Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nordstrom in Honolulu

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    I agree. Throw some thatch on the roof and trim the exterior in bamboo then maybe I'll walk in that store!

(I know...I know...it'll take one heckuva lot more than that to make it less of an eyesore!)
    Or paint it brown and orange, and watch as many Waipahu residents come down in droves.

P.S. Yes, manong and manang. I'm making fun of my own people.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I don't care how ugly the store is - I'll happily shop there! I'm so tired of the crappy customer service at Macy's.

Plus, Nordstrom is already contributing $$$ to the community, as is their corporate practice. So is Target (even though their stores are not even built).

Things change. We all loved the wide open feel of the street and all the little shops we were used to. We may not like the look of it but the store is there. It certainly isn't as ugly as Wal-Mart's block or the new Safeway in Kapahulu.
      Last edited by anapuni808; February 5, 2008, 08:47 AM.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I was unpleasantly suprised at how ugly and pedestrian-unfriendly the exterior of the store is. Callison Architecture usually produces better designs than that. I work in the construction industry and have done several projects with them that were all very nice. One of the senior architects in their Nordstrom studio is a big island native (but did not design this project) who undoubtedly will hear some negative feedback from local folks.

Comment

Anybody see the Sunday edition of the Advertiser yesterday? A huge article about Nordstrom's on the very front page, plus another huge Nordstrom article on the front page of the Island Life section!!!
          The Star-Bulletin had nothing.
          Gee. I wonder which paper is selling out their editorial side to benefit their advertising side?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Gee. I wonder which paper is selling out their editorial side to benefit their advertising side?
            Maybe Gannett's solution to the pending strike is to add Nordstrom gift cards to their union benefits package?

I gotta say, Nordstrom is spending a heap of cash in online advertising. Any site that uses Google Adsense (including this one) immediately pegs me as a Hawaii resident, and serving up the "We're coming to Honolulu!" ad. It's almost like being stalked by a tiny billboard.

Apparently there's going to be a 'tailgate' party at Ala Moana starting at 7:30 a.m., benefiting three local charities. I'm not interested in Nordstrom, really, but some of the other shops opening up in the new wing have me at least a little curious.

Comment

I am also mostly disinterested in Nordstrom itself and even most of the stores opening up Friday (except for Williams & Sonoma, which doesn't really count), but I am very interested in the new shape of the mall and what it'll be like to cruise from one end to the other. If this were not a crazy week at work, I'd take a day off just to check it out. Some of my students have said the same thing, but I suspect their reasons are different.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It'll be interesting to see a Nordstrom here vs. one on the mainland. I remember when the one in San Francisco opened. It was a good store and I liked shopping there. I was a sock fanatic and loved their selection, plus shoes and other clothes that were more conducive to a downtown/financial district worker in an all year round Wool wearing environment.

But since living in Honolulu, I find my dress to be much more casual than what I would want from a Nordstrom. The weather is considerably warmer, and for me, Aloha shirts and dark pants are the norm. I also shop at Ross too and spend far less than I did at Nordstrom or Saks Fifth Avenue or equivalent in Sf.

still, I cannot WAIT to get at their GELATO bar. YUMMMM.
                n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by localmoco View Post
                  I was unpleasantly suprised at how ugly and pedestrian-unfriendly the exterior of the store is.
                  So am I. I don't understand why they couldn't put windows or some kind of display instead of a bare wall. The walls are screaming "I want to get spray painted!"

Comment

Noticed on Thursday night that the bus stop (across the street from Nordstorm) for the 5,6,17,18 and the rest of the Waikiki buses is open now. The parking lot just behind this bus stop still has the construction stuff inside.

And this morning on my way to work I didn't see any kind of line at the Nordstorm enterance on Kapiolani Blvd.

Comment

Originally posted by mergecross View Post
                      So am I. I don't understand why they couldn't put windows or some kind of display instead of a bare wall. The walls are screaming "I want to get spray painted!"
                      I dont know. I think it looks allright. There are mock windows from what I could tell, an there is a ton of foliage all along Kapiolani. I can imagine at one time the foliage will be much more prominent after it grows. It seems quite green right now as it is...
                      n'importe

Comment

While I don't particularly like how it looks now I think that once the vines and foliage mature it'll probably look quite nice. I think I also noticed a vine type mural near the Kapiolani entrance to the parking structure. Can't really remember as I avoid Kapiolani due to all the road work. And, I avoid driving due to the cost of gas!

Comment

shop-a-lea
                          shop-a-palooza
                          shop-a-hiki

I don't even have plans to go. I'm sure I will, but...I've never dropped a dime in Needless Markups.
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                            [...]I don't even have plans to go.[...]
                            Ditto for me. I haven't even made my first trip to Walmart/Sams Club on Keeaumoku yet!

Comment

sorry if I seem partial - but Nordstrom is NOTHING like N/M! They (and N/M) have much of the same merchandise that you will find at Macy's and at the same price. However - their customer service beats everyone! That's what makes the store a fun place to shop. I don't have the income that I had in California so I won't be in the store very often - but I know when I go there, I will be treated the same as if I was still making $55,000 per year. Wow, writing that number really hurts - those days were so much fun! I'm not a "shopper" - I tend to go to a store when I need to buy something. and if I can go to a store, find what I need and get treated right in the process - that's where I will shop.

and when that store has a corporate policy of contributing back into the community? well, that's just an added incentive to give them what little shopping $$$ I have.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I have been to other Nordstroms several times in the past 20 years. I can't see myself queuing up in line to check out a grand opening. Its just a department store.

Comment

Working...
                                X