Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Chief" at Sundance & HIFF

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/13549037.html

For the first time, a short-film produced in Hawaii is accepted into the Sundance Film Festival.

The movie is about a Samoan chief whose life takes a disastrous turn. This is Chief Sielu Avea's first effort at dramatic acting. Director Brett Wagner says he was confident about the film because of the acting, script and cinematography.

"There's definitely a luck factor as well because they receive 8,000 submissions every year, five thousand of those were short films so that was what we were competing against and it's just a dream come true," said Wagner.

It wasn't easy getting here. There were difficulties shooting at sea, in storms, in moving cars going through Chinatown in the dark.

"All these things are very difficult. But I felt like every day of the shoot, we came away with something that just felt magical. Something that felt like - a gift," said Wagner.
    http://www.chief-movie.com/

Re: A Hawaii produced film make it to the Sundance Film Festival

Fa'afetai lava for that PoiBoy!

Tutusue posted it here: http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...=13367&page=10as both Chief Sielu and the director Brett Wagner will be appearing on the Andy Bumatai show in the coming days.

I'm trying to get hold of the Chief now for a quote for my freelancing gig. He's in demand!

Now, what do you think of TOA on American Gladiator??? Check out the thread in "The Tube" section... If he was a REAL Samoan Warrior - he'd be a soga'imiti (wearer of the traditional Samoan men's tattoo) like the Chief!!! I've been to the Chief's Fiafia Night (Samoan version of a luau) out at Ko'olina Resort and almost all his dancers are soga'imiti!!! None of the girls have a malu (traditional Samoan women's tattoo) though
    Last edited by kiwidiva; January 9, 2008, 04:05 PM.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

malo le soifua suga, faafetai tele lava foi for the link. im really excited about this film! im a big fan of sundance/ifc so i hope the film does well at the festival and makes it to tv.
      love this still from the film

as for toa...hes a fuamiti not a sogaimiti
      Last edited by PoiBoy; January 9, 2008, 06:49 PM.

Comment

as for toa...hes a fuamiti not a sogaimiti
        hahahaha!

im a big fan of sundance
        Me too! What I really like about Sundance is that they will select some of their short films and stream them over the internet for FREE! So you can watch the movie at home without having to travel to Utah.

And if you want to own the movie (and honestly, who wouldn't?) - after the festival, they make some of them available on Apple's iTunes Movie Store for $1.99. For those who don't have an I-pod or an I-Tunes account, some of this year's selections will also be available for Xbox LIVE, the online entertainment network for Microsoft’s Xbox 360, and the Netflix member Web Site.

It's awesome that we will be able to download some of this year's shorts and watch them anywhere in the world - where previously you could only see short films at film festivals. The great thing too is that almost all the money you pay at I-Tunes goes directly to the filmmakers - so they can make MORE great films!

I just hope that CHIEF is selected as one of the films they upload to the internet. I guess it will depend on how the film is received by audiences at the festival and whether it wins any awards. Fingers and legs crossed!
        Last edited by kiwidiva; January 9, 2008, 07:29 PM.
        My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
          [...]I just hope that CHIEF is selected as one of the films they upload to the internet. I guess it will depend on how the film is received by audiences at the festival and whether it wins any awards. Fingers and legs crossed!
          Keep your HIFF eyes open!

I've seen the trailer for "Chief" and it's dynamic. Can't wait to see the film which will be very, very soon, for cast and crew. The local film community is so excited for and proud of Brett.

Comment

Keep your HIFF eyes open!
            Hi T/S thanks for your initial post on this.

I know it'll show at the next HIFF but I was thinking of those who aren't lucky enough to live in HI - I have a lot of friends all over the world who are interested in seeing the film too and I think I-tunes is their best bet!

I talked to the Chief the other night on the phone and he says they are talking about doing a "sequel" to show what happens when his character returns to Samoa! Of course it's in the very, very early stages of pre-production but the recognition of the short will hopefully help it become a reality. He said they still have so much more of this tale to tell and that it was hard for them to keep it down to 21 minutes so that it could qualify as a "short".

I'm EXCITED to see this and hope that they get to collaborate again on the next film.

Don't forget to tune in tonight to see Chief Sielu Avea on Andy Bumatai. The 2 funny men should make for an interesting interview.

Comment

[...]I know it'll show at the next HIFF but I was thinking of those who aren't lucky enough to live in HI - I have a lot of friends all over the world who are interested in seeing the film too and I think I-tunes is their best bet![...]
              I've kept somewhat silent on this subject by choice as I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to be articulate!!! That said...

I just returned from the screening of "Chief" and had an opportunity to speak with director, Brett Wagner, about Sundance, HIFF, iTunes, yada, yada! He asked me to pass along the following info to HTers.

