didn’t get. Still, though. Interesting.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

craig, good point about taking colt out for a breather/better perspective. the other thing that puzzled me (and mentioned by the announcers) was the late use of their timeout near the end of the half.

it's in the past now and there are some basic lessons learned that i think most sane people will agree on.

fortunately, i think most warrior fans are still fans and respect all that they've accomplished. it was great to see that small faithful at the airport welcoming the warriors back from their trip.

i'm looking forward to watching Graunke lead the warriors next season!
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

We should get t shirts printed up that says "UH...1st Runner up in the Sugar Bowl! Should Georgia not be able to complete their reign as Sugar Bowl Champions, Hawaii will be ready to step in."

Let's hope Georgia has to go to rehab or has revealing pictures show up on the internet before the next Sugar Bowl.

I'm such an enabler heh.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittrick View Post
                      Let's hope Georgia has to go to rehab or has revealing pictures show up on the internet before the next Sugar Bowl.

I'm such an enabler heh.
                      there's a picture on the web showing the football team getting out of cars without any underwear! does that count???
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                        there's a picture on the web showing the football team getting out of cars without any underwear! does that count???
                        Only if one of the Spears sisters women in one of the cars.

I'm such a bad, bad man.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                        X