Super Bowl XLII: Patriots v. Giants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Bowl XLII: Patriots v. Giants

A worthy matchup to cap off a great NFL season, or a snoozer? Which team do you think will win, and which team do you want to win?

Chuck Klosterman says that the game would be more interesting if the Patriots lost:
    The Patriots are the best team. It would be a shame if they did not win. Yet we would care so much more if they lost. If the Patriots win, they will just become this thing that scorched the earth for five months before capturing a trophy that was never in doubt. Future historians will describe this New England team as if it were a machine. Everyone will concede the Pats' superlative greatness, but the 19 wins will be just a collection of numbers. But if they lose -- especially if they lose late -- the New England Patriots will be the most memorable collection of individuals in the history of pro football.
    The Patriots by a landslide.
    7.14%
    The Patriots will fight for their perfect season.
    21.43%
    The Giants will eke out a win.
    71.43%
    The Giants will run away with the game.
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: Super Bowl XLII: Patriots v. Giants

Anyone BUT the Patriots. They're not the '07 Warriors.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Go PATS!!! yeah baby!
      Lovena

Comment

The Giants were lucky to get so close at home in game 18 of the regular season. This one's on a neutral site. New England will likely not cover the 14, but they don't need to. Four Super Bowl wins this decade for the Patriots.

Comment

Patriots: looking more vulnerable every game down the stretch. If Gianys knock Brady out of the game, this one is over because NE's backup is terrible. Cassel was so bad that even though he was supposed to play in garbage time on more than one occasion, he was sent back to the bench and Brady was put back in.

Giants: Lowest seed at #5 coming into the playoffs. All 3 playoff wins on the road to get to the Super Bowl. Tampa Bay, Dallas and Green Bay were all sent packing for the offseason on their home fields by the G-men. This team was toxic last year, and I have no idea what they did to get better, but if they lose to NE it'll be a sad ending to a dream season.

If Seattle had won their game with Green Bay, the G-Men would have faced Seattle in Seattle for the NFC Championship, and it wouldn't have been the G-men who would have gone to the Super Bowl. The Giants owe the Seahawks, because they played at Lambeau instead heh.

My prediction: Giants 31, Patriots 28...game winner by Tynes who will probably miss a few to keep it a close game. Giants D will try to make Brady scramble on that high ankle sprain and he'll have problems.

Comment

We always write up a quiz for Super Bowl with questions like Who will score first? What Beer Commercial will be first? How many fumbles total in game? etc etc. It's great for people with little or no football acumen.

I took the Giants over Green Bay, and cleaned up. I think the Giants will surprise the Pats. Brady ain't healthy. And just look at those receivers on the Giants.....Toomer, Burress, Smith....sheesh !

I'm gonna eat 3 times, with extra dessert.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Where's the I don't care option? I waiting for the Daytona 500 baby February 17,2008
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Geez. The "I Don't Care" option was not clicking on the thread title.

I take my SuperBowl picks very seriously, which is why I haven't weighed in yet on this. Most of the time, I make a pick and if I'm wrong, whatever. But I have a GREAT record picking the winners of the big game that goes back to SuperBowl XI (Raiders over the Vikes, baby) and I don't like tarnishing that record.

I was crazy wrong about the Miami-San Fran game (XIV...I really thought Marino was unstoppable), and wrong about both Pittsburgh-Dallas games (one of which coulda gone either way), and wrong about the Raiders-Buccaneers game. So that's four wrong in thirty-one years. Yes, I did too pick the Broncos over the Packers in XXXII!

Then there's the added pressure I put on myself because last year, I said Indy 31 Chicago 19 (final score: Indy 29 Chicago 17), and the year before, I said Pittsburgh 28 Seattle 17 (final score: Pittsburgh 21 Seattle 10 -- I had the differential right).

So here's what I think, 'though I fear my own self-perceived reputation is going down the toilet tomorrow:
                • The best team almost always wins. That's the Patriots.
                • The Patriots are beatable, as evidence by several games near the end there, most notably vs. the Ravens and the Giants.
                • The Patriots, while demonstrating great vulnerability, have still managed to win every game!
                • Eli has been solid, and he's got the weapons, but he hasn't proven himself yet. If you were drafting a team for this one game, would you take an injured Tom Brady or an unproven Eli Manning? Tom.
                • I love those New York defensive linemen, but they are the strength and heart of the defense, and I think the Patriots will be prepared for them, especially with some nice draw plays, screens, and short gains underneath. They're not too proud to play the short game. In a game like this, Brady could go 30 for 34 or some ridiculous number like that.
                • Oh, I soooooooooooo want the Giants to win!

MVP: Brady, of course.
                Best commercial: Pepsi.

So with all that taken into consideration, I offer my unsure and reluctant prediction: New England 34, New York 24. If you're playing the spread, take NY. If you're just picking a winner, take NE.
                Last edited by scrivener; February 2, 2008, 11:26 AM.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The guaranteed winner of this whether or not the game is a close one or a blow-out will be Fox TV network. $2.7 million for a 30-sec. spot? Count each 30 second ad that appears on Super Bowl Sunday.... big money.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Super Bowl XLII: Patriots vs. Giants

Heard Ryan Seacrest's voice while I was in the bathroom earlier. I hope he doesn't make another appearance in either the pregame or regular broadcast to sully my enjoyment of the game.

On our menu today:
                    Texas chili spaghetti
                    Crispy chicken wings with chili lime butter
                    Oregon Honey Beer

Go Giants!
                    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Re: Super Bowl XLII: Patriots vs. Giants

GO GIANTS!

On the menu here:

Chimichuri Marinated Pork Shoulder, slow roasted of course.
                      Honey garlic and ginger smoked wings
                      Sausage with peppers and onions
                      Big BOY grilled potato spears
                      Queso Dip with roasted Jalapeño and caramelized onion
                      Chips and Dips

Beer and Vodka!
                      flickr

An email from God:
                      To: People of Earth
                      Date: 9/04/2007
                      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                        Heard Ryan Seacrest's voice while I was in the bathroom earlier. I hope he doesn't make another appearance in either the pregame or regular broadcast to sully my enjoyment of the game.

On our menu today:
                        Texas chili spaghetti
                        Crispy chicken wings with chili lime butter
                        Oregon Honey Beer

Go Giants!
                        i forgot to tell eric that we also have:

totino's sausage & pepperoni pizza (a childhood favorite of mine; now an irrational adult indulgence)
                        salad greens with marinated feta & greek olives (we do have to eat some veggies today)
                        ben & jerry's steven colbert's americone dream ice cream (vanilla ice cream with chocolate covered waffle cone bits and caramel)

kinda a lot of food for only the two of us but leftovers for the week will be yum!
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                          Oregon Honey Beer
                          This has been my beer of choice lately. Probably won't have any today because I'm working on a project while I watch the game.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

OK, my prediction: 31-24 Pats.

On the menu in my house:

Maple Bacon Turkey Burgers
                            Sweet Potato Fries
                            Fresh Guacamole w/chips & salsa
                            Homemade crab puffs
                            Scallops wrapped in bacon
                            Chocolate Dobash Cake

Come one, come all! BYOB