X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: *spits, cusses, ca-HACK* WWJD?

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    22 years ago is pretty much in the category of "ancient history." Ya think?
    Good point. SMU was subjected to stuff like that back when Eric Dickerson and other players from the Pony Express days were in school, and a few years after.

Hawaii has NCAA infractions more often than you think. Most of it is quietly leaked--if at all--to the media. But, I don't think Hawaii has done anything as bad as paying players, allowing contact with agents, etc.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Kittrick View Post
      I'm really surprised that the UH boosters haven't made a plea to the public for donations. They could easily raise 1M dollars if they had a television fundraiser or some other kind of fundraiser and publicized it as "save June Jones!"
      that's not it, and I would bet the ranch on this hunch.

take those extra donations (of the hypothetical bazillion dollars) and pour it into facilities and recruiting funds. It ain't the paycheck; its the respect and lattitude to help the man do his job. He needs the 'ohana and needs the Hawaiian lifestyle, but he needs Hawai'i to meet him halfway and give him the tools to succeed further.

Listen to what the man and his boys have been saying. And provide him that.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
        If I worked in that office, I would be spending this holiday running a spreadsheet and passing that sucka around all those hgea listservs, so that it finds its way into the legislature, and the newspapers, and prove to the state what kind of economic (and morale!) benefit our uh fb program provides.
        OK, throw a clue to the clueless. Who's money are we talking about spending and what is the economic benefit?

Comment

Re: WWJD? SMU Courts June Jones

<Napoleon Dynomite>

Thank you, Admin, for changing my thread title. It's so much better now.

</serious nasal voice>

pax

Comment

Does June Jones really want to be associated with that kind of program?
            Only if JJ is allowed to run the program the way he want. Like LikaNui said, it's ancient history.

I don't know if he can make a quick decision to leave. The SMU offer is good for 72 hours. Stoopid move on SMU's part, unless they want him to make a rash decision and leave no room to change his mind after.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

He's off to SMU tomorrow to meet with SMU officials! http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...536471029.html
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Here's to hoping June Jones, if he takes the SMU job, pulls his best Nick Saban or Bobby Petrino impersonation and decides to come back after knowing it was a mistake to take the money!

Comment

Here's to hoping June Jones, if he takes the SMU job....
                  Can someone please help me with a little Island venacular.

Would June be 'pupule' or would he be 'lolo' to take this job?

I have always had trouble with the subtleties between these two..............
                  You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

KITV just reported that UH offered June Jones $1.1 million last night, and that there is no guarantee of improvements for the facilities.
                    We already know that SMU is expected to offer up to $2 million... almost double the UH offer.
                    The chance to double his income may be irresistible, especially given drastically better facilities at SMU and ten times the recruiting budget ($500,000 at SMU versus the measly $50,000 at UH).

And add this to the mix -- Davone Bess just announced that he will not return for his senior season and instead is turning pro.
                    Could be just one more reason Jones would head to SMU.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      And add this to the mix -- Davone Bess just announced that he will not return for his senior season and instead is turning pro.
                      That sucks. Was hoping he would do what Colt did last season.

No promise to improve the facilities. Is this the UH Chancellor's way of committing to keep JJ here?
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I don't recall which Hawai`i reporter made this claim last week, but... apparently UH still hasn't finished construction of June Jones' office, even after all these years!
                        The reporter said something about unfinished drywall, or damaged drywall, or something similar. The story was that June Jones has lived with it because he'd rather have UH spend the money on the team instead of his own office. (Very classy.)
                        Herman Frazier still should've seen that the job got finished! (Very not classy.)

As I said, without recalling who reported the story or where, I can't justify swearing that it's true. Maybe someone else hear heard it or knows a link?

Anyway, click on this link for Sports Illustrated's story about Davone Bess turning pro.
                        Without Colt and Bess, June Jones may (rightfully) feel that he can't possibly do any better than the season that just ended, so this would be the ideal time for him to move on.

If UH re-hires Fred Von Appen, I'm moving to Siberia.

Comment

Considering Jones, it seems to me that he enjoys the challenge of building a team and during this process an unfinished office, inferior facilities and questionably motivated colleagues (Frazier) are not so important. Once the team reaches the point that UH has, the issues become pressing and the fact that they have not been addressed is more than enough to send someone who likes team building off on the next adventure. SMU was a football powerhouse and I think the opportunity to reestablish that legacy may be too tempting, never mind the money.

Comment

Frazier et al must be getting nervous! They've already raised their offer to June Jones, according to this Breaking News item posted an hour ago on the Advertiser site, which includes:
                            The University of Hawaii has made head football coach June Jones a contract offer that will make him the highest-paid coach in either the Western Athletic Conference or the Mountain West Conference, UH athletic director Herman Frazier said this morning.
                            UH President David McClain, UH-Manoa Chancellor Virginia Hinshaw and Frazier collectively made the offer to Jones directly and later to his agent Leigh Steinberg after up to eight strategy meetings in hopes of retaining UH's winningest football coach.
                            (...)
                            While UH would not release the amount of its offer figures provided by UH show that Fresno State's Pat Hill is the highest-paid WAC coach, earning a salary of $1,229,996.
                            The UH offer to Jones was made late last night and was the second offer in a 24-hour period.
                            UH made the second proposal without having heard back from Steinberg on the first proposal, which was made yesterday and was in the $1.1 million range.
                            (...)
                            Frazier said he asked Jones to call him before making a final decision.
                            (...)
                            Gee, clever negotiating trick, Frazier. Now Jones and his agent know for sure that you haven't made your best offer to them.

Comment

I think JJ would rather have imProvements, Polynesians and Paradise than Ponies, Porsches and Probation.

pax

Comment

Probation? You talking about SMU? That was 20 years ago. Ancient history.
                                And in any event...
                                Moments ago, the lead story on KITV's 5pm news is that several friends and family of June Jones claim they received an e-mail from him today saying that he has resigned from UH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                (Herman Frazier denies it.)
                                Jones supposedly said that money was not the reason, instead it was the lack of improving the facilities and other infrastructure issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X