We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Re: Toddler thrown onto freeway

The really sad part is that at 2-1/2 years of age, that child is very much aware of the situation being presented. That kid should bave been walking and have had limited vocabulary. Not as much of an infant but a cognizant toddler aware of his/her surroundings...you know...a preschooler.

Back in the 80's there was an automobile accident on the H-1 freeway Ewa bound in the left lane across from the Bishop Museum. A car had stalled and was struck from behind turning that stalled car into an inferno. The father was able to get out, but he couldn't get his son screaming for help (he was five years old) out of the car. The boy was pinned inside the vehicle. All the father could do was watch his little boy burn to death as they both screamed for help.

Many years later you could still feel your car tires rumble over the buckled asphalt caused by the burning car. Everytime I ran over that spot and felt the rumble, I cried for the father who to this day has to live with that loss. Thank God that area was repaved although I still cry when I think about it. Being a father of many boys, I love every one of them and shudder when I read or remember these things.
      Last edited by craigwatanabe; January 17, 2008, 02:33 PM.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

A Baby was thrown off a bridge today.

Hawaii waits together on Why?

The suspect was arrested.

A horrific, demonic and monstrous murderous act committed without reason.

As soon as I heard, I grabbed Antonio and cried. I hugged him tightly. My tears flows for the babe who died and for Hawai'i nei. The sadness engulfs my whole being. I am lost for words...how can such a thing happen to an Angel?

Babies and Children are so very precious.

They look to us for protection and care. They love, laugh, run, giggle, do all the little things dat keiki does.

Yeah. They're KIDS!!

Our Kids!!!

Ahhhhh...my little one.

Imagine.

How can something so evil happen in our place of Love and ALOHA?

A BABE.

Rest in Peace Baby...Rest in Peace. You're with Jesus now.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          [...] I thought this person was young to be a dad.[...]
          You'd think so but not really, unfortunately. I see so many very young fathers (mom's, too) both in my business and at home in Makaha. I've been friends with a large local family for years. The matriarch is one or 2 years younger than I and has 3 or 4 great-grandkids; the oldest will be 10 this year! According to their family statistics she could easily become a great-great-grandma before turning 70.

This murderous act kinda makes me wonder if the suspect is/was a Kekela ward patient as Queens isn't very far from the "scene". Plus, he was wearing scrubs.

Comment

Anyway...

Interesting to watch the story evolve as more information is gathered and verified. Now the gender of the child is unclear, and at least one report asserts that it's not known whether the child was killed in the fall or beforehand. The suspect remains unidentified, but probably not for long. Hell, part of me thinks I've seen the guy around.

More distressing is that, so far as anyone is saying, the victim is still unidentified. Unless the suspect was a primary caregiver, it's hard to imagine someone not raising a panic within minutes, or a few hours. I'm hoping the police have information and are just not releasing it (not uncommon with minors, or high-profile cases), and that there aren't more victims out there...

Comment

Is it something in the air?

We got a domestic violence in Kailua yesterday that ended up with a girl beaten to death with a rifle or shotgun.

Now we got an alleged patient throwing a child onto a busy freeway to his or her death.

I usually suspect at this time of the year or February for fights to break out at Farrington High or Kalakaua Intermediate, but this is ... totally off the chart.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                My husband was on theBus from Hawaii Kai and I called him to ask where he was; he was miffed because the driver had changed the route, without telling the riders, but when I told him what happened, he understood why the route was changed. He asked me to hug the girls tight tonight.
                I wonder how many frustrated drivers out there are quick to change their tune when they hear of this horrific incident.

How many haven't?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  Is it something in the air?

We got a domestic violence in Kailua yesterday that ended up with a girl beaten to death with a rifle or shotgun.

Now we got an alleged patient throwing a child onto a busy freeway to his or her death.
                  Also, in Chinatown this morning.
                  Victim unconscious following assault on Hotel Street
                  http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...584230716.html

Drugs?

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                    Also, in Chinatown this morning.
                    Victim unconscious following assault on Hotel Street
                    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...584230716.html

Drugs?
                    Or drunks.

Comment

Any latest words on the ID of the baby boy?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        This murderous act kinda makes me wonder if the suspect is/was a Kekela ward patient as Queens isn't very far from the "scene". Plus, he was wearing scrubs.
                        I looked at the Advertiser website just before logging onto HT, and there was a Breaking News item quoting a statement issued by Queens saying neither the suspect nor the child were patients there. But... I went to find that again just now so I could link to it here, and it's been removed from the Advertiser website. I'm guessing their first statement may have been incorrect.
                        KITV news had a bunch of info about the suspect, Matthew Higa. He was a Roosevelt grad. I don't recall the rest of it (other than some Pizza Hut employees had filed a TRO against him), but the video is up on KITV's website now.
                        We've all heard stories about how even prison inmates feel child molesters/child killers are scum of the earth, so I imagine Matthew Higa will... have an uncomfortable time.
                        Dare I say, "well deserved."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          Or drunks.
                          Nah. I was there the night before. There's a Territorial War in Chinatown brewing and it's gonna get worse.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

KHNL posted the Queen's statement, too.

Matthew Higa, Roosevelt. If it's the same Matthew Higa as the one noted in these Board of Education minutes, he was a member of the 2004-2005 Hawaii State Student Council.

Comment

Hmmm...let's say Higa turned 23 in 2007 making his birth year 1984. That would put him at 20 in 2004. A bit old for a high school senior but not impossible, I guess. Or, maybe my lack of math skills is really showing!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                                KHNL posted the Queen's statement, too.

Matthew Higa, Roosevelt. If it's the same Matthew Higa as the one noted in these Board of Education minutes, he was a member of the 2004-2005 Hawaii State Student Council.
                                Hmmm ... according to all other accounts, Matthew Higa is a 2002 grad of Roosevelt. And, according to the KITV site, he's also listed as 28 years old. So that means he was 23 or 24 years old when he graduated? And what's with the BOE site indicating he was a member of the 2004-2005 State Student Council (provided he is the same Matthew Higa, of course)?

I think there's more info to come.

Comment

Working...
                                X