Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maui Dream Day

Originally posted by nkth View Post
    I can't believe that I passed on sunrise last time I was there! I was with a friend who made "Club" with Oracle, and they PAID for an activity a day. Instead of taking them up on those activities, I spent my days lounging on the beach and kayaking. I must say that the kayaking was great. Right up there next to sea turtles and all.

Will definitely wake up for the experience.
    GET UP REEEAAAALLLL early!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      GET UP REEEAAAALLLL early!
      Well I often times don't go to bed until 3 or 4 am, so I guess I'll pull an all-nighter instead

Yeah, with everyone stressing the "EARLY" seems as if you all know me, and how I sleep 'til noon.
      NO RAIN NO RAINBOWS

Comment

Pool`s Of Ohe`o, part of the Haleakala Nat`l Park. FYI, 10 years ago you could drive past the pool`s and continue on to upper Ulupalakua (the winery) . No longer after the earthquake that hit the Islands.
        This drive was an all day affair. To kill to birds with one stone, I plan the trip accordingly.
        Haleakala Sunrise first, (remember the season) early birds get the worm After That awesome sunrise have a good breakfast, or a lite one for that matter. The drive to Hana usually takes about 2.5 hours or 3 depending!!!
        Like I said you can no longer go completely around, so I would suggest you take your time and enjoy. Keep in mind the local people in Hana are very Nah, it`s just you need to respect the aina. (LAND)
        ENJOY YOU VACATION!!!! FYI, OHE`O POOLS (not 7 sacred) OKAY!!!
        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Pools of O'heo
          http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...41318106GRmSsm
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
            ENJOY YOU VACATION!!!! FYI, OHE`O POOLS (not 7 sacred) OKAY!!!
            Thank you for the correction. Where did I get 7 sacred? Went there in '88 and always thought that's what it was called.
            NO RAIN NO RAINBOWS

Comment

bump

I'm going to Maui on the superferry for 4 days or so for spring break! Yay!! We're planning to be camping as much as possible, as in - every night unless its flooded with rain everywhere. I need y'all's Maui advice. Where is good camping and good (free) sightseeing? Since we're taking my old station wagon, we won't be able to go up the volcano - I'll save that for next time to avoid the wear and tear on my poor old car. We are planning to drive to Hana. Can you drive all the way around? I think I read that the road is 'unimproved', but is is passable? Is it worth continuing the drive around past Hana? Any camping out that way? Is it relatively safe?
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Has anyone camped at Kipahulu or Olowalu?

Also, I'm looking for good (free) hiking trails all over the island. Any recommendations for must-see hikes?

Comment

bump

Please. Help. Every day when my bf gets home he's like "so, what are our Maui plans" and I'm like "aargh!! the nagging!!" If it was me all alone, I would just drive wherever I wanted and stop wherever I pleased, and camp wherever there's room, but the bf wants us to have plans. I could make plans based on the one Maui guidebook I have, but thats really not my style. I don't love the guidebook stuff. I need help! Please.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                    bump

Please. Help. Every day when my bf gets home he's like "so, what are our Maui plans" and I'm like "aargh!! the nagging!!" If it was me all alone, I would just drive wherever I wanted and stop wherever I pleased, and camp wherever there's room, but the bf wants us to have plans. I could make plans based on the one Maui guidebook I have, but thats really not my style. I don't love the guidebook stuff. I need help! Please.
                    OK - I wasn't going to answer - the age gap and all........ and I've never camped in my life. But, if you're looking for cool things to do, pull the map out and break it into 4 parts, 1 for each day. Day 1 - S. Maui. Try to find all the beaches down that way. While not really a hike, try walking the beach along all three Kams. You have to climb a few rocks and sneak across a couple of lawns, but overall a fairly easy walk. Hang out in Kehei for a day/night. It's a nice little (but growing and growing) beach town - but then I'm partial. Go to Big Beach, get something to eat at one of the trucks. Continue on down to Makena and try to hike King's Highway. Be prepared for this one - very hot and dry. Day 2 - West Maui. Head to Lahaina and Kaanapali and play tourist. You don't need money to do this. Walk through town and visit some of the art galleries - Wyland and Celebrities are two of our favorites. The whale museum is fun too. Day 3 - upcountry - Take Haleakala Highway and/or Kula Highway. These are higher elevation, but nothing like going to the summit. Pretty country. Visit the winery and take the free tour. Day 4 - Paia and Hana - black sand beaches, waterfalls and caves - but you have to find them (that's half the fun).

