Aloha Shoyu... a low sodium story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha Shoyu... a low sodium story.

I accidentally grabbed the low sodium Aloha Shoyu. I was so excited to finally find a bottle that I grabbed the wrong half gallon, which I discovered only after making it home. I figured it'd be Ok and that I really wouldn't notice. (plus, as a girl who's food intake consists mostly of the things listed on the 'heart failure' warning lists... I could maybe stand to go a little 'low' sometimes!)

Expecting to be greeted by the rich and nutty smell that I hold so dear to my heart, I found myself gasping for fresh air when, upon opening said Shoyu vessel, I was assaulted by a strange, buttery scent. Nothing says 'Ono' like the chemical laced smell of butter laced with traces of vinegar.

It tastes... odd...

But i'm too far in to turn back!

-shen

Re: Aloha Shoyu... a low sodium story.

Some may cringe at this admission, but I always use low-sodium Aloha Shoyu. It's a childhood affliction, really.

My family is prone to high blood pressure, so I was raised on the stuff. For me, low-sodium is the norm.

In fact, many types of shoyu, especially the likes of Kikkoman are WAY too salty for me. I don't know if that makes me any less "Japanese," but it's the truth. (I'm Okinawan, by the way, so honestly, I'm not quite Japanese to begin with.)

Comment

The trouble with low-sodium shoyu is that in dishes where I really need a shoyu taste, I just find myself using more of it. In dishes where the shoyu tends to get watered down anyway, such as sukiyaki or shoyu chicken, I like low-sodium shoyu. I always have both in my house.

Donna, Kikkoman is really the best of the everyday-variety shoyus, or at least it used to be (it, too, comes in a low-sodium variety; look for the green cap), because it used to have MSG, which Aloha and Yamasa never had. MSG is not necessarily the bad guy we all grew up being told it was, and there's no doubt in my mind that it makes things taste better.
      Last edited by scrivener; January 9, 2008, 02:17 PM.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

We've touched on preferred shoyu brands before... but as to "low sodium" varieties? Yuck!

I'm intrigued that Donna uses it, traditionally. More evidence that what you're raised with really determines the "standards" your palate expects or prefers. Because I find "low sodium" shoyu to be horrid, and fundamentally pointless. If you don't want the salty taste, that brewed smokeyness, that perfect shoyuness of shoyu... just don't bother!

Interestingly, during our trip to the Big Island, the vacation rental we stayed at had low-sodium shoyu in the pantry (low sodium Kikkoman, in fact, in the green cap). Concerned for high blood pressure as we sometimes are, we figured, "Why not?" We also didn't have sugar (for that traditional shoyu/sugar/ginger sauce), so we figured a less salty shoyu may make up the difference.

It was, hands down, the worst dish ever cooked up in our family this year. It reaffirmed our love of "real" shoyu. For my health, I'll be using less of it, but... like low-sodium spam or other "healthier" varieties of the delicious stuff that'll kill you, low sodium shoyu just doesn't make sense in our household.

Comment

We only use Aloha Shoyu, though once in a while we will buy Club. Both hubby and I grew up with those two brands and we never did deviate.

I only buy L/S.

pax

Comment

I agree, it's what you've been raised on. pzarquon, my experience was so similar to yours... that innocent idea that 'it couldnt hurt'! (Oh, but it did!)

Originally posted by Donna View Post
            (I'm Okinawan, by the way, so honestly, I'm not quite Japanese to begin with.)
            Okinawa, Cool!

Comment

If something is salty then I'll use less of that ingredient. Its the same with concentrated soap, just dilute it. Diluted soap taste so good too!

Comment

depending on what is cooked, the fam uses either Yamasa, Aloha, or Silver Swan. Never low sodium. Cooking something bland merits suicide in my house.
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Regular Aloha Shoyu.

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Gotta be Aloha or nothing. I don't like the taste of Kikkoman.
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                      Gotta be Aloha or nothing. I don't like the taste of Kikkoman.
                      co-sign. BK's and McD's portuguese sausage breakfasts are neck and neck only because BK gives out Kikkoman. They should use Aloha like McD's for the win.
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X