Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toddler thrown onto freeway

Exclamation Toddler thrown onto freeway

Child's death shuts H-1 from Kapiolani
    Police have shut down the H-1 Freeway westbound from the Vineyard off-ramp and are redirecting traffic to investigate the death of an infant on the freeway. Police are investigating reports that a man threw a 2 1/2-year-old boy child off a pedestrian walkway in the area. The pedestrian overpass is also closed. A suspect has been taken into custody. Witnesses at the scene of the arrest, on Prospect Street, said the suspect appeared to be in his 20s, and was wearing medical scrubs, with the pants cut off as shorts.
    Similar breaking news item at KITV and KGMB (though they say it was a one-year-old and that he "somehow fell"). Not much at KHON. So far, nothing at all at the Star-Bulletin.

Default Re: Toddler thrown onto freeway

absolutely disgusting! incredibly sad...
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

On a psycho-tropical vacation avoiding rehab.

My heart weeps for that poor little baby.

My boss and several people in the office are all stuck in traffic in various parts of town right now. My boss heard about the news from an announcement on the radio. Even the DJ sounded shaken up, she said.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Exclamation Re: Toddler thrown onto freeway

Star-Bulletin checks in with a brief. KITV updates their online article to note that their camera crews saw the suspect being taken in, and mouthing off. My boss on the East Coast, meanwhile, reminds me that it was only a week ago that a man threw four children to their deaths from a bridge in Alabama.

What is wrong with these people? How did they get to be so broken?

Sick, I tell ya...SICK.

I was on the phone with a talent agent who kept putting me on hold because her models were calling in, stuck in traffic and unable to be on time for a (non-tutusue!) audition. Agent told me there was a terrible accident somewhere that was holding up traffic. Thanks to HT I was able to call her back with an update. She burst into tears when I told her the circumstances.

ETA: I bet, had I been sitting in my dentist's chair at the time, I would've witnessed the tragedy. <shudder>
    Last edited by tutusue; January 17th, 2008 at 02:33 PM.

A chilling paragraph added by KITV with its last update: "Police said they are not sure where the infant came from, and they are checking local day care facilities in the area to see if anyone is missing a child."

Quote Originally Posted by Adri View Post
    What is wrong with these people? How did they get to be so broken?
    Seriously....

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    A chilling paragraph added by KITV with its last update: "Police said they are not sure where the infant came from, and they are checking local day care facilities in the area to see if anyone is missing a child."
    My BF has a 2 1/2 year old son, and because his ex-wife and son live in the vicinity, after reading this I just had to make sure the boy is okay.

Thankfully he is, and he's safe with his grandma.

And I thought I heard everything. That is incredibly horrific

I posted this on the clogged freeway thread, but:

My husband was on theBus from Hawaii Kai and I called him to ask where he was; he was miffed because the driver had changed the route, without telling the riders, but when I told him what happened, he understood why the route was changed. He asked me to hug the girls tight tonight.

What a horrible thing to do. And last night's brutal fatal beating in Kailua?
    Call me cold and heartless, but if you consider killing someone, why not just do yourself in instead? I just don't get it.

And now we learn that this child might not have even belonged to the man who threw him? that they are taking head counts at area child care facilities? I thought this person was young to be a dad. totally tragic. My heart aches.

Why?! Why would someone do this?
    F*&%!

I feel sick.

A sad situation indeed.

Just a note to anyone who peeks at the C&C traffic cams before heading home -- they're not showing the latest images. I just got back to Kaimuki from Downtown and the westbound lanes of the freeway through Prospect are still a parking lot.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

I heard this on the radio coming home from Costco around noonish, but all they said was there was an infant fatality and that H-1 westbound at Vineyard was closed, including the pedestrian bridge. I felt kinda sick and I lost my appetite.

I turned on the TV around 2pm where they newsguy had just started talking about it and they showed the suspect who yelled something in the camera. My first thought was he was like an escapee from a mental hospital, but uh, well, yeah...

