2008 Legislature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008 Legislature

I gave my testimony in front of the House Finance Committee this afternoon for HB2735 HD1.
    http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessio...B2735_HD1_.htm

While waiting, I heard Mayor Kim of Hilo testify in favor of the Kaloko Housing Program on the Big Island. It was amazing to see County and so many from the Private sectors come together in support for Transitional Housing. If only those on Oahu could be like the Big Island and work together.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

HB2735 HD1 passed with amendments.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Mayor Kim is one passionate Mayor. Even those who didn't vote for him love the guy for his committment to the Big Island.

One thing about the Big Island is it's vast ruralness and the ability to virutally live off the Aina so our homeless population is a very latent one. You could buy an old Chevy Van or a VW Camper van and drive it deep into any of our vast Ohia forests and live there unimpeded by society. With wild pigs abound, fruiting trees and untamed ocean shores to fish, it's not that hard to live off the land.

But we still do have a growing homeless population as rentals are sold to home buyers forcing those on low-income or subsidy support to find alternative shelter for their families. Just this past holiday season I let a family of three stay at my home for a couple of months until they could find another place to live.

Here on the Big Island there are many support agencies that have banded together to help each other. Billy Kanoi (Mayor Kim's second in command) has partnered with many non-profits to share resources and help our needy here on this island.

We need to help those who are deprived because one day it could be one of us on the other end asking for help.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I found this bill deeply perplexing. Especially since it would only cover lands will A or B soils. Take the Big Island for example, there is over 1 million acres in the Agriculture district. 96% of the land is non-prime (c,d,e, u soils). So this moratorium would do little to prevent development in the agriculture district.

FYI, Maui's Agriculture district lands is classified as 79% non-prime, 75% on Kauai and 66% on Oahu.
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
            I found this bill deeply perplexing. Especially since it would only cover lands will A or B soils. Take the Big Island for example, there is over 1 million acres in the Agriculture district. 96% of the land is non-prime (c,d,e, u soils). So this moratorium would do little to prevent development in the agriculture district.

FYI, Maui's Agriculture district lands is classified as 79% non-prime, 75% on Kauai and 66% on Oahu.
            I don't know about that bill in particular. I haven't looked into its background or any testimonies provided about it. But sometimes when a bill is "oddly" drafted, it's drafted that way so the law only applies to a specific area or a specific company without coming right out and naming the area or the company to which the bill applies.

Comment

I paid my very first visit to the Capitol yesterday to sit in as the House Judiciary Committee tried to resurrect HB2999 (see post #12). I got there early so I could look around the building and I liked how the space is laid out around the courtyard with big open walkways on each floor. The view upwards is quite impressive.

The committee room started to fill up a few minutes before 2:45pm. By 3pm the committee was unable to seat a quorum as only the most anti-Second Amendment representatives showed up and the bill died. The room broke out in applause. It was a good day for our constitutional rights. It is also a reminder that citizens engaging the legislators on the issues is imperative. As a gentleman at the hearing told me, "Politicians bury the unorganized."

An interesting side note was the appearance of a snowy-haired eldery gentleman with a beautifully carved cane who distributed copies of the Constitution to committee members and the HPD representative.
              Last edited by glossyp; February 29, 2008, 10:49 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Apparently there is a bill that would raise the amount of merchandise that can be stolen before its serious crime from 300.00 to 1,000. On top of that Tommy Waters bill would downgrade the penalty for assaulting a security guard from a Class C Felony. I haven't had a chance to investigate this further. But on face value, this bill stinks.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                  Apparently there is a bill that would raise the amount of merchandise that can be stolen before its serious crime from 300.00 to 1,000. On top of that Tommy Waters bill would downgrade the penalty for assaulting a security guard from a Class C Felony. I haven't had a chance to investigate this further. But on face value, this bill stinks.
                  assaulting a security guard!!!

Why and what reasoning could make the offense of "Assauting a security guard" deserving of a lesser penalty than it is???

How 'bout that security guard at 500 University Ave. recently?
                  He was almost thrown off a high floor.

Security Guards are hired to do what they can to protect the people and contents of whatever establishment they work at.
                  I think it should be harsher punishment for messing with them/me. Since I do the that job too!

That's terrible legislation!
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

There was segment on KITV about two days ago which detailed Tommy Waters proposed bill. But they didn't post it on their website .I'm going to try to find out out more about this terrible legislation.

I was able to find the segment below :

http://www.kitv.com/video/15454166/index.html?taf=hon

Below is the link to the proposed amendments and bill status :

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/site1/...?billno=HB3041
                    http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessio...B3041_HD1_.htm
                    Last edited by Konaguy; February 29, 2008, 08:55 PM.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Below is testimony I sent to the House Judiciary committee

Aloha,

It is a huge travesty that HB3041 has gotten this far. If this bill passes, Hawaii stores will be open season for shoplifters. On top of that, security guards which are the primary defense against shoplifters, will have less legal protection. Overall, in my opinion, if a shoplifter uses force to commit his or her crime, they should face the full force of the law.

This proposed legislation is another example of Hawaii’s legislature being soft on criminals. Thus the ultimate losers will be all of Hawaii’s law abiding citizens. Who will have to pay higher costs because businesses will have recoup their losses.

As I end this testimony, I listened to Representative Waters talk about fairness when explaining this proposed legislation. He should try telling that to the security guard who was nearly killed by a burglar recently.

Aloha,
                      Aaron Stene
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Rep. Waters also killed the "Karen's Law" bills in his committee. These bills would have allowed for minors who commit heinous crimes like murder to be prosecuted as adults.

Bill information & links

http://tinyurl.com/38ulds

http://tinyurl.com/2ndo45
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mel, I think you'd be interested in this article about Rep. Waters. He has bottled up a lot of important legislation.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

The very good news is the fact HB3041 is dead this session. So thieves won't be able to steal 1,000 of merchandise or assault a security guard and not be charged with a felony for another year.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

It's a busy day for me tomorrow.

Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2008

SB 2141 – RELATING TO PUBLIC HOUSING

Prohibits the consumption of any liquor on any public sidewalk or common area within a public housing project.

Time: 8:30 a.m. Room: 329

Testimony can be sent to HSHtestimony@Capitol.hawaii.gov

HB 1984 HD1 – RELATING TO PUBLIC HOUSING

Prohibits the consumption of any liquor on any public sidewalk or common area within a public housing project.

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Rm. 016

And

HB 2735 HD 2 – RELATING TO PUBLIC HOUSING

Appropriates funds for the contract hiring of at least three full‑time security guards, police officers, or public safety officers with police powers at Mayor Wright Homes public housing complex. Requires a report to the Legislature on the progress of security improvements at Mayor Wright Homes. Effective 7/1/2020.

Committee: Senate Committee on Human Services and Public Housing

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Rm. 016
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; March 10, 2008, 05:15 PM.

Comment

your posting says the security officers would be effective in the year 2020? How could that possibly help matters now? please tell me it was a typo
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X