Small Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Dogs

Anyone recommend a place to get a small dog? I am looking for either a long haired dachsund or a pomeranian. I looked on craig's list but, didn't find any little ones I was interested in.

Re: Small Dogs

puppyfind.com is decent. Just be sure to check references.
    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
    Socrates.

Comment

If getting a "designer" dog is not really an issue, I really would recommend the SPCA. You can cruise dog alley and find a possible candidate and take it to a 20 x 20 private pen where you can let the dog run around, jump on your lap, or just bond with you. Even better, you can read paperwork on the dog and find out it's personality characteristics from the previous owner (likes children, chews the newspaper, sleeps in the microwave, etc....). And of course, they're fixed and up to date with their shots.

We got our pitt bull/boxer mix from there, and I have to admit...he's one of the best dogs I ever had. The staff cried when I took him home, because he's so big, they thought no one would adopt him and they'd have to put him to sleep.

Go visit, you might find a great dog there

DD
      www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by OahuGirl View Post
        Anyone recommend a place to get a small dog? I am looking for either a long haired dachsund or a pomeranian. I looked on craig's list but, didn't find any little ones I was interested in.
        Yeah there's lots of small dogs for sale unfortunately they grow up into big dogs

My cousin's wife had a Pomeranian and it was so high strung it was constantly vibrating (yeah shaking like the dickens) One day someone scared it so bad it died from a heart attack or something like that. Me, I'm thinking a big lazy old hound dog my 4-year old can torture. Small dogs yap yap yap all day long.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

We always get our dogs from the Humane Society — except for the starving puppy rescued from a North Shore ice house where they were eating them — and they've been great. Dogs at the Humane Society are rarely puppies, so you have a good idea right away how big they're going to be and how friendly they are.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Humane Society is a great place to get a pup, but you gotta be fast if they happen to have what you're looking for. You aren't the only one out there.

Not real clear on this, but there's a vet office in Kahala that has a weekly "puppy meet". My wife went there and met a breeder of Maltese, which is the breed she'd been looking for. He showed up too late to participate, but he did get to show my wife his litter. Yeah, she bought one and it hurt. Ah, it was worth it. They make the greatest lap dogs plus they don't shed or smell. They eat little and poops are easy to clean up. Only thing, because they're white, they're hard to get them to stay that way. They do like to wander when you let them out for potty. Like straight into the plants and mud. For some reason, one of our Malts likes to romp in the agapanthis (sp?).....when it's wet.

Comment

Another place to look is at the Hawaii Dog Foundation. They often have dogs that HHS (which does a really great job) can't or won't take for some reason. They just had a darling min pin who had lost one of his legs, but he gets around just fine. The site hasn't been updated for a few days so it looks like he is still available. They told us he had found a home when we called them a day or two ago.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                We always get our dogs from the Humane Society — except for the starving puppy rescued from a North Shore ice house where they were eating them — and they've been great.
                they've been great? As in tasting great?
                Tastes just like chicken! Well maybe not
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'd say SPCA as well but if you're looking for a Breeder, I did a quick search and you could possibly contact this person for Poms
                  -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                    Humane Society is a great place to get a pup, but you gotta be fast if they happen to have what you're looking for. You aren't the only one out there.

Not real clear on this, but there's a vet office in Kahala that has a weekly "puppy meet". My wife went there and met a breeder of Maltese, which is the breed she'd been looking for. He showed up too late to participate, but he did get to show my wife his litter. Yeah, she bought one and it hurt. Ah, it was worth it. They make the greatest lap dogs plus they don't shed or smell. They eat little and poops are easy to clean up. Only thing, because they're white, they're hard to get them to stay that way. They do like to wander when you let them out for potty. Like straight into the plants and mud. For some reason, one of our Malts likes to romp in the agapanthis (sp?).....when it's wet.
                    I've got one too and all I can add is a big Ditto to all. Mine loves the mud. BTW, she's not yappy in the least.
                    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
                    Socrates.

Comment

Working...
                    X