Here's the video.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

The really sad part is that at 2-1/2 years of age, that child is very much aware of the situation being presented. That kid should bave been walking and have had limited vocabulary. Not as much of an infant but a cognizant toddler aware of his/her surroundings...you know...a preschooler.

Back in the 80's there was an automobile accident on the H-1 freeway Ewa bound in the left lane across from the Bishop Museum. A car had stalled and was struck from behind turning that stalled car into an inferno. The father was able to get out, but he couldn't get his son screaming for help (he was five years old) out of the car. The boy was pinned inside the vehicle. All the father could do was watch his little boy burn to death as they both screamed for help.

Many years later you could still feel your car tires rumble over the buckled asphalt caused by the burning car. Everytime I ran over that spot and felt the rumble, I cried for the father who to this day has to live with that loss. Thank God that area was repaved although I still cry when I think about it. Being a father of many boys, I love every one of them and shudder when I read or remember these things.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; January 17th, 2008 at 03:33 PM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

A Baby was thrown off a bridge today.

Hawaii waits together on Why?

The suspect was arrested.

A horrific, demonic and monstrous murderous act committed without reason.

As soon as I heard, I grabbed Antonio and cried. I hugged him tightly. My tears flows for the babe who died and for Hawai'i nei. The sadness engulfs my whole being. I am lost for words...how can such a thing happen to an Angel?

Babies and Children are so very precious.

They look to us for protection and care. They love, laugh, run, giggle, do all the little things dat keiki does.

Yeah. They're KIDS!!

Our Kids!!!

Ahhhhh...my little one.

Imagine.

How can something so evil happen in our place of Love and ALOHA?

A BABE.

Rest in Peace Baby...Rest in Peace. You're with Jesus now.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
    [...] I thought this person was young to be a dad.[...]
    You'd think so but not really, unfortunately. I see so many very young fathers (mom's, too) both in my business and at home in Makaha. I've been friends with a large local family for years. The matriarch is one or 2 years younger than I and has 3 or 4 great-grandkids; the oldest will be 10 this year! According to their family statistics she could easily become a great-great-grandma before turning 70.

This murderous act kinda makes me wonder if the suspect is/was a Kekela ward patient as Queens isn't very far from the "scene". Plus, he was wearing scrubs.

Anyway...

Interesting to watch the story evolve as more information is gathered and verified. Now the gender of the child is unclear, and at least one report asserts that it's not known whether the child was killed in the fall or beforehand. The suspect remains unidentified, but probably not for long. Hell, part of me thinks I've seen the guy around.

More distressing is that, so far as anyone is saying, the victim is still unidentified. Unless the suspect was a primary caregiver, it's hard to imagine someone not raising a panic within minutes, or a few hours. I'm hoping the police have information and are just not releasing it (not uncommon with minors, or high-profile cases), and that there aren't more victims out there...

Is it something in the air?

We got a domestic violence in Kailua yesterday that ended up with a girl beaten to death with a rifle or shotgun.

Now we got an alleged patient throwing a child onto a busy freeway to his or her death.

I usually suspect at this time of the year or February for fights to break out at Farrington High or Kalakaua Intermediate, but this is ... totally off the chart.

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
    My husband was on theBus from Hawaii Kai and I called him to ask where he was; he was miffed because the driver had changed the route, without telling the riders, but when I told him what happened, he understood why the route was changed. He asked me to hug the girls tight tonight.
    I wonder how many frustrated drivers out there are quick to change their tune when they hear of this horrific incident.

How many haven't?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Is it something in the air?

We got a domestic violence in Kailua yesterday that ended up with a girl beaten to death with a rifle or shotgun.

Now we got an alleged patient throwing a child onto a busy freeway to his or her death.
    Also, in Chinatown this morning.
    Victim unconscious following assault on Hotel Street
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...584230716.html

Drugs?

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    Also, in Chinatown this morning.
    Victim unconscious following assault on Hotel Street
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...584230716.html

Drugs?
    Or drunks.

Any latest words on the ID of the baby boy?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast