Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: American Idol Season 7 (2008)

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    As I've said many times on HT before, I'm not a country music fan at all. But, I'll listen to anything Carrie Underwood sings. Even better is watching her sing. I don't know who's responsible for surrounding her with top notch people (wardrobe, make-up, hair, performance...not to mention her song choices!) but she is definitely the complete package.
    Glad you agree! I picked her to win waaaay early in season 4. Did you know she just won Female Vocalist Of The Year at the CMA awards last week? And she won it for the second year in a row. The girl is on a roll, fer sure. She used to be a bit of the "ice queen" since she was totally unfamiliar with being in front of the camera, but she's turning that around now and seems far more comfortable and outgoing. (LeeAnn Rimes had the same problem and also totally reversed it.)
    And Carrie is just drop-dead GORGEOUS. [/swoon]

Whoever wardrobed Jordin Sparks last night needs to go back to fashion school. Sparks is a big gal and needs to be wardrobed appropriately.
    There you go again, Sue. That was precisely what I thought last night!

I find AI's product and promotional placements to be brilliant. That's one of the reasons it's so financially successful.
    Viewership was 31.7 million last night, which is 1 million ahead of last year. But what I found fascinating and surprising was this item from a story on CNN.com:

"One reason for Cook's winning appeal may be found in a rustling in the show's recent ratings: Viewership for teenagers 12-to-17 for "Idol" was down this season, and the median age of an "Idol" viewer, once in the mid-30s, is now up to 42, according to Nielsen Media Research."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I found this cute picture of the 2 Davids. Excellent competitors, and what a fantastic finale. I liked how they played to very different demographics and different music genres, and were both terrific singers.

However, there was a lot of sadness in my house when Cook's name was announced. I wouldn't let the kids stay up to vote on a school night, and I'll bet that's what caused the vote gap to be so large; but if it had been a weekend night, I think it was still clear Cook had it in the bag. Ever since his performance of Hello, viewers realized he was actually the one. He was clearly the more mature, more ready to produce best-selling CDs, and the one with the more marketable voice right now. He's also an exciting stage performer.

It will be interesting to see if Cook will outsell Daughtry--I think he will in spades. It will also be interesting to see what genre of music they have little David sing, and if he'll have any longevity. I read that they won't have little David's single out until long after Cook's is out. Probably wise not to continue the competition with the album sales like I think they did with Ruben & Clay?

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      As I've said many times on HT before, I'm not a country music fan at all. But, I'll listen to anything Carrie Underwood sings. Even better is watching her sing. I don't know who's responsible for surrounding her with top notch people (wardrobe, make-up, hair, performance...not to mention her song choices!) but she is definitely the complete package.
      I completely agree with you on Carrie Underwood. That girl can sing! Do you remember her singing in Africa w/those children last year (I think it was last year) on Idol Gives Back night? The song was I'LL STAND BY YOU. She has an incredible voice. Simply gorgeous.

I'm disappointed with what Kelly Clarkson did with her last album. She had been my favorite Idol. We went to her concert last fall, and there was just so much screaming and so many lackluster songs from her new CD. Hopefully she has been humbled by the lousy sales and will now take the advice of the people who know the business.

//done with my American Idol rambling
      * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Great Show! I really didn't like how on the previous night they bill it like a championship fight....stupid idea . Cook was the better performer, a well rounded all around singer. He won because week after week he built his fanbase with solid consisted singing and IMO, because he took chances and it paid off.
        "Archie" is a good singer , but a one dimensional ballad singer. By top five I was bored with his style, unlike Cook who I couldn't wait to see 2what he did next, Archie put me off.
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Just a little side note: Jasmine Trias (AI Season 3) will be joining the Society of Seven LV at the Outrigger Waikiki main showroom, beginning June 20th, for a 6-week engagement.

I've been to the SOS LV show twice in the past 2 years, and must say, it's absolutely fantastic and worth every penny. The food is quite good, too.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
            [...]
            "Archie" is a good singer , but a one dimensional ballad singer. By top five I was bored with his style, unlike Cook who I couldn't wait to see 2what he did next, Archie put me off.
            Well said! You put into words what I was thinking!
            Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            Just a little side note: Jasmine Trias (AI Season 3) will be joining the Society of Seven LV at the Outrigger Waikiki main showroom, beginning June 20th, for a 6-week engagement.

I've been to the SOS LV show twice in the past 2 years, and must say, it's absolutely fantastic and worth every penny. The food is quite good, too.
            What? No Lani Misalucha? Can't tell from the article. Lani is an outrageous performer...absolutely amazing.

Sad to read the SOS lost their Vegas gig. Guess that means there's something bigger and better waiting for them. And, I didn't realize Martin Nievera had joined the group. He must've replaced Gary Bautista.

Pomai's right. That show is in...cred...ible!!!

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
              I really didn't like how on the previous night they bill it like a championship fight....stupid idea.
              Agreed, sort of. Kind of a cute idea, but totally the wrong audience for it.

"Archie" is a good singer , but a one dimensional ballad singer. By top five I was bored with his style, unlike Cook who I couldn't wait to see what he did next, Archie put me off.
              Agreed. Archie's voice has a very pure and beautiful tone, but that's all he's got. He'd be okay as part of a "boy band" but he's a decade or more too late for that passing fad.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
              X