The 80th Academy Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 80th Academy Awards

The list of nominees for the 80th annual Academy Awards have been posted. The contenders for Best Movie are:
    • "Atonement" (Focus Features)
    • "Juno" (Fox Searchlight)
    • "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)
    • "No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage)
    • "There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax)
    Any thoughts on these or any other nominees? Given the writers' strike, our discussion here is likely to be just as interesting and exciting as the awards ceremony!

Re: The 80th Academy Awards

Slightly off-topic: It surprises me that No Country for Old Men is a Miramax film. I kinda thought the Coens and Weinsteins would always be in it together, for some reason. And it disappoints me that there are no Weinstein pictures on this list. Gotta check out the rest of the ballot later.
    Last edited by helen; January 22, 2008, 10:55 AM. Reason: fixing tag
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The day I saw Atonement with a friend her first suggestion was to watch No Country for Old Men but it wasn't playing at Ward (I think it was playing at Dole) so we ended up seeing Atonement instead.

Comment

Atonement blew me away. I saw it Christmas eve and went back and saw it the next day. It is probably not everyones "cup of tea".

I saw "No country..." and thought it was allright. Everyone has different opinions.
        n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          The list of nominees for the 80th annual Academy Awards have been posted. The contenders for Best Movie are:
          • "Atonement" (Focus Features)
          • "Juno" (Fox Searchlight)
          • "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)
          • "No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage)
          • "There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax)
          Any thoughts on these or any other nominees? Given the writers' strike, our discussion here is likely to be just as interesting and exciting as the awards ceremony!
          ALL of those movies are depressing/pessimistic, except for the brilliant JUNO! I encourage you guys to see it. The script is brilliant, the cast is amazing, it is sharp, funny, witty, acerbic. Perfect movie. It is surprising, though, that Hollywood would allow a film in which the heroine decidedly chooses against abortion to be highlighted in this way with a Best Pic nomination.
          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

I'm a little disappointed that The Simpson's movie wasn't nominated for best animated feature. That film was way better than Surf's Up....

http://images.art.com/images/-/Homer...C10053426.jpeg
            Last edited by admin; February 20, 2008, 01:41 PM. Reason: Do not embed images from external sites unless it is your own.
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
              ALL of those movies are depressing/pessimistic, except for the brilliant JUNO! I encourage you guys to see it. The script is brilliant, the cast is amazing, it is sharp, funny, witty, acerbic. Perfect movie. It is surprising, though, that Hollywood would allow a film in which the heroine decidedly chooses against abortion to be highlighted in this way with a Best Pic nomination.
              Why would anyone be surprised? 'Liberal Hollywood' supports 'Freedom to Choose' on the abortion issue.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

The contenders for Best Movie are:

"Atonement" (Focus Features)
                "Juno" (Fox Searchlight)
                "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)
                "No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage)
                "There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax)

I haven't seen any of them, so I don't have any thoughts on their worthiness.

Kinda like going to caucus and then being "undecided". HaHa!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Jon Stewart(Even Dave Letterman was better)....Worse host ever! Are the writers still on strike? You could tell by the end he just wanted to go home. That Harrison Ford intro was BAD....actor or car dealership?!!!?
                  Last edited by alohabear; February 25, 2008, 05:29 AM.
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Jon Stewart was no Billy Crystal, but I thought he did fine.

I was surprised that Tilda Swinton won Best Supporting Actress over Cate Blanchett. Cate also didn't win her Best Actress Award, thanks to Marion Cotillard, but she seemed a lock for her turn in "I'm Not There."

I loved that "Falling Slowly" from "Once" won Best Original Song. And I was glad that Stewart called Marketa Irglova back to the stage after the commercial break, when the orchestra prematurely aborted her acceptance speech with Glen Hansard.

"No Country" took home the most statues. It won four Academy Awards, including best picture, best director and adapted screenplay (Joel and Ethan Coen), and best supporting actor (Javier Bardem).

Comment

i watched "Once" by chance and was blown away. i thought it was very well done and the singing was great.

a positive review of the movie can be found here (new york times):

http://movies.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/movies/16once.html

i'm so glad they won and that they were able to perform a song from the movie...
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

The Oscars should have either no-host or several of them, both of these have been attempted before and I'd dare say the ratings were better. However, with 500 channels to chose from today, maybe not.

Meanwhile I'll gladly sit and watch the old Oscar telecasts I have with Johnny Carson, Jack lemmon, Bob Hope and others hosting.

Aj

Comment

I loved that "Falling Slowly" from "Once" won Best Original Song. And I was glad that Stewart called Marketa Irglova back to the stage after the commercial break, when the orchestra prematurely aborted her acceptance speech with Glen Hansard.
                          I'm kinda lazy tonight and my computer screen seems on the brink of shutdown, but did "Once" ever play in Honolulu?

[I also tried to do a multi-quote with Shaveice's repsponse, but it didn't seem to work. Boy, my screen is flickering!]

Comment

Working...
                          X