Tropic'aina, in Punalu`u

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropic'aina, in Punalu`u

This all started in the Disappearing Establishments thread, but since Tropic'aina is a new place and not one that "disappeared", I started this new thread, but tried to include quotes from the other one. (Whew.)

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Thanks for posting those, Beau. I've eaten there under its various names over the years, but haven't been to the newest incarnation yet. That'll move higher up on my To Do list!
    And so it did. I had lunch at Tropic'aina today.

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    I was just going to ask what was now located at this that Punalu'u locaton. When I lived out that side way back when, it was Paniolo Cafe, then a popular stop for Harley riders circling the island.
    Before that it was called Holomea, then Paniolo Texas Cafe, then Ahi's, and now Tropic'aina. I didn't go to Holomea, but did go to all the other incarnations of it.

I'd like to hear more about Tropicaina (is that spelling correct?). What's on the menu? Is it good? If so, perhaps on my next drive out N. Shore I'll stop by.
    Oh yes, it's good! More to follow, below.
    And it's only 15 miles beyond Windward Mall in Kaneohe (using a well-known reference point). 15 gorgeous miles, that reminded me again Lucky We Live Hawai`i. Drove through Kahalu`u, past Kualoa, through Ka`a`awa, around Kahana Bay, and Tropic'aina is just a mile or so past there.

Originally posted by Beau View Post
    Hmm...being biased of course because my friend owns the restaurant, I would say the food is pretty good. They offer mostly American Style Continental Cuisine (and some asian fusion stuff). Things like crab cakes, taro fried chicken.
    The menu lists:
    PUPUS: Fried Calamari, Wings, Thai Chili Wings, Buffalo Wings, Jalapeno Poppers, a platter of mixed wings, and Sauteed Garlic Mushrooms.
    SALADS: Crab Cake Salad, Thai Shrimp Salad, Garden Salad, Taro Chicken Salad, and a Fish Salad.
    SEAFOOD: Island CrabCakes, Catch Of The Day, Garlic Shrimp, Sweet Chili Shrimp, Coconut Shrimp, Fried Shrimp, Shrimp 'N Turf Plate, Fish 'N Turf Plate, and Fish 'N Chips.
    AND MORE: Grilled Steak, Kalua Pork & Cabbage, Loco Moco, 1/2-pound Burger, Kalua Pork Sandwich, Fish Sandwich, Veggie Burger, Crab Cake Sandwich, Shrimp Sandwich, and Chicken Sandwich.
    PLUS: Fresh Whole Coconut, Fresh Pineapple Half, and desserts are various pies from Ted's Bakery.
    LIQUID: Their liquor license is pending, so BYOB. They've got all the usual non-alcoholic stuff, and some ono smoothies too.

When I go to a place for the first time I always start with the basics (and I have pretty simple tastes anyway), so I had the 1/2-pound cheeseburger and fries, with a mango smoothie. It was wonderful!!! Definitely above average. The folks sitting closest to me had the crabcakes and they were extremely pleased with them.
    And I've got to say that the staff were terrific too. All of 'em!
    They've got a website at http://www.tropicainahawaii.com , but so far it's just a single page. Beau, please ask them to post the menu there, and nowhere on the website, menu or grounds do they list their hours of operation! Adding that would be most helpful too. (They told me it's 11am to 8:30pm, seven days a week.)

However, what is breathtaking are the grounds, which my friend has extensively renovated. In the back area, they have cut down the trees so now there's a panaromic view of the mountains. And in part of the front area of the restaurant there is now a fresh water pond. My friend has also landscaped with thousands of plants. I would say it's definitely worth it to stop by and check the place out.
    And don't forget the birds!
    I took 16 photos, inside and out, today.
    And I finally decided to try using Photobucket, so I hope the photos at this link work. Click on each photo there to enlarge it. (Feedback appreciated, please. I hope it works!)

Here's a couple of teasers from that page:

Last edited by LikaNui; January 6, 2008, 07:07 PM. Reason: Because I wanted it to be good for everyone, dass why.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Tropic'aina, in Punalu`u

We are SO going here! Wow! Mahalo LikaNui for all those fantastic photos and review! I fell in love with the place just looking at the photos.

