Ahi Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahi Recipes

I was at Costco and was going to buy it then I thought, "I don't know how to cook this". I ended up putting it back. Anyone want to share some (non fried) recipes for Ahi, Mahi Mahi? Thanks!

Re: Ahi Recipes

Ahi? Raw and dipped in shoyu spiced up with wasabi! Yummmmmm...

Mahi mahi? marinated in an oil and vinegar type salad dressing and slapped on the George Foreman grill. Simple and tasty!

Comment

I normally stay away from the food threads here, as I am a moderator on a cooking site, and cook for a living, so I don't wanna think about it sometimes...BUT, I LOVE MAHI!

Simply seasoned with s+p, grilled, squeezed with lime juice, and topped with a salsa of granny smith apple, chili pepper(green fresh), cilantro, honey, and a little vanilla...YUM!

Mahi is a very versatile fish and is really user friendly. Don't be scared.
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

Ahi, seared, sliced and eaten with a nice ponzu. Sorry, to me there's a diff between frying and searing. Can also smear ahi with olive oil, sprinkle furikake and broil over a really hot charcoal grill. Don't overcook. You want it to come out like seared ahi. Both are also ono with a kochu jan sauce of chili pepper paste, sugar (honey will also work nicely), rice wine vinegar, green onions and toasted sesame seeds.

Mahi, salt and pepper, pat of butter, some crushed garlic, a teaspoon or so of capers and a slice of lemon, wrap in foil and bake for 20 minutes. Sorry, this is frying, but it's so good because it's homemade. Cut mahi into "sticks", lightly salt and pepper, dredge in egg wash then fine panko and deep fry till golden brown. Serve hot with homemade "tartar" sauce of Best Foods mayo, sweet pickle relish and finely diced onions. You could also bake this, but I never tried it so can't say how it'll come out.

Comment

It is easiest to make those razor thin slices of sashimi when the Ahi is wicked cold, near freezing. To do this the right way, put on freezer for about 15 minutes, take out for 5, then back in for another 15. Use a sharp knife, and cut across the grain of the meat.

Put mayonaise in the marinade whenever you grill it.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Catch and Release... best recipe for survival.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I am in love with the garlic ahi at Uncle's Grill (pier 38). Is it basically a saute in lemon juice, butter, capers, and garlic? I mean, could you go wrong with this approach? 'Cause I've got to try it. I can't afford the fifteen bucks it costs every time I go there.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Thanks so much for the recipes! I will definitely be buying it next time I go to Costco.

Comment

I occasionally sear a few ahi steaks and top with a soy-ginger-shiitake cream sauce brightened with some lime. It's one of Cyn's favorites. Here's the recipe. Don't worry about the sauce being too heavy. Go easy on the soy sauce though, esp if using Kikkoman. The balance of flavors makes this dish a plate scraper (the good kind).
                  "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

All your guys' recipes sound sooooo good. I don't have any ahi or mahi, but I do have a buncha flash frozen butterfish and halibut. Misoyaki butterfish is my favorite, but do you have any other 'local kine' ways to prepare?
                    Lika

Comment

Basque Style:

Fry onions, peppers, and garlic in olive oil. Add whole tomatoes, bay, and a pinch of basil and thyme, simmer. In another pan, fry tuna steaks til done, top with tomato vegetable sauce. Serve with red wine and a crusty baguette. Finish with cheese made from sheepmilk and quince paste.
                      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X