Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For a serious, vegetarian pig-out feast…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For a serious, vegetarian pig-out feast…

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    where do you go? What killer restaurants would you take your date to, if s/he was into eating really healthy/vegan/macrobionic?

Sometimes I like my dinner to be super healthy, and a lot of it. I crave something more than a leafy salad, often requiring me to build-a-meal (I'll take a salad and a baked potato and a side of something else…)

What do you do? Where do you go?
    Scriv mentioned Maharani. We ate there, but not the vegan selections. I can see how their vegan dishes would be just as tasty. Food's pretty darn good, there, but make reservations or go early. Parking is also very limited.

Also, any good sit down Chinese restaurant will have a vegan section in their menu and there are some pretty nice, upscale places in town.

You could also try Pyramids on Kapahulu. Their buffet does feature meats, but I'm pretty sure they have a good selection of vegan meals on their menu or just don't eat the meat at the buffet. Lots of couscous, tabouli, naan bread, goat cheese veggie salads and such. They also have a pretty good rice pudding for dessert. Street parking or the small lot in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittrick View Post
      Well Bento on University/King Street is a pretty good place for the healthier fare.

Ditto on Well Bento. I swear by that place. Of course, their stuff is a little more expensive and they give a little less than when Harris ran the place a couple of years ago, but it's still worth every penny! I love the Zen Macrobiotic plate with a side of Louisiana Setian or Tofu. Mmmm.

Also, last year I read in the SB about a place at Dole Cannery that sells pre-made Vegan dishes. (I wonder if it's still open.) In fact, the food is not even cooked, thereby preserving the nutrients and flavors. It seemed very healthy and I wanted to try it but you had to order in advance and pick up a week's worth of food.

Now if I could just convince someone else to do that, so the next time I fly in I can give it a try...

Comment

Don't forget about these monthly macrobiotic meals...

http://macrobiotichawaii.bravehost.c...entevents.html

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
          Don't forget about these monthly macrobiotic meals...

http://macrobiotichawaii.bravehost.c...entevents.html
          great for cancer patients but oh man it's kinda lacklusture in taste. I grew up eating low-sodium meals because my father had high blood pressure so salt was a no-no at our house growing up.

So when I had the chance to eat macrobiotic meals, I thought it can be as bad as a low-sodium meal. Boy was I wrong. I thought I had gotten used to a meal prepared with no salt. Apparently not as macrobiotic food was pretty bland to my tastebuds.

But macrobiotic meals do seem to inhibit the growth of cancerous cells to the point of remission.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            great for cancer patients but oh man it's kinda lacklusture in taste. I grew up eating low-sodium meals because my father had high blood pressure so salt was a no-no at our house growing up.

So when I had the chance to eat macrobiotic meals, I thought it can be as bad as a low-sodium meal. Boy was I wrong. I thought I had gotten used to a meal prepared with no salt. Apparently not as macrobiotic food was pretty bland to my tastebuds.

But macrobiotic meals do seem to inhibit the growth of cancerous cells to the point of remission.
            I've never had a macrobiotic meal, but based on the fact that I like my food so spicy I'm crying, I probably wouldn't care for it either.

Comment

oxymoron??

how is "vegetarian pig-out" an oxymoron, considering 1)pigs are vegetarians and 2)the only way to get full on veggies is to trough down a ton of 'em?

Thanks for the suggestions; I am going to check it out next time I am in HNL. I wish we had those options here. I crave going to a restaurant that offers hearty soups and entrees along with great starches, like seasoned rices or different breads.

pax

Comment

Re: oxymoron??

down to earth has some pretty good eggplant parmesan (spelling). the mock chicken and chow fun are good, too. some of the sandwiches and ready made pesto is good. you can get dick alguire's (spelling) recipes over there.
                "chaos reigns within.
                reflect, repent and reboot.
                order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I went to Legends (Buddhist) Vegetarian today, again, and I gotta say, "The service is not good, and the food, though tasty, is not prepared with very much care."

By that, I mean that the waitresses mostly ignored me (again), except when they were rushing me to get going at 1:55. While I was eating. I had to ask for to-go boxes while the cashier was pushing my credit card and receipt at me. At least she came to the table? Oh, and I had to box my own to-go entrees (again.). I had on a very nice blouse that I was struggling with to keep sleeves out of the food, avoid splashback, etc,...and the waitstaff just stood nearby watching. A little help, please? I'm having a hard time, here!

The food. How do I say this...."I'm lucky to have such a yummy vegetarian restaurant reasonably near to where I live. "

Ok. Good quality fake meat, just like real meat, has a texture and a grain to it. The chef chose to ignore that and serve 'meat briquets' instead. Here's an example for the carnivores - you have a leg of lamb. You cut into rounds starting at the ankle. Then cook it.
                  Not the best use of a leg of lamb, right?
                  Same with the vegi 'meat pucks'.
                  Does the chef not eat his own food?

Once I got home with my half eaten lunch, I sliced up the fake steak the right way, and it tasted and looked way better! And was chopstick-friendly!

What is up with this place? I want to support vegetarianism, but .
                  Last edited by turtlegirl; January 5, 2010, 03:11 PM.
                  ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                    how is "vegetarian pig-out" an oxymoron, considering 1)pigs are vegetarians
                    Ah, so we now know that PM has never worked in a large restaurant where the plates are scraped into a big barrel to be sold as slop to the pig farms. Beef, chicken, fish, and yes even pork, you name it and a pig will eat it. The slop barrel collects any sort of leftover food or milk product. Pigs are Omnivores (a species that eats both plants and animals as their primary source of food).
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                      you can get dick alguire's (spelling) recipes over there.
                      I used to get all his from Star(?) Mkt. years ago. Good to know he still does it, or at least has more somewhere. I'll check that out. Thanx!
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I wish I had the discipline to be a vegetarian. I love the taste of dead animals too much.

Comment

*bump*

My new favorite vegetarian pig-out is MINI GARDEN!! Best selection of mock meat vegetarian dishes, meatatarian entrees & soups, tofu stuff, and really friendly service too! Try it! They're in the 2--- block on Beretania, makai side, with their own parking lot just past the restaurant !
                          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Now I am hungry.
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X