You can no longer drive around from Hana. Well, you can, but you end up back where you started. The road that used to let you end up in Makena (or was it Wailea - way too many years) has been closed for quite a while now. You can also drive around West Mountain, but if your car is a little sketchy, that might not be a good idea. Very winding single lane road and absolutely nothing else. Beautiful country though. You can drive around part way from the Kaanapali side. There's a few trails and beaches up that way. A blowhole, too, that you can hike down to.

All of that is free or very little cost. There's also a lot of historical places you can go for just a small donation. Ohhh, I forgot about Iwo Valley. Another state park with lots of trails (and rain).

I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of anything else right now. Sorry if this sounds guide bookie (is that a word?) but you asked. Hope it helps.

Comment

Aaargh!! Help!! Now our Maui camping vacation has caused a fight between me & the bf!! We never fight about anything!! Help, aaack!! He wants to make a bunch of camping reservations 2 weeks in advance, - but I say, we don't know what the weather will be like, or what these campgrounds look like, or where's safe and where's not, or, well, anything.. so lets wait and see how things go.... Urgh. therein is our dispute. I really need at least a little basic info to help me make some key decisions as soon as possible - please!

Comment

Acousticlady! You are a sweetheart!! Thanks for that info, I'm going to recommend this to the bf, in a little while ... and uhmmm, age difference(??) , whatevas, my best friend is 54, and my favorite lady to talk story with is 82. I bet you're younger than you know!!
                        PS - I'm super proud of you being in school and all ...New York is great, and I hope you love it, but drinks are on me when you come back!

Comment

Four days`s and camping on Maui, hummm:. Check out Maui County Parks and Rec. web for camping permits. Kanaha Beach Park is the only option in the Central area. Not sure about Olowalu, I think its private. Not to many camping places here due to the homeless problem.
                          FYI, you can now drive past Hana without turning around, the road has since opened.
                          Going to S.Maui then stop off at Puu Olai, or big beach. If cannot then Kamaole I.II,III nice beaches.
                          W.Maui, Kaanapali and Kapalua drive, you can drive this route taking you along the nothern tip of Maui bring you back to the Wailuku area. You can then continue to Iao valley.
                          The Upcounty drive is also awesome, As noted the lavender farm is a nice stop off. You can continue your drive either to Haiku or Paia and check out Hookipa Park.
                          Hope this small kine info was helpful and hope the weather is good and you have a good "maui Dream Day".
                          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Our housemate just got back from Maui. He and his companion drove to Hana and past (which is the best part). After that past road, about 30 minutes after Hana is a bridge that may or may not be worth jumping off of. One of my old friends did it a long time ago and said it was an awesome experience. If you go down to the river, pool, lake-thing that's under the bridge, there are some waterfalls there and more within hiking distance you don't want to miss. There's a parking lot there, so I guess it's not hard to miss. Sorry my directions are so vague. I've never been there. Maybe someone else could fill in gaps?

It sounded like a good TG adventure!

Also,
                            Waianapanapa State Park is near Hana and you can camp there. There are hiking trails and old caves to explore, and a black sand beach (oh, and a heiau!!)
                            Hana Highway, near Mile Marker 32, Hana, Telephone: (808) 984-8109. Call early for tent reservations.

I'm sad. I remember talking about the 4 of us going on this trip together. I'm glad you guys get to go, though! (And I'm sitting here in 39 degree rainy weather giving you tips on Maui!)

Last edited by surlygirly; March 11, 2009, 09:17 AM.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

StupidFerry!!! My Maui vacation is RUINED!! It costs twice as much as I had budgeted to fly there and rent a car. And I won't be able to stay as long. And I'll have to miss out on most of the awesome hikes and sightseeing that I was planning. And I'd have to bring 3x less stuff with me. Who wants to camp in Maui without backpack chairs, hammock, snorkel gear, boogieboards, and the cookstove! Not to mention the cooler and food! If I fly there, I gotta buy my food there. I'm so disappointed!

end rant.

hmm, maybe I should have posted this to the Superferry 9 thread...

Comment

Sorry about the ruined vacation. Not worth the expense paying for all the extras on the airlines. Oh well!!! Maybe in the future.
                                bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
                                X