Kiwidiva...for the next year, at least, it's best to tell your friends around the world to keep an eye out for a film festival near them. Sundance accepted films have the option to agree to participate in uploads to the film festival's site and iTunes...and make some money doing so. Upwards of 50%, iirc, choose not to do so because the films will be entered in other film festivals and, hopefully, play the circuit. A film can't do both. "Chief" will go on the film festival circuit.

I don't think I can objectively review what I saw tonight. It's always amazing to me to see the finished product after months, and sometimes years, of involvement. When I receive a script, such as "Chief", I pack it up in a bag with a bunch of paper and pens, a towel, a backrest and head for the beach. I sit by the ocean's edge for hours, reading it, breaking it down and asking my dad for guidance. The emotional involvement becomes so real. So often the end product is so different than what I expected. Not so in this case. My only complaint is that it's too short.

For those of you who eventually see this short film, please remember these words, "He didn't let out a peep", as they relate to the opening scene!

Director of photography is the exceptionally talented Paul Atkins, who contributed to such masterpieces as Planet Earth and The Voyage to Kure...not to mention Trippin starring Cameron Diaz!!!

Eventually the "Making of..." will end up online. That, also, screened tonight and was terrific...esp. the Samoans in a fale...rapping!!! They were great!

Brett will be Andy Bumatai's guest during this Monday's taping, before heading to Sundance on Wednesday.

(Brett...if you sneak a peak in here and I've made a boo-boo please correct it! )

Comment

Thanks again for the info T/S!

"Chief" will go on the film festival circuit.
                Oh, that's disappointing (for purely selfish reasons! I want to have it on my I-pod!!) but it's totally understandable.

it's best to tell your friends around the world to keep an eye out for a film festival near them.
                People that I have told about the film are already looking for it on I-Tunes and on the Sundance Channel! I know, totally jumping the gun!! I told them it at least has to PREMIER at the festival before it will be available anywhere else but the interest is definitely there already.

I watched Chief's interview on Bumatai's show and he didn't mention the film at all. No worries, I'll keep an eye out for Brett's interview next week.

Comment

[...]I watched Chief's interview on Bumatai's show and he didn't mention the film at all.[...]
                  I found that strange as the film was mentioned at the top of the show.

Comment

The ‘Chief’ takes on Sundance

http://starbulletin.com/2008/01/13/f...s/story01.html
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

More in today's Star Bulletin...

The local production contingent heading to Sundance this week is so excited! And, I'm excited for them.

Comment

Thanks for the links! I think I'll try and get tickets to go see the show. Last year it was crazy here and I stayed as far away as possible. Might be fun to go see this one, though! I'm only a few minutes away, afterall.
                        So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

My article for SpasifikMAG.com

http://www.spasifikmag.com/latestupd...n08chiefmovie/

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                            Thanks for the links! I think I'll try and get tickets to go see the show. Last year it was crazy here and I stayed as far away as possible. Might be fun to go see this one, though! I'm only a few minutes away, afterall.
                            Oooooh...goooo, Kalei!!! You probably already saw this but just in case, here is the list of screenings:
                            Fri. January 18, 8:30am, Racquet Club, Park City
                            Fri. January 18, 6:00pm, Tower Theatre, SLC
                            Sat. January 19, 1:00pm, Holiday Village Cinema IV, Park City
                            Tue. January 22, 5:30pm, Prospector Square Theatre, Park City
                            Sat. January 26, 9:15pm, Holiday Village Cinema III, Park City

Most of the time the filmmakers are on hand for a post screening Q&A. If you attend, the "Chief" contingent of filmmakers is great so approach them afterward and tell 'em "Tutusue says 'break a leg'". Even they know me by that moniker. And they'll love your Hawaii connection!

Eldest spawn has several friends attending Sundance. Now, she thinks she might go. We're telling all of them to say aloha to "my" filmmakers!!! "My"...ha! Guess I just feel like a proud mother hen right now!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Oooooh...goooo, Kalei!!!
                              Eldest spawn has several friends attending Sundance. Now, she thinks she might go. We're telling all of them to say aloha to "my" filmmakers!!! "My"...ha! Guess I just feel like a proud mother hen right now!

Boy, it's really busy up in Park City. Busier this year than last. I tried to get tickets but found out that the Shorts are bundled together and tickets are not sold for them. You have to stand in line to see if you can get in or not. I tried that last year and the lines were super long ~ only the first few got in. Not to mention it's been freezing cold up here! I'm going to try and go on Tuesday night. Hopefully the crowd will have thinned out by then.

Did your eldest spawn make it? If so, did she get to see this film yet?

Kalei
                              So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Working...
                              X