This all started in the Disappearing Establishments thread, but since Tropic'aina is a new place and not one that "disappeared", I started this new thread, but tried to include quotes from the other one. (Whew.)

And so it did. I had lunch at Tropic'aina today.

Before that it was called Holomea, then Paniolo Texas Cafe, then Ahi's, and now Tropic'aina. I didn't go to Holomea, but did go to all the other incarnations of it.

Oh yes, it's good! More to follow, below.
    And it's only 15 miles beyond Windward Mall in Kaneohe (using a well-known reference point). 15 gorgeous miles, that reminded me again Lucky We Live Hawai`i. Drove through Kahalu`u, past Kualoa, through Ka`a`awa, around Kahana Bay, and Tropic'aina is just a mile or so past there.

The menu lists:
    PUPUS: Fried Calamari, Wings, Thai Chili Wings, Buffalo Wings, Jalapeno Poppers, a platter of mixed wings, and Sauteed Garlic Mushrooms.
    SALADS: Crab Cake Salad, Thai Shrimp Salad, Garden Salad, Taro Chicken Salad, and a Fish Salad.
    SEAFOOD: Island CrabCakes, Catch Of The Day, Garlic Shrimp, Sweet Chili Shrimp, Coconut Shrimp, Fried Shrimp, Shrimp 'N Turf Plate, Fish 'N Turf Plate, and Fish 'N Chips.
    AND MORE: Grilled Steak, Kalua Pork & Cabbage, Loco Moco, 1/2-pound Burger, Kalua Pork Sandwich, Fish Sandwich, Veggie Burger, Crab Cake Sandwich, Shrimp Sandwich, and Chicken Sandwich.
    PLUS: Fresh Whole Coconut, Fresh Pineapple Half, and desserts are various pies from Ted's Bakery.
    LIQUID: Their liquor license is pending, so BYOB. They've got all the usual non-alcoholic stuff, and some ono smoothies too.

When I go to a place for the first time I always start with the basics (and I have pretty simple tastes anyway), so I had the 1/2-pound cheeseburger and fries, with a mango smoothie. It was wonderful!!! Definitely above average. The folks sitting closest to me had the crabcakes and they were extremely pleased with them.
    And I've got to say that the staff were terrific too. All of 'em!
    They've got a website at http://www.tropicainahawaii.com , but so far it's just a single page. Beau, please ask them to post the menu there, and nowhere on the website, menu or grounds do they list their hours of operation! Adding that would be most helpful too. (They told me it's 11am to 8:30pm, seven days a week.)

And don't forget the birds!
    I took 16 photos, inside and out, today.
    And I finally decided to try using Photobucket, so I hope the photos at this link work. Click on each photo there to enlarge it. (Feedback appreciated, please. I hope it works!)

Here's a couple of teasers from that page:

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Glad you had a great time Likanui! I mentioned this in the Lan Vo thread (were I got scoldings from Auntie Lynn for revealing too much, LOL)

Aren't the grounds nice?

Comment

Nice review. Now I'm thinking of taking some visiting friends there this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          We are SO going here! Wow! Mahalo LikaNui for all those fantastic photos and review! I fell in love with the place just looking at the photos.
          Thanks. I'll be going back often too! I think I'll work my way through each item on the menu.
          And then start over again.
          And the prices were very reasonable too! I forgot to mention that. [/slapping self in the head]

Originally posted by Beau View Post
          Glad you had a great time Likanui! I mentioned this in the Lan Vo thread (were I got scoldings from Auntie Lynn for revealing too much, LOL) Aren't the grounds nice?
          The former owners had been trying (sort of) to take care of the grounds, but didn't do so well. Now, it looks great! And it's nice that they're still making that beautiful back area available for private parties. That was one of the first things I asked them about.
          And Beau, please remember to ask them to add the menu and the hours to their website. More photos, too. The website could be a valuable marketing tool for them.
          Do they have any plans for opening for breakfast on weekends?

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
            Nice review. Now I'm thinking of taking some visiting friends there this weekend.
            Thanks. And don't "think" about it -- plan on doing it for sure. I'll be looking forward to your report (and Pomai's too).

