Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nordstrom in Honolulu

Nordstrom’s grand debut
    Nordstrom, which is slated to open on March 7, will offer 210,000 square feet of designer fashion labels for men, women and children on three levels at Ala Moana Center. And shoes -- tens of thousands of pairs of shoes. The opening comes with quite a bit of anticipation, given that it's the Seattle-based company's 103rd first full-line department store, and its first off the shores of the U.S. mainland.
    Nordstrom stepping it up with shoes and beyond
    The specialty retailer has been in the shoe business in Hawai'i for 40 years, running the Liberty House shoe department until 1997, then opening a standalone shoe store in Ward Centre and a Nordstrom Rack store nearby. When Nordstrom Ala Moana opens on March 7, however, its shoe departments — yes, that's plural — will top any of the department store's past offerings. There are five shoe departments, covering one-third of an acre of retail space. Three of those departments, and a similar percentage of their shoes, are for women, since 75 percent of Nordstrom's shoppers are female.
    Hawaii's first Nordstrom store gets ready for Grand Opening
    With 210-thousand square feet of space in three levels, the store plans to have something for everyone. There will be plenty of top of the line designer labels, but also fashions that are considered affordable. The variety is a big draw for loyal Nordstrom shoppers. "It's kind of a place where you feel like you have money whether you do or not and you actually feel like you can afford things," said one loyal shopper, Lynn Cook. While Nordstrom is part of a massive chain of more than a 100 stores, this one is geared for Hawaii customers. Clothing by local designers will be brought in. But loyal customers are more excited about finding bargains from the sale racks.
    Nordstrom Tour Reveals Several Surprises
    "We are really excited to open our first full line store here at Ala Moana March 7th at 9:30 am," said store manager Brian Tatsumura. There are five shoe departments including women's, men and childrens. If you stacked all the shoe boxes on top of each other it would reach five miles high.
    On top of very obedient coverage by the local mainstream media, I see Nordstrom is also pumping a lot of money into online advertising. Seems like I'm seeing Hawaii-targeted contextual ads for Nordstrom popping up on every site I read (including this one!).

Re: Nordstrom in Honolulu

I wonder if Imelda Marcos will come to Hawaii to shop for shoes?
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Wow. 210,000 square feet, eh? That's approximately 70,000 sq. ft. larger than the Iwilei Home Depot.

And more opportunity for my girlfriend to clutter our place with even more shoes!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Clothing by local designers will be brought in.
        Ummm...from where? China? The Philippines? Or is that a retail industry term for brought inside the store?
        And shoes -- tens of thousands of pairs of shoes.
        [...]
        There are five shoe departments
        But...will they carry flip flops? Designer flip flops? I bought a pair of high heel (1.5" heels) flip flops at Liberty House (maybe it was Macy's then) a few years ago. Then I found them at the 99¢ Store in a myriad of colors! They're my dress up shoes!

I doubt my (lack of) passion for shopping will entice me into Nordstrums anytime soon. I have yet to visit Sam's Club/WalMart on Keeaumoku!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          Wow. 210,000 square feet, eh? That's approximately 70,000 sq. ft. larger than the Iwilei Home Depot.
          It sounds big, and it is, but I was surprised to learn that it will also be about half the size of the current Sears store. They don't call them "anchor stores" for nothing, I guess.

The Nordstrom expansion of the mall, reaching mauka to Kapiolani, is a monument to retail excess. One of the news reports made passing mention of "Hawaiian architecture" touches, and I just about lost my lunch. I'm a little more curious about the smaller stores that will cluster around Nordstrom the way barnacles cling to whales, but that's not saying much.
          Last edited by pzarquon; February 2, 2008, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            I'm a little more curious about the smaller stores that will cluster around Nordstrom the way barnacles cling to whales, but that's not saying much.
            That would be a great name for such a store ... Barnacles.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
              That would be a great name for such a store ... Barnacles.
              That business already exists. It's called Starbucks.

They cling to corners like barnacles cling to whales.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm so irritated with the Kapiolani-facing side of the store. They could really turn that passageway into something appealing and worth walking past if they would put some dang frickin' windows there, and maybe even an entrance. I don't know where to get the data, but I would bet that accidents at the Kapiolani/Kaheka intersection are going to increase, because cars moving in the Waikiki direction past that Nordstrom are going to speed right by. Ticks me off.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yet another horrific block of concrete.

It literally makes me sick when I see yet another completely uninspired piece-of-crap joke of architecture being erected in Honolulu. I guess the beige color and complete lack of character is the "Hawaiian Architecture" part of the plan.

C.W. Dickey is rolling in his grave as we speak.

Seems like anything going up these days is either some grotesque tower of fun house mirrors or a windowless bunker-like behemoth.

Sad, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                    Yet another horrific block of concrete.
                    Sad, indeed.
                    Just be thankful it isn't another storage facility, like the one that will soon replace the former Kapiolani Shopping Plaza across McCully Shopping Center.

That REALLY sickens me. Almost as bad as the one built on prime waterfront property on the Hawaii Kai Marina next to the bridge. WT..?!
                    Last edited by Pomai; February 2, 2008, 02:25 PM.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Ummm...from where? China? The Philippines? Or is that a retail industry term for brought inside the store?

But...will they carry flip flops? Designer flip flops? I bought a pair of high heel (1.5" heels) flip flops at Liberty House (maybe it was Macy's then) a few years ago. Then I found them at the 99¢ Store in a myriad of colors! They're my dress up shoes!

I doubt my (lack of) passion for shopping will entice me into Nordstrums anytime soon. I have yet to visit Sam's Club/WalMart on Keeaumoku!!!
                      I've never set foot in a WalMart, perish the thought, YUCK. I know Anne Namba is one of the local designers and while I have lots of her clothes I do know that lots of the RTW is made in China unfortunately, at least she's from here as consolation.

Comment

[...]Almost as bad as the one built on prime waterfront property on the Hawaii Kai Marina next to the bridge. WT..?!
                        Ya know, I cringe every time I pass that facility. Storage? Waterfront? What an unbelievable waste of prime property, imnsho that is! I understand the manager lives on site. I wonder if that unit has a view, at least, or if it faces more ewa/mauka

Storage? Waterfront? Amazing!

Comment

Just be thankful it isn't another storage facility
                          Well, in terms of architecture, there really isn't any difference. It's an ugly building with zero character.

Comment

I'm an engineer. Me? In Nordstrom? The world would implode.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                              Well, in terms of architecture, there really isn't any difference. It's an ugly building with zero character.
                              I agree. Throw some thatch on the roof and trim the exterior in bamboo then maybe I'll walk in that store!

(I know...I know...it'll take one heckuva lot more than that to make it less of an eyesore!)

Comment

Working...
                              X