Non-Americans playing Americans in TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non-Americans playing Americans in TV Shows

I am SO glad that this is not a xenophopic thead.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hmm one I can think of is Portia de Rossi who is Australian, she played Nelle Porter in Ally McBeal (ice queen, w00t). But she's often speaking with an American accent outside of her work, even in her interviews she prefers to use it. You can still hear her natural accent come out when she says certain things, though.
      myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

An Aussie who murders an American accent: Anthony LaPaglia from Cold Case
        I just know him from the movie Lantana, an Aussie film, and found out that he had to re-learn his own natural Australian accent for that film.
        Yep, that's how he really talks! He has been away from Australia for a long, LONG time and that's just his own way of speaking now. Although he did do a great cockney accent when he was on Frasier!

Another to add to the list: Julian McMahon from Nip/Tuck. He (like Lapaglia & de Rossi) seems to have lost his Aussie twang for reals - as opposed to "acting" American.

The recent CBS mini-series Comanche Moon featured 2 Kiwis (New Zealanders) and 1 Aussie:

Karl Urban & Melanie Lynskey are Kiwis (she also had a recurring role on 2 and a half men as the stalker/neighbor Rose).

Rachel Griffiths is the Aussie and other than Comanche Moon, she has appeared on the small screen in Six Feet Under and Brothers & Sisters.
        Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
        My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean that of the ORIGINAL shows that were syndicated and not sold to networks, this was the last? Or do you mean it was the last show that was offered in syndication and not tied to a network?
          I should specifically say "original syndicated drama TV series."
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
          X