Comment

Adding to my list of lunch places to check out next time I work on the Windward.
              Bloggin my way to the big time

http://skeetsstuff.skeeterbess.com/

Comment

Aloha Everyone:
                I did a post review on my blog site for Tropic`aina...check it out
                www.HawaiiCoffeeTalk.com/blog
                There's even a video included.
                Last edited by Aunty; January 10, 2008, 06:22 PM. Reason: add more info
                Every day starts with MMM coffee
                www.M3coffee.com
                www.HawaiiCoffeeTalk.com

Comment

And Beau, please remember to ask them to add the menu and the hours to their website. More photos, too. The website could be a valuable marketing tool for them.
                  Do they have any plans for opening for breakfast on weekends?
                  Sorry LikaNui. I would have answered sooner, but I just finished getting in touch with my friend who is back in San Francisco. He said that website is one of those freebie things, and he has to get a more professionally done website in order to add pictures, menu and prices.

I hope I don't get scoldings, but several of my friend's friends (some with considerably restaurant experience) and I (culinary school and some part-time jobs working in various restaurants while in college) strongly discouraged my friend from serving breakfast because, people want their eggs, hash browns, etc., etc., cooked in a gazillion different ways thereby making breakfast service much more difficult than lunch and dinner.

Of course this may change in the future, as my friend called his restaurant today, and he said they were "smashed" with customers today!

Comment

LikaNui & Beau,
                    Thanks for the info! Cyn and I pass by the location usually two or three times a month and we were wondering when the new owners would open. Definitely on our must-try list.

Any chance they'll add ahi poke to the menu?
                    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

I contacted Alan about helping him get a more appropriate web site..but i don't think they think that is important at this time.

Check out my web site www.M3coffee.com
                      and also my blog site www.hawaiiCoffeeTalk.com
                      Every day starts with MMM coffee
                      www.M3coffee.com
                      www.HawaiiCoffeeTalk.com

Comment

Wow, How did I not find this place when I was searching for cool plces to go on Oahu ? Damn....Plus, I'm thinkin'..."Punalu'u ? That's where the black sand beach is...on the B.I."

Silly me.....

I guess I'm going to have to alert the folks on Tiki Central about this one.
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                          Wow, How did I not find this place when I was searching for cool plces to go on Oahu ? Damn....Plus, I'm thinkin'..."Punalu'u ? That's where the black sand beach is...on the B.I."

Silly me.....

I guess I'm going to have to alert the folks on Tiki Central about this one.
                          My friend Alan LOVES tikis, just like you which is why when he saw La Mariana for the 1st time, he wanted to buy the restaurant until he found out that Annette wanted 3 million for it! LOL

There are a few tikis on the grounds close to the restaurant, and knowing my friend, he'll probably add more if he can.

Comment

Lunch today was a Loco Moco at Tropic`aina.
                            Very delicious.
                            But very pricey at $13.95.
                            Fabulous views. My guests and I sat at one of the outdoor tables, and it was gorgeous day to look at the Ko`olau mountains.
                            But still. $13.95 for a Loco Moco?!? I also had an iced tea. My part of the bill came to over $17!
                            The chances of my going back there have dropped considerably.

Comment

Lunch today was a Loco Moco at Tropic`aina.
                              Very delicious.
                              But very pricey at $13.95.
                              Fabulous views. My guests and I sat at one of the outdoor tables, and it was gorgeous day to look at the Ko`olau mountains.
                              But still. $13.95 for a Loco Moco?!? I also had an iced tea. My part of the bill came to over $17!
                              The chances of my going back there have dropped considerably.
                              Whoah! That's highway robbery.. literally! lol I'm afraid to look at what the rest of the menu is priced at! Looks like they still haven't updated their website (no menu).

And I thought Zippy's (a.k.a. Jippo's) was overboard, currently charging $8 for a loco moco at the take-out counter.

Tropic'aina better consider being more competitively-priced if they want the locals to patronize their business. And that demo' is going to be more important, especially for those guys who are isolated way out there, and as gas prices begin to reduce our tourism counts. Look, they already potentially lost your will to return just from the first visit!
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X