Dave Lawrence: Change at KPOI-FM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dave Lawrence: Change at KPOI-FM

Aloha oe, Dave "good brother". I hear June Jones is looking for a little Hawaii culture to get through the tough times at SMU, and maybe Dallas is a little more receptive to the way it's done in Boston.

If I want to know a bunch of stories to the ancient track that was just played, I'll look it all up on the Internet. It's not as if there's going to be "breaking news" in the old music I prefer to listen to, unless it's an obituary.

Lawrence played less music with worse teasers than even Perry & Price. I want to listen to the music. I don't want to be reminded of who's staggering around on tour or who's released yet another remixed CD or DVD concert anthology or who's going to be at a local bar imitating the good ol' days or who's trawling among their children (that they know of) for new set musicians. I just want to listen to the music and be transported back to when I was at the concert or what I was doing (or shouldn't have been doing) when I first heard it played. I actually prefer listening to Alice Cooper's canned memories over Dave's live air.

Here's good advice for classic-rock DJs: Shut up and play the music. Stream the ancillary crap on the station's website.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I'm the exception here. I didn't like Dave at first, but he grew on me. I enjoyed the history, interviews and current happenings/goings on, etc. Our commute home will certainly be less interesting without him on air. We missed him when he went to London and was replaced Ron Jacobs (could be wrong on this) who only played music...boring.

Comment

Too much Dave,not enough music. The ego thing was just too much,though.
        Don't think he'll find another radio gig here,however,as I doubt he could do any other format.Just another mainlander who didn't quite "get it."

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          One problem I have with most classic rock formats is it's just the hits - over and over. Not quite as bad as the "pop top 20" stations, but not that far removed either. It's like being fed chocolate cake every day - at first it's good, but then it's a dull routine.

What I want is a good mix of the classics, deep tracks and newer stuff in the same line. If all I want are the hits, I'll gab my iPod (yes, I finally bought one.)

I think to survive in the iPod world, they will have to mix in some content that won't be on our iPods.

As for stations I liked, there was The Fox, and for awhile in the very late 70s/early 80s was KORL that did some deep tracks. Discovered some cool songs I didn't know I had in my collection.
          This is why I love the format of B97 here in Hilo. DC plays not only the classic rock but also the new stuff once in a while without the classic fluff stuff.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            not forever. i don't know much about the glory days of kpoi, with tom moffatt and ron jacobs and those other poi boys, but i know that for a time in the 70s and 80s, kpoi was an a.m. oldies station and 98rock was kduk. sometime while i was in high school, 98rock claimed the illustrious call letters.
            Aiyah! Not FOREVER, forever, just "forever," as in "kinda long time."

I was listening to KPOI-AM as a little kid with the Poi Boys in the 1950s.

KPOI-FM started broadcasting in the 60s. The format was classic "Album Rock." Really, really, really great station.

KDUK "The Duke" was later 70s, followed by 98-Rock.

This is all from memory, mind you... and I might add that the memory isn't what it used to be.
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I only had a chance to hear Dave perhaps ten or twelve times over the past two years or so. It was mostly because of work and what dominated my listening habits than a reflection on his show. I liked what he did on the air. I never picked up on his self promotion (then again - radio is all about that 24/7 - so forgive me for missing that) and I whenever I did hear his program he did talk about other shows and DJs.

As a radio listener I felt that he was passionate about the music he was playing which goes a long way when I'm not thrilled with a DJ's presentation or voice. He sounded honest and real which also goes a long way. His interviews were a plus to me much like that neighbor island duo Summer Blue and Michael McCartney schtick on KPMW and KEAO who sometimes have three or four musical artists on a show or let one musician stay on the air for almost three hours! Musician interviews are always a hit or miss. You are either interested in hearing what an artist has to say about music or you are not. I have to give props to any Oahu radio station that lets a performer come on a morning or afternoon show for more than five minutes. Kamasami Kong, Michael W. Perry and Ron Jacobs used to do that back in the seventies on KKUA and it was very conversational and good radio. Never dull. Then again. That's just me. As I mentioned earlier, music interviews are not everyone's cup of tea but it's a nice change from the majority of liner card readers on the Hawaiian airwaves today.

I only found out about Dave Lawrence no longer being on the air here today on this forum. Knowing this information - I wish that I had listened to his program more often. It was never a reflection of him. It was more to do with the tight playlist overall of classic rock that the station was doing that kept it from being a preset on my car radio dial. It doesn't in anyway remind me of KQMQ's AOR glory days or KPOI 98 Rock. At least whenever I remember I do catch the syndicated Alice Cooper show in the evenings once or twice a month and whenever I'm in the car late Sunday nights I tune into Little Steven's "Underground Garage".

As I mentioned before - I didn't get to hear Dave Lawrence that often on the radio so most of you on this forum have an advantage over me. Here's to Dave for trying to be different and true to himself wether the audience or management didn't appreciate it. This sometime radio listener did.

Comment

The problem with today’s music radio stations is that they employ a very short playlist; they play the same songs over and over again. There are thousands of “oldies” but the oldies station selects around a 125 of them to repeat for months on end. The album rockers, like KPOI, are better, but can become boring too.
                The short playlist happens because the most successful stations have a recognizable sound. People tune in a particular station because they like that sound and know where to find it. (With all deference to KTUH and its jumble of programs, few people tune to it first.) Station management must control their air sound but they often cannot trust the jocks to do it on their own. Radio jocks are usually bored to tears with the stuff they have to play. Left to their own, they’d start bringing in music from home to brighten things up. The station’s Program Director has the responsibility to keep some sort of control over things and so imposes a playlist of songs often dictating the order in which they are played. As long as the jocks read the ad copy clearly and play the songs on the list, chaos is avoided. Program Directors will tell you that listeners only tune in for ten or fifteen minutes a day, so a short list of songs is not noticed. I think the reverse is true. I can’t listen for more than ten minutes without getting restless.
                I was a bored rock jock for years. When I became a music director / program director I put the record library in the studio – a thousand albums. To make it work I had to hire jocks who knew the music and understood how radio works. Every one of the men and women I hired had previous experience as a program director at another station – that was a requirement. They understood how to project a style, “a sound,” while pulling tunes from a very extensive library. Oh man was it terrific. Was it number one in the ratings? Never. Did we make money anyway? Sure. Did we have loyal listeners? I’ll say. They’d put that station on in the morning and listen all day - with the volume up.
                I could go on, but this posting is probably way too long already.

Comment

Kit Beuret? Whatta blast from the past!!! Welcome to HT. I still remember your story about the infamous Christmas postcard! But, alas, during one of many hard drive crashes that story went...POOF! BTW, to this day you remain my favorite jazz jock.

Not that this has anything to do with Dave Lawrence so I'll stop my thread drift!

Comment

I've only heard rumors about Dave Lawrence so won't repeat them here.

but, in response to Kit - one of the reasons I don't listen to KSSK & some others is their very short playlist. When I lived in SFO for a few years, there was a jazz station there that I kept my radio tuned to always - never turned away from it. Today I still listen to that same station all day at work - only now it's streaming from them. This is over a period of 20 years - its never been boring! I've found that many of the Honolulu stations are very boring. and because many of them are now automated, there is even less personality to the stations. That's why I don't listen to radio very much now.

and please forgive the thread drift...............
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Thanks for remembering the jazz radio days here in Hawaii. I liked Dave Lawrence, because he reminded me of the old style, laid back, slightly stoned jocks that had shows back in the sixties when all that was a part of the lifestyle. Best of luck to you Dave.

Comment

Wow! I know that name from somewhere ... Not sure if it's from KTUH, Oceanic pre-Olelo, or Olelo.....

Originally posted by Kit Beuret View Post
                        [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]The problem with today’s music radio stations is that they employ a very short playlist;
                        Got that right. I'm hoping that someone will wake up to the fact that in the iPod age that strategy won't work anymore. They have to introduce new songs to the listener to stay alive.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                          Yah! I still have an old, original 98 Rock sticker, mint. And I have some veloxes* of their original logo from a piece I produced for them back in the late 70s.
                          ZZ, please check your PM box regarding your 98 Rock sticker.

Thanks.
                          Last edited by mel; February 20, 2008, 07:25 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Comment

This should probably go into a new thread, but it kind of follows since it does involve the "change at KPOI-FM". Has anyone listened to the new on-air person in Dave's slot, Michelle Shockley? I'm finding her a little hard to listen to - too perky for an afternoon drive time classic rock dj, imo.

Comment

I'm giving her a shot, but I agree: She's taking some getting used to. I can't decide whether I like the conversations she has with Dave Hisaka, the traffic guy, or whether I find them annoying. On the one hand, it's kind of nice to have Dave be a person and not just a voice, but on the other hand, just give me my traffic report and get to the music, why don't you?

I will totally give her credit for knowing the music she's playing. She talks about the musicians on the recordings, about famous (and infamous) concerts, and about the histories of some of the bands she's playing. This is the kind of talk I want to hear with my rock and roll.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

For Michelle Shockley, she is stumblin', bumblin', fumblin' over herself. She sounds sooooo nervous. She does know the format and music, but her delivery is shaky.
                                Dave Hisaka, is a fish out of water. He knows rock -n- roll like he knows brain surgery. But in the long run, I'll take Shockley & Hisaka over Dave Lawrence. It's a huge improvement!

Comment

Working...
                                X