In Texas (it's the little things!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Texas (it's the little things!)

Here in Texas, I usually shop between two different Japanese shops in Dallas, a 100 yen shop called Minoya and a small food store (with killer fish (but no butterfish )), but a few months ago I tried out one I'd never been to before called Kazy's. Well, what do you know... walking in, we were faced by a gigantic palatte of Hawaiian Sun! They also had Hawaiian Salt, Portuguese sausage, Aloha shoyu AND the guy said sometimes they get POI.
    I guess this means ones of three things:

a) it was destiny and they kept all that stocked just for us...
    b) local Japanese have taken quite a liking to island stuffs
    c) there is a very elusive Hawaiian community here!

Who knows. All I care about is that I am sipping on Guava Nectar... ONO!

-Shen

Re: In Texas (it's the little things!)

Originally posted by shen View Post
    Here in Texas, I usually shop between two different Japanese shops in Dallas, a 100 yen shop called Minoya and a small food store (with killer fish (but no butterfish )), but a few months ago I tried out one I'd never been to before called Kazy's. Well, what do you know... walking in, we were faced by a gigantic palatte of Hawaiian Sun! They also had Hawaiian Salt, Portuguese sausage, Aloha shoyu AND the guy said sometimes they get POI.

-Shen
    I lived in Houston, and on a random drive (probably led by my stomach) I found Kazy's and then while working for Continental airlines I was able to "see" the shipment.

If you're in Dallas, then know that there's a modest community of people oringinally from Hawaii in the Flower Mound area. Most work in the transportation industry. I enjoyed many "local style" potlucks during my visits from Houston.

For li hing mui, check the "hong kong" markets, they have a variety of "seeds."

Aloha ya'll!
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Comment

-Shen
      Aloha!

I'll trade you Hawaiian foods for Mexican foods! I miss it so much there. You in Dallas? Lucky!!!

Comment

Guess WHAT! I just found out they're opening an L&Ls in Lewisville, about 45 minutes from me! Hopefully we get a good one. The guy I called (the owner) was a really nice dude.

Originally posted by OahuGirl View Post
        Aloha!

I'll trade you Hawaiian foods for Mexican foods! I miss it so much there. You in Dallas? Lucky!!!
        Yeah I am (well, technically Arlington)! And I make great salsa
        But really... if you miss anything from around here... we should do a trade! I do it for my friend in Australia all the time. She sends me Aussie care packages all the time and I send her Texan stuff.

Comment

Sounds cool. PM me and we can figure it out.

What I really miss right now is some chocolate mix:

http://www.amazon.com/Abuelita-Mexican-Chocolate-18-8-oz/dp/B0000GH6

My sister is supposed to send some but, she is too busy to count on....

Comment

I PMed you

I went to a place in dallas today called sushiyama that I heard had spam musubi... but they didn't open until 6pm. D'oh!

Comment

We have a big bronze star on the front of our house, many of our neighbors are from Texas and they say it reminds them of home. I would love love love some great Mexican food by the way! We are not from Texas, however we would love to go to Austin sometime and see the bats!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                We have a big bronze star on the front of our house, many of our neighbors are from Texas and they say it reminds them of home. I would love love love some great Mexican food by the way! We are not from Texas, however we would love to go to Austin sometime and see the bats!
                Hahaha! My dad loooves those stars. He painted one to have the Texas flag on it. You have Texan neighbors there? Where are you located?

Yes... I don't know what I'd do without tex-mex in my life! I know of all the little dives in my area... ono... i'm tellin you!

-shen

Comment

Hahaha! My dad loooves those stars. He painted one to have the Texas flag on it. You have Texan neighbors there? Where are you located?

Yes... I don't know what I'd do without tex-mex in my life! I know of all the little dives in my area... ono... i'm tellin you!

-shen
                  In little ol' Kaneohe. We also have 2 of the stars on our pool house, they
                  look so cool!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                    In little ol' Kaneohe. We also have 2 of the stars on our pool house, they
                    look so cool!
                    Awesome! My mom went to Castle High in Kaneohe. Why do you have so many Texans in the neighborhood, I wonder!

Comment

Awesome! My mom went to Castle High in Kaneohe. Why do you have so many Texans in the neighborhood, I wonder!
                      I live in Kaneohe and my daughter attends Castle High. We moved to Hawaii from Corpus Christi in 2002 (daughter was born in Lubbock). I had lived here many years ago when I went to grad school at UH. I, too, miss Tex-Mex food but have found a few places that are decent...including one right in Kaneohe (even though it is not Tex-Mex).

Comment

I don't know why but there are at least 2 families that I know of and one that moved in July. What restaurants do you like in Kaneohe - I'm interested in hearing about El Mariachi in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
                          I live in Kaneohe and my daughter attends Castle High. We moved to Hawaii from Corpus Christi in 2002 (daughter was born in Lubbock). I had lived here many years ago when I went to grad school at UH. I, too, miss Tex-Mex food but have found a few places that are decent...including one right in Kaneohe (even though it is not Tex-Mex).
                          Wooow! Small world!

Comment

Went and got the chocolate on Sunday plus some other items. Let's just say Sunday was a Mexican food fiesta in my home! Got to make foods like my grandmothers....delicioso!

Comment

Originally posted by OahuGirl View Post
                              Went and got the chocolate on Sunday plus some other items. Let's just say Sunday was a Mexican food fiesta in my home! Got to make foods like my grandmothers....delicioso!
                              Awesome!!! Where'd ya get it? I hope you can find good tamales there-- either that or I hope you have an army to help you make them!

-Shen

Comment

Working